DO NOT buy a Sony SXRD TV!!!

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
zschu97, you have convinced me to never buy a Sony again.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I see the OP gets no sympathy from anyone, good job AH.:D
an excellent statement. This thread reminds me of a burn in thread on a plasma that went multiple pages:cool:

My bulb whent out on my dlp about a month and a half ago(fairly soon), so i replaced it and then i replaced the tv 2 weeks later, so i guess the only thing i was bitter about was having to reprogram the remote for the new tv:p btw the dlp looks fantastic with the new bulb.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Okay my responses

Huh? OLED sets are still in their infancy. The only one you can buy right now is the first one ever released for sale. It's a Sony 11" OLED for $2,500.
My point is they were/are new technology that has not progressed very fast or very far to the consumer. you gotta admit, no one would buy an 11" for $2,500. They are still in the reasearch and testing and if and when they continue the price poijnt is not where close to being a competitor.

There are still many DLP and plasma sets available. LCD certainly hasn't come far enough to push them out of the market and it will be a while before it even gets close. LCD is far from being cost effective in larger screen sizes compared to DLP or plasma. Sony's 70" XBR LCD costs $30,000. :eek:

Weell LCDs are good in the 52" or 54" size. The Sony KDL-70XBR3 actually retails for $32,9999.99 It is analogous to Ford GT-40 at $150,000 it shows off technology, but is not meant for sales to the masses, but not many Ford buyers are in the market for the GT40 either.

I will give up that in the range 60-72+ inches LCD does not currently fit in an DLP and other projection systems come into play. There are trade-offs on all technologies, but as you get larger and larger you tend to lose sharpness and color saturation. LCDs have better color saturation and better sharpness than DLP at a given resolution and the DLP picture does not appear rich and vibrant.

The persistance of LCDs has been improved so that fast motion is not longer a problem. However, they are still not as good at deeper blacks as Plama. According to one blog about 2008 CES, Plasma is giving way to LCD.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=948

But if you want really really big get a Panasonic TH46PXZ850.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
This is a bit like buying a Civic and getting pissed that you need to put new tires on in 3 years.

Then claiming you're tossing the Civic because Honda sucks ***. And you're buying a Cobalt instead.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I can't beleive all you guy's are attacking the OP? He apparently expressed some displeasure with Sony's customer service and you guy's are burying him. We have all experienced some form of poor customer and I for one can understand that.;)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I can't beleive all you guy's are attacking the OP? He apparently expressed some displeasure with Sony's customer service and you guy's are burying him. We have all experienced some form of poor customer and I for one can understand that.;)
The "poor customer service" is Sony not replacing (free of charge) a consumable lamp on a rear projection TV 1.5 years after purchase.

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of Nike shoes that wore-out so next time I will buy New Balance, Nike wont even return my calls.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
These lamps ought to run longer than 1.5 years, when you buy these things they tell you three years, and then the companies are surprised when you call up complaining. Manufacturers also shouldn't try to screw people on the price, that being said though, $250 is not a bad price. It wouldn't make me happy, but if this is just a dud of a bulb, you could be far worse off. You could be one of the many consumers who spent more on a LCD or Plasma and are starting to have much more expensive problems, or problems that can only be resolved by pitching it in the trash.

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
Yeah, they say three years based on a certain usage per day/week/whatever. Use it more than that, and you'll replace it sooner. I always thought that was fairly common knowledge.

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
I think that is common knowledge, but I am betting this guy didn't get the average life out of his bulb. 1.5 years versus 3, that is a big difference, especially since these bulbs are supposed to last 8000 hours, that would be 14 hours a day and then some.

If I had time, I would start saving receipts on these extra long light bulbs I buy at my office. In big print on the box it says last 2 years or like 2400 hours guaranteed. Never happens.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
If you would quit running over broken DLP lamps ...

I have a pair of Nike shoes that wore-out so next time I will buy New Balance, Nike wont even return my calls.
...your running shoes would last longer!! :D

Hey sticking up for OP. Yes, DLP lamps burn out and they need to be replaced! And amybe Op didn't realize thewhat the cost would be ...But maybe, just maybe, the Customer Support person at Sony did not handle the inquiry with most finesse or polish.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Well, Sony's done away with the SXRD line, so there's not much chance of too many people buying one anymore.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
...your running shoes would last longer!! :D

Hey sticking up for OP. Yes, DLP lamps burn out and they need to be replaced! And amybe Op didn't realize thewhat the cost would be ...But maybe, just maybe, the Customer Support person at Sony did not handle the inquiry with most finesse or polish.
Exactly and once his frustration subsided I am pretty sure he realized replacing the bulb would be a much more cost effective than replacing the tv.:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
These lamps ought to run longer than 1.5 years, when you buy these things they tell you three years, and then the companies are surprised when you call up complaining. Manufacturers also shouldn't try to screw people on the price, that being said though, $250 is not a bad price. It wouldn't make me happy, but if this is just a dud of a bulb, you could be far worse off. You could be one of the many consumers who spent more on a LCD or Plasma and are starting to have much more expensive problems, or problems that can only be resolved by pitching it in the trash.
The longevity (relative to time in ownership) is relative to the usage and settings of the TV. Good grief, this is ridiculous. RESEARCH! I can't say it enough. Sorry for the seemingly negative attitude, but maybe this will jar the OP into doing a little more of the "R" word next time they decide to get a new TV. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just unbelievable how unreasonable people are at times, especially when it's something that's been brought to consumers' attention on numerous accounts.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not trying to be mean, it's just unbelievable how unreasonable people are at times, especially when it's something that's been brought to consumers' attention on numerous accounts.
Like for example how burn-in is still very much a real possibility and in fact somewhat probable with plasma and yet 'LCD vs Plasma' type threads go on and on with the plasma fans dismissing every potential negative because of good 'picture quality'?

No amount of 'research' will convince you until you own and live with something for awhile. It's like everything else, once you actually buy something and personally experience the potential negative (in this case a short-lived lamp) you will shout from the rafters how much it sucks even though your case may be an isolated incident. I know one person that has replaced his bulb every single year and another that is going on five years with the original. You just can't tell what your experience may bring. You should always do 'worst case' analysis and determine what you can live with should the worst case come true.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The longevity (relative to time in ownership) is relative to the usage and settings of the TV. Good grief, this is ridiculous. RESEARCH! I can't say it enough. Sorry for the seemingly negative attitude, but maybe this will jar the OP into doing a little more of the "R" word next time they decide to get a new TV. I'm not trying to be mean, it's just unbelievable how unreasonable people are at times, especially when it's something that's been brought to consumers' attention on numerous accounts.
Like you RESEARCHED everything you buy? I think in certain cases some may purchased products in relation to cost. I have a question:)? All of you guys who have posted here burying the OP can honestly say have never taken isssue with something you've bought and warned a friend about it!:confused:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Like you RESEARCHED everything you buy? I think in certain cases some may purchased products in relation to cost. I have a question:)? All of you guys who have posted here burying the OP can honestly say have never taken isssue with something you've bought and warned a friend about it!:confused:
Most things I buy I have some understanding of it's value before I buy it. I can't recal the last time I was stuck with bum piece of equipment. For example, the Monitor Audio speakers I just purchased. I knew at first glance they where worth more than the $70 I was about to pay for them. I knew the Insignia receiver I own was made by Sherwood before I bought it, I knew the Teac was a high grade product before I purchased it.

The biggest dud I ever bought was the Sunfire TrueSub. I bought it having heard it in another setup (and it sounded awesome) and having read reviews that where glowing for it. It never worked in my setup, maybe I just never got the placement right.

I have spent countless hours looking at all kinds of speakers and I am quite familier with brands and how they stack up to one another. Truth be told, one can only do so much research on speakers, you have to listen for yourself.

So for the most part I do research most everything I buy.;) If I am going to make a big purchase on something as expensive as the OPs TV, you bet your *** I am going to be doing a ton of research. There would be no question about that, I wouldn't make an impulse purchase on something that much.

E

E-A-G-L-E-S

Full Audioholic
Like for example how burn-in is still very much a real possibility and in fact somewhat probable with plasma and yet 'LCD vs Plasma' type threads go on and on with the plasma fans dismissing every potential negative because of good 'picture quality'?

No amount of 'research' will convince you until you own and live with something for awhile. It's like everything else, once you actually buy something and personally experience the potential negative (in this case a short-lived lamp) you will shout from the rafters how much it sucks even though your case may be an isolated incident. I know one person that has replaced his bulb every single year and another that is going on five years with the original. You just can't tell what your experience may bring. You should always do 'worst case' analysis and determine what you can live with should the worst case come true.
I know you are a knowledgeable guy, but I think you might need to do some personal-hands on at home research on this one with current displays.
I would have to try pretty darn hard to get IR let alone burn-in on my Pioneer Elite 1150.
The Samsung 5084 plasma I owned before was fairly easy to get IR with but not burn-in.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis