Dip In The SACD Pool

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
My "new" 4K UHD Blu-ray player also plays SACD's so I bought a couple of discs to try it out. Not impressive, the sound seems "muddy" or "muffled"
Maybe I've got the wrong combination for playing SACD.
Yamaha RX-A2A receiver, Sony UBP-X700 /M 4k UHD player. DefTech Studio Monitor 65 speakers. SVS SB2000 subwoofers (2).
HDMI 2.1 cables, 48Gbps connects the Sony player to the Yamaha AVR. 3 feet long, can't go shorter unless I stack components on each other.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
My "new" 4K UHD Blu-ray player also plays SACD's so I bought a couple of discs to try it out. Not impressive, the sound seems "muddy" or "muffled"
Yamaha RX-A2A receiver, Sony UBP-X700 /M 4k UHD player. DefTech Studio Monitor 65 speakers. SVS SB2000 subwoofers (2).
HDMI 2.1 cables, 48Gbps connects the Sony player to the Yamaha AVR. 3 feet long, can't go shorter unless I stack components on each other.
Nothing wrong with your gear or hookup.
Many SACD's just don't sound very good.....they almost always are lower in volume than their Redbook counterparts.
They seemed to be a marketing scheme from the start (earliest selling of Hi-Rez audio), and their demise is justified.

The only plus side is the 5.1 mixes available on many.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
All SACDs are not equal. If you want a realy good sounding 5 channel SACD, I would highly recomment the Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" CD. I think you would find the sound to be top notch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What discs did you get? 2ch or multich? Quality of recordings aren't just about the media.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Most of my SACD/DSD content sounds good. Not necessarily noticeably better than redbook CD, but fine. I don't really go in for the multichannel mixes on them, but I can see the argument for that being the more overt benefit of the format over CD.

In a lot of cases, the SACD is also a remaster, so it's just different than the CD anyways. That can be an improvement or not just on that metric.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis