DIY subwoofer question...yes another one...

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's typical ground loop. If you can run an extension cord from the Crown to the same outlet your receiver is plugged into. This isn't meant to be a permanent solution but your hum SHOULD go away. This is simply a test.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
They are plugged into the same power strip...
Bu just on a whim...
I tried unplugging the TV, satellite receiver, etc...
But I never unplugged the HDMI from the satellite receiver or the COAX going from the receiver into the TV...
DING..DING...we have a winner...I always thought it was the TV power cord that needed to be unplugged...
Disconnecting the HDMI or COAX from the satellite receiver...hum is gone...YES...
Now i just nee to find the permanent solution to that...

Now another question regarding the pollyfill...
I put in 20oz in each cabinet...should I add more...?
I will say these subwofers are AWESOME....
I have the crown set for lowbypass...and the gains are only up to 6.5...they can shake the house....
I cant imagine anything more....

Again thank you for all your help and design experimenting...
I found the Speaker Design works website...from the Statements link on your signature...:)
I see more speaker builds in my future...

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you have a modern AVR you can set the Crown for Stereo ByPass and let the AVR handle the crossover function (slope and frequency).

I would add another 20-30 oz of poly-fill. That will tame any sloppiness with the sub. For the gain on the Crown: With no program material playing turn up the gain all the way and listen for any hiss.

If none you can run the Crown at full gain and then enable the Peak-X limiters and run the AVR auto-correction routine.

Glad you like the subs.

How much do you have invested all in?

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Wood...$160...used Baltic birch...if I would have used Home Depot birch plywood would have been $100
Drivers from amazon...$260
Used crown xls1500 amp ...$190
Speaker wire, banana plugs, terminal cups...$80...used good stuff....
Total...$690...
Gotta think I am ahead of the game compared to what that would get me from one of the big box stores...which is the only left anymore these days...
I'm just getting the setup adjusted...but it's way beyond what I expected it to sound like....it has a nice high quality sound...the system is hardly being pushed...

Only thing left is to get some kind of filter/transformer to eliminate the ground loop hum...and put in some more pollyfill...

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Put in the additional 20oz pollyfill in each cabinet...
Got a ground loop isolator from Jensen transformers...
Watched Expendables 2 last night, i know bad movie, but awesome action and blowing stuff up...
Even the wife was impressed....
She said to be sure and post up just how good these things are..
they provide movie theater impact without being too much...
She even said this..."We need a bigger TV down here"...
The subs are on the system in the basement...
I think i have a very high WAF rating with these...

jinjuku

jinjuku

Glad you like them. Even though there are a bunch of builds out there now I still see people not believing what a few $60 drivers can do in a dual opposed configuration.

R

rspacher

Audioholic Intern
Again they are awesome...
Thanks again for figuring out that design...
You would have to have a very large room to need more than what that design does...
If you needed more...build 4 of them...
4 of these...that would be off the scale......!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis