Dirac Live RC Suite Stereo PC version

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think there is a Dirac Live thread for the PC version on Audioholics.com. So I created this thread for users/AH members ( hopefully there are a few) to share their experiences and opinions.

Since Audyssey does not offer any PC standalone version, Dirac Live seems to be my only option, and fortunately they do offer a free trial period. So I have been test driving it for some time and finally pressed the "BUY NOW" button yesterday.

The reasons I finally decided to pull the trigger were:
a) It works.
b) The user interface is very good, the fact that it runs on PC is a big plus for me.
c) Excellent usability, most importantly, I can use it on any of my desktop and laptop PCs so I can use it on multiple systems.
d) Fantastic support, you open a ticket at their help desk and you get timely responses.

In addition to sharing experiences and opinions, it would be nice to see others post their REW graphs too, so we can compare, and learn from each other.

So far I have run DL on 3 of my stereo systems, one being a desktop system. I have listened to them long enough now that I feel confident to confirm the benefits DL claimed on their website, may be not totally, but almost.

Digital room correction – Dirac Live - Dirac

"Dirac Live delivers a larger sweet spot, accurate staging, clarity, voice intelligibility, and a deeper, tighter bass not otherwise possible. Fully tunable to your preference."

I used to think this DL version is way overpriced, but now that I know I can run it on all 3 of my stereo systems with one license, I actually consider the price very reasonable.

Below is the left channel FR for the desktop system. Being a desktop setup, I didn't expect much, but was nicely surprised when I first heard the improved transparency that is unmistakable. After running REW to see what's changed, it is obvious that most of the perceived improvements are in the 60 - 600 Hz range. I have since removed the subwoofer because the bass is so good that I prefer the overall sound quality without the subwoofer. If this version works with 2.1 I might have kept the sub, but it only works with 2.0. You can, of course, pay more and get the multichannel version.

Dirac Live Room Correction Suite – Dirac

1648932965883.jpeg

For those who want to improve their stereo system's sound quality, I would highly recommend this product. Any questions are welcome and if I don't have the answer I should be able to get it from their support/help desk.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Have run it on 3 systems now, all 3 sounds clearly better to me with DL3 on. Below are the FR curves for the Focal 1028 Be:

Left speaker:

1028Be_L_DL_On_Off.jpg

Right speaker:

1028Be_R_DL_On_Off.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Here are the R900s in another room, see that tons of bass booms were cut, just like Audyssey, no wonder bass heads don't like RC. Dirac always has the edge because you can play with the target curve, Audyssey users could only do so with the $20 app, but as we know some would just increase the sub levels by a few dB, but that is only if they have subs.

I still have to find a not difficult way to run Dirac on the HT system's front left/right channels, will do so on time permitting basis.

R900_Left_DL3_On_vs_Off_26.03.2022.jpg

R900_Right_DL3_On_vs_Off_26.03.2022.jpg

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Before I plot/post more REW measurements, any special requests for some particular graphs you would like to see?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How does the PC version work?

I get the Room Measurement part. But how do you get your AVR to do the Room Correction from the PC?

So the Dirac PC Processor Software does the Room Correction ON THE PC, then outputs PMC signal to the AVR?

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How does the PC version work?

I get the Room Measurement part. But how do you get your AVR to do the Room Correction from the PC?

So the Dirac PC Processor Software does the Room Correction ON THE PC, then outputs PMC signal to the AVR?
Good thing you ask, I should have talked about the setup and connections. You don't need to use it with an AVR but you can, as long as you use a PC/laptop with the AVR. It runs on the PC, windows or Mac OS (not sure about Linux). Once installed successfully you can run it with the Umik-1 or other compatible mics.

After that, it will just work with the PC whether you play music with Foobar, JRiver or streaming, or whatever you play from the PC/laptop. As I am typing I am streaming from Amazon music unlimited.

It works behind the scene, but you can switch if on/off any time, so it is very easy to compare the On vs Off effect.

I will post more screen shots when I have some spare time.

1649529382218.png

Edited with a different screenshot to show the oval shape button. Cannot get it on full page though That's the one you can toggle Dirac Live On and Off, the change is practically instantaneous.

Attachments

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And I just started listening to Youtube's so called high resolution music, still sound better with DL on. The bass got so much better on my desktop system that I put the subwoofer in a large Glad bag and it is not on the shelf in the basement.:D

Mind you not everyone can do that, I can because after I build the BMR, I demoted the LS50s to the desktop and we all know the small LS50 is near full range for near field listening, provided they get EQ'ed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Good thing you ask, I should have talked about the setup and connections. You don't need to use it with an AVR but you can, as long as you use a PC/laptop with the AVR. It runs on the PC, windows or Mac OS (not sure about Linux). Once installed successfully you can run it with the Umik-1 or other compatible mics.

After that, it will just work with the PC whether you play music with Foobar, JRiver or streaming, or whatever you play from the PC/laptop. As I am typing I am streaming from Amazon music unlimited.

It works behind the scene, but you can switch if on/off any time, so it is very easy to compare the On vs Off effect.

I will post more screen shots when I have some spare time.

View attachment 55265
So the PC serves as the Processor since it takes the Sound, then EQ the sound first before it outputs the sound to the AVR via HDMI?

Source on HTPC --> Dirac EQ on HTPC --> HDMI to AVR?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So the PC serves as the Processor since it takes the Sound, then EQ the sound first before it outputs the sound to the AVR via HDMI?

Music File or YouTube on PC --> Dirac EQ on PC --> HDMI to AVR?
Yes, though I haven' actually tried that yet, may be in a few days time I will For now, I guess @flak3 can give a more definitive answer. In terms of usability and sound quality that I have experienced, It is really better than I expected. Did I mention that you can run it on multiple PCs or one one laptop that you can run multiple projects for multiple two channel systems? Very cost effective for people like you and I who have more than one system. You can also get 7.1.2 but it cost $150 more.

If in doubt, It is easy to do a free trial especially when you already have the Umik-1 Mic. Like Jim, I hope you can find the mic though. :D If you are not sure how to go about getting the free trial, I am sure @flak3 would be willing to help.

You know I am one of those who hate to use the term "night and day" difference, not for preamp, dacs and power amps anyway. For Dirac on vs off, especially on my desktop system, I could almost convince myself that under some conditions, such as playback of certain media contents, even Youtube's, there really seem to be night and day kind of improvement.:)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, though I haven' actually tried that yet...
But you are listening to your speakers, so how is the PC connected to your speakers?

I thought the PC is connected to your AVR, which is connected to the speakers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
R900 impulse response, Dirac On vs Off:

I don't know enough about how to compare impulse response for 3 - way speakers, but I know enough to say Dirac did do a good job, the results below seem obvious.

The ones for Audyssey were plotted long time ago when I still have the AV8801, the mic positions were quite different, and the speaker placements were also different though not as much. So they are not for a proper comparison but just to get an idea. I am sure there are better ways to look at the impulse response, but I am still at the stage of reading up on the topic.

R900 Left channel impulse response DL3 On.jpg

R900 Left channel impulse response DL3 Off.jpg

R900 Left channel impulse response Audyssey Ref.jpg

R900 Left channel impulse response Audyssey Off.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But you are listening to your speakers, so how is the PC connected to your speakers?

I thought the PC is connected to your AVR, which is connected to the speakers?
You are correct, I do plan on connecting from PC to my AVR, once that's done, it will be a matter of selecting the right input and play whatever is played on the PC because the speakers are already connected to the AVR.

I am not using it with an AVR yet so I am having the following connection/signal path using my desktop system for the past several weeks:

PC USB output to DAC USB input.
USB output to my integrated amp analog input.
Then obviously integrated amp output to speakers.

When I have time, I will try the following:

Option 1: PC laptop HDMI output to AVR input.

Option 2: PC laptop USB output to DAC USB input, such as the one on my Oppo BDP105 or any of my external DAC
Then DAC analog output (none of my DACs have HDMI output) to the AVR's input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are correct, I do plan on connecting from PC to my AVR, once that's done, it will be a matter of selecting the right input and play whatever is played on the PC because the speakers are already connected to the AVR.

I am not using it with an AVR yet so I am having the following connection/signal path using my desktop system for the past several weeks:

PC USB output to DAC USB input.
USB output to my integrated amp analog input.
Then obviously integrated amp output to speakers.

When I have time, I will try the following:

Option 1: PC laptop HDMI output to AVR input.

Option 2: PC laptop USB output to DAC USB input, such as the one on my Oppo BDP105 or any of my external DAC
Then DAC analog output (none of my DACs have HDMI output) to the AVR's input.
The next question is, will the Dirac Live output signal from the PC (USB, HDMI, etc.) be Bitstream so that our AVR/AVP can decode it to Dolby ATMOS, DTS, DD, etc.?

Not for me personally, but this would be a game changer for people who want Dirac Live on their HTPC, but don't want to buy a new AVP that cost $4K+. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The next question is, will the Dirac Live output signal from the PC (USB, HDMI, etc.) be Bitstream so that our AVR/AVP can decode it to Dolby ATMOS, DTS, DD, etc.?

Not for me personally, but this would be a game changer for people who want Dirac Live on their HTPC, but don't want to buy a new AVP that cost $4K+. :D
I don't see why not, in fact I have been thinking about the same, that HTPC could be an alternate path to the AVP/AVR one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see why not, in fact I have been thinking about the same, that HTPC could be an alternate path to the AVP/AVR one.
Well, as soon as you can CONFIRM that you can BITSTREAM the Dirac Output from your PC to the AVR for Atmos, we’ll start a thread about using the HTPC as an AVP. :D

We know those $20-30K AVPs are PC-based. :D

flak3

flak3

Enthusiast
R900 impulse response, Dirac On vs Off:

I don't know enough about how to compare impulse response for 3 - way speakers, but I know enough to say Dirac did do a good job, the results below seem obvious.

The ones for Audyssey were plotted long time ago when I still have the AV8801, the mic positions were quite different, and the speaker placements were also different though not as much. So they are not for a proper comparison but just to get an idea. I am sure there are better ways to look at the impulse response, but I am still at the stage of reading up on the topic.

View attachment 55275

View attachment 55279

View attachment 55282

View attachment 55281
Nice findings... your measurements with comparisons speak for themselves!
In an ideal world there would be nothing below, before, and after the impulse itself:

impulse response.png

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, as soon as you can CONFIRM that you can BITSTREAM the Dirac Output from your PC to the AVR for Atmos, we’ll start a thread about using the HTPC as an AVP. :D

We know those $20-30K AVPs are PC-based. :D
For me I would need to upgrade my DL3 license to the one for multi channels in order to do a proper test. Hopefully @flak3 can comment on the HTPC and bitstream for the AVRs/AVPs to decode Atmos DTS:X etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For me I would need to upgrade my DL3 license to the one for multi channels in order to do a proper test. Hopefully @flak3 can comment on the HTPC and bitstream for the AVRs/AVPs to decode Atmos DTS:X etc.
Well, couldn't you bitstream the 2CH DIRAC to the AVR?

Of course, only the Front L/R would get DIRAC-EQ for the 2CH-DIRAC, but the main thing is to be able to BITSTREAM ANY DIRAC output to the AVR.

With a HTPC playing 4K-BD discs and streaming contents (music, 4K-TV, 4K-movies), if the HTPC can bitstream the 2CH-DIRAC to the AVR for ATMOS, people would not need to upgrade the AVR/AVP for DIRAC.

Heck, you might even see me do DIRAC just to say that I could do it. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, couldn't you bitstream the 2CH DIRAC to the AVR?

Of course, only the Front L/R would get DIRAC-EQ for the 2CH-DIRAC, but the main thing is to be able to BITSTREAM ANY DIRAC output to the AVR.

With a HTPC playing 4K-BD discs and streaming contents (music, 4K-TV, 4K-movies), if the HTPC can bitstream the 2CH-DIRAC to the AVR for ATMOS, people would not need to upgrade the AVR/AVP for DIRAC.

Heck, you might even see me do DIRAC just to say that I could do it. :D
I tried it with one Atmos movie, when I set the player to bitstream via HDMI, it worked perfectly except it downmixed to Stereo and PCM. Apparently, and unfortunately, it cannot do what you (and me too...) want it to do. So it is PCM only, not really a problem except then you won't get Atmos, or DTS:X, X Pro I would assume. For the exact reasons and future development if there is any chance, I would have to defer it to @flak3 again.

Still, I highly recommend you try it for two channel music. The ease of creating multiple target curves and switching between the curves on the fly alone is worth the cost. Of course that is not the case for people who want to run auto RC once and then leave it alone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis