DO NOT buy a Sony SXRD TV!!!

Z

zschu97

Audiophyte
After a lamp blow out and horrible customer support, I am junking my 1.5 year old Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 50 inch tv. Sony want's $250 plus shipping for a new lamp which is shear lunacy.

So buyer beware with this model or any other SXRD for that matter, either purchase the extended warranty or put a few hundred bucks aside for good measure when purchasing a "Phony" SXRD.

Does anyone have any advice on a 50 inch 1080p DPL technology tv?

Thanks!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The manufacturer isn't the only place to get a replacement lamp. You can usually find them for cheap on ebay, and sometimes you can get just the bulb as you don't need the whole lamp assembly, and it's easy to replace. Just google the part number and you will find some other places to purchase it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
It should be given that this will occur. No offense to the OP but you should have researched more about this type of television. There's a good reason those LCD and DLP projection models are cheaper than LCD and Plasma sets for the size. With a DLP or LCD projection television it's not a matter of will the bulb burn out, it's when. Find out how many hours a bulb is rated for in a particular TV, find out what the cost is to replace it. If you want to save money on your initial purchase by going with a DLP or LCD projection you will end up paying for it later with issues like these.

It pays to do your research. You can't blame this all on Sony, at least not logically. With that said I would follow GlocksRock's advise here and look for an OEM bulb on ebay or some other etailer. I wouldn't want to buy a new one from Sony either, that's silly.:D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Get a Sony XBR KDL-52XBR5

Sony isn't phony you just got a back duck! How much did you use it during 1 1/2 years ? $4000

If you want cheaper look a Vizio VX52LF - 52" LCD FHDTV $2000

=========

You asked about DLP TV (Digital Light Processing) TVs. You don't see many around, nor do you see many OLED or Plasma anymore especailly since LCD has improved so much and become more cost effective.

Of the DLP vendors Panasonic would be my choice, Panasonic 56" DLP Projection TV - PT-56DLX76. But if you think a replacement bulb costs a lot, wait until your rotating mirror color wheel fails on a DLP.

======
Why not just bite the bullet and go with a Pioneer PRO-150FD

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
After a lamp blow out and horrible customer support, I am junking my 1.5 year old Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 50 inch tv. Sony want's $250 plus shipping for a new lamp which is shear lunacy.

So buyer beware with this model or any other SXRD for that matter, either purchase the extended warranty or put a few hundred bucks aside for good measure when purchasing a "Phony" SXRD.

Thanks!
To add to what the others have said, if you're planning on buying a DLP, it will also require a new bulb a few years down the road.

Oh, and don't worry, we all make purchases we aren't happy with, or didn't research well enough, it's all part of the game.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think it is also fairly common knowledge that the bulbs are not cheap either. This isn't something that is new and unexpected, so I'm sorry if I don't have sympathy here. Yes, we all make bad purchases sometimes, but don't try to blame a company for something that is already well known to occur and not as a defect. It is sort of like brakes - they wear out and you don't get to complain when they do (normal lifespan).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja

Thanks!
How much do you think a bulb for a DLP costs from the manufacturer?

This post can't be serious.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I have a Samsung DLP and the bulb for it is about $220 or so. I am on about my third year with no problems yet.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Midcow2 said:
You asked about DLP TV (Digital Light Processing) TVs. You don't see many around, nor do you see many OLED or Plasma anymore especailly since LCD has improved so much and become more cost effective.

Of the DLP vendors Panasonic would be my choice, Panasonic 56" DLP Projection TV - PT-56DLX76. But if you think a replacement bulb costs a lot, wait until your rotating mirror color wheel fails on a DLP.
Huh? OLED sets are still in their infancy. The only one you can buy right now is the first one ever released for sale. It's a Sony 11" OLED for $2,500.

There are still many DLP and plasma sets available. LCD certainly hasn't come far enough to push them out of the market and it will be a while before it even gets close. LCD is far from being cost effective in larger screen sizes compared to DLP or plasma. Sony's 70" XBR LCD costs $30,000. :eek:

As for that Panasonic DLP, I'm not aware of them currently producing one and cannot even find any info about that TV on their website.

Mitsubishi and Samsung are the big players in DLP technology. They still use lamps though and you will still have to replace them periodically for $200+.

zschu97, I hope you're not junking that SXRD simply because the lamp went bad. You have to realize that this is NORMAL for that type of set and it is considered regular maintainence and is not covered under the warranty. The same goes for any rear projection set that uses a high pressure mercury lamp. Mitsubishi is releasing laser based DLP sets later this year but they won't be cheap.

20Glove

Audioholic

Thanks!
I agree with everyone else on here that you have to do research before you buy. I checked the price of the bulb and the rating on the bulb b4 purchasing and talked my local retailer down a few hundred dollars.

I did that and purchased the extended warranty for 5 yrs which cover the bulb 100%. I purchased the warranty for $99. I feel that is fair since the bulbs did cost a lot. The best part is that even if the bulb does not go out ... and they do not do warranty work on the set in 5 yrs... I get the bulb replaced. How could I pass this deal up.

The bulbs on the SXRD's are rated at between 5000 and 8000 hours. Now that being said... that rating is at standard mode... if you use modes like Cinema or have it calibrated... I assume you get more hours... and same is true if you use vivid color... hours would decrease since it is much brighter.

So to everyone, when buying a rear projection with a bulb expect it to go out. Look at the extended warranty... it usually covers the bulb.

I feel for the price that I got my 55" SXRD for and if I keep it past my 5 year warranty period it is much better of a deal than LCD or Plasma. I got it for $1800 less than a 52" Sony LCD (XBR5), $1500 less than the 50" Panasonic Plasma (Th777PXU-I think model #), and what $3300 less than a 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma. So even if I had to pay for bulbs ... in comparison I could replace quite a few bulbs b4 reaching those prices.

I do not think I will ever reach the 60,000 hours or 80,000 hours mark on any TV like the Plasma's and LCD's are rated at. So with the 5 yr warranty and maybe 1-2 bulb replacements I can probably go 10 yrs with paying way less than I would for Plasma and LCD at the same quality level and with the same set of features.

So do not junk your SXRD due to a replacement bulb... go with the bulb.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
After a lamp blow out and horrible customer support...
What poor customer support are you referring to? The type that tells you "Sorry sir, the warranty is expired on your lamp so you must buy a new one."? Did you do any research on RPTV digital displays before purchasing? Are you completely unaware that all rear projection displays which include DLP, LCD (rear projection), and LCoS (SXRD) require lamps which run about $200-$300 on average?

For that matter, all front projectors use these types of lamps as well, and these lamps can burn out rather quickly anywhere over 1,000 hours - sometime a fair bit less.

I am junking my 1.5 year old Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 50 inch tv. Sony want's $250 plus shipping for a new lamp which is shear lunacy.
Not sure where you live, but I'll be happy to take it off your hands - you won't even need to drive to a junkyard.

Extended warranties don't cover wear and tear items such as lamps. You must buy a lamp warranty, which most retail outlets don't offer.

From one unknowledgable purchase to another?

DLP uses projection lamps identical in technology to the ones you were JUST complaining about from Sony. It's like you're a glutton for punishment! Pick a DLP, any company will happily sell you one, then when the lamp blows out - say in a year in a half, they will happily sell you a replacement lamp for $250... heck, maybe even $300.

If you don't want to deal with any of these headaches, get plasma - except you would probably burn it in, so it's best to go with a LCD display and just not worry about things.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Well, I did my research, and still ended up buying an SXRD. The picture quality is phenomenal for the price, so no regrets there. The bulb issue . . . well, here in Canada (I don't know about the States), while there's no warranty on the bulb, Sony Canada will replace the bulb if it blows within the first two years of purchase. So that made me feel good about buying RP.

In my case, the bulb did go, and there was also an issue with a faulty lamp driver. Although my SXRD was one month out of warranty (I didn't buy any extended warranty), Sony provided 100% of the cost for the replacement bulb and lamp driver -- a $750 CND value!

So I give Sony thumbs up for its customer service! :)

cheers,
supervij

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I see the OP gets no sympathy from anyone, good job AH.:D

A

alexsound

Audioholic

Thanks!
Believe it or not, 250 is cheap for a replacement bulb for an DLP/LCOS RPTV.
Some of the bulbs can go as high as 700.00 or more for other models out there from Mitsubishi, Samsung, etc. I did do the research on this and know the bulb for my older Mits will cost me close to 300, but for the price I paid for a 62" with a stand, It will be worth it, once the bulb goes.

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Samsung's LED DLP's. LED should be a lot more reliable and long enduring light source. Granted you still have to worry about the mechanical color wheel mechanism.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
He'll get a little sympathy from me, but that's mainly because I HATE Sony as a company in general. :D

When I was looking at TV's, I looked at an SXRD and I didn't think its picture was near as good as the Samsung LCD I ended up going with.

annunaki

annunaki

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Samsung's LED DLP's. LED should be a lot more reliable and long enduring light source. Granted you still have to worry about the mechanical color wheel mechanism.
It's too bad the contrast ratio SUCKS on those sets for the money. Don't get me wrong, they are decent, but much better can be had for the money, TH-50PZ85U comes to mind.

The life expectancy from Samsung on the LED sets is about 12,500 hrs. At 6 hrs. a day, everyday, that is only 5.7 yrs. Estimated cost to replace the LED system is $750.00

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Even Toyotas and Hondas have some vehicles that fail prematurely, or require more care than others. Unfortunately, that is life in this error prone universe:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis