Dip In The SACD Pool

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My "new" 4K UHD Blu-ray player also plays SACD's so I bought a couple of discs to try it out. Not impressive, the sound seems "muddy" or "muffled"
Maybe I've got the wrong combination for playing SACD.
Yamaha RX-A2A receiver, Sony UBP-X700 /M 4k UHD player. DefTech Studio Monitor 65 speakers. SVS SB2000 subwoofers (2).
HDMI 2.1 cables, 48Gbps connects the Sony player to the Yamaha AVR. 3 feet long, can't go shorter unless I stack components on each other.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
My "new" 4K UHD Blu-ray player also plays SACD's so I bought a couple of discs to try it out. Not impressive, the sound seems "muddy" or "muffled"
Yamaha RX-A2A receiver, Sony UBP-X700 /M 4k UHD player. DefTech Studio Monitor 65 speakers. SVS SB2000 subwoofers (2).
HDMI 2.1 cables, 48Gbps connects the Sony player to the Yamaha AVR. 3 feet long, can't go shorter unless I stack components on each other.
Nothing wrong with your gear or hookup.
Many SACD's just don't sound very good.....they almost always are lower in volume than their Redbook counterparts.
They seemed to be a marketing scheme from the start (earliest selling of Hi-Rez audio), and their demise is justified.

The only plus side is the 5.1 mixes available on many.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
All SACDs are not equal. If you want a realy good sounding 5 channel SACD, I would highly recomment the Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" CD. I think you would find the sound to be top notch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What discs did you get? 2ch or multich? Quality of recordings aren't just about the media.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Most of my SACD/DSD content sounds good. Not necessarily noticeably better than redbook CD, but fine. I don't really go in for the multichannel mixes on them, but I can see the argument for that being the more overt benefit of the format over CD.

In a lot of cases, the SACD is also a remaster, so it's just different than the CD anyways. That can be an improvement or not just on that metric.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
SACD was always a dumb and really dumb audiophool concoction. It was devised because the absurd and totally wrong notion of the "step" theory of PCM. That was debunked at the outset, but you know audiophools and their "magic" cables etc. Those loons have no time for science or logic. The only benefit was that it did support multichannel audio with five discrete channels rather than the two of the CD.

However it does not stop there, as single bit DSD is a huge pain to master, process and edit. So pretty soon everyone stopped doing that including its most vociferous proponents. So, when all was done a dusted they converted the final product to DSD. They kept darn quiet about that though, until their cover was blown.

It is an awkward inconvenient system without merit. Have you got that "you dim as ditchwater audiophools"?

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
SACD was always a dumb and really dumb audiophool concoction. It was devised because the absurd and totally wrong notion of the "step" theory of PCM. That was debunked at the outset, but you know audiophools and their "magic" cables etc. Those loons have no time for science or logic. The only benefit was that it did support multichannel audio with five discrete channels rather than the two of the CD.

However it does not stop there, as single bit DSD is a huge pain to master, process and edit. So pretty soon everyone stopped doing that including its most vociferous proponents. So, when all was done a dusted they converted the final product to DSD. They kept darn quiet about that though, until their cover was blown.

It is an awkward inconvenient system without merit. Have you got that "you dumb as ditchwater audiophools"?
My multichannel SACDs sounds very nice, though.

And SACD and DVD-A were essentially the only practical choices for high quality formats available to the consumer at that time.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My multichannel SACDs sounds very nice, though.
So do mine, but they would sound just as good in multichannel PCM. The proponents actually admit that as everything is PCM until the final master.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So do mine, but they would sound just as good in multichannel PCM. The proponents actually admit that as everything is PCM until the final master.
Absolutly, and that is what my Oppo converts to before sending it to my receiver. My interest in SACD is in the multichannel layer.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
What discs did you get? 2ch or multich? Quality of recordings aren't just about the media.
Japanese imports.
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
DSD flat transfer from US original analogue master tapes by Warren Sokol at Universal Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA in 2013
Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2013

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
DSD flat transfer from UK original analogue master tapes by Mick Mckenna & Richard Whittaker at FX Copyroom, London in 2014
Edited in DSD by Masaru Takagi (SIProject) at Sunrise Studio, Tokyo in 2014.

Both read "SHM DSD Single Layer" on the disc. (greenish color) Japanese imports.

No indication of multi or 2 channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Japanese imports.
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
DSD flat transfer from US original analogue master tapes by Warren Sokol at Universal Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA in 2013
Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2013

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
DSD flat transfer from UK original analogue master tapes by Mick Mckenna & Richard Whittaker at FX Copyroom, London in 2014
Edited in DSD by Masaru Takagi (SIProject) at Sunrise Studio, Tokyo in 2014.

Both read "SHM DSD Single Layer" on the disc. (greenish color) Japanese imports.

No indication of multi or 2 channel.
It would indicate surround/multich if it had such. I do like the Brothers in Arms multich sacd I have (5.1 20th anny from Vertigo) but then even vinyl sounds great for that particular recording, it's just an excellent recording. I don't have an sacd for Breakfast in America but haven't run across a multich version but generally I find Supertramp recordings to be quite good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis