Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard Blu-ray

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I heard it was a hardware related issue that it won't be able to output TrueHD or DTS-HD MA over bitstream, but who really knows. As long as I'm able to get it one way or another I'll be happy. I really really hate missing out on this high quality DTS when my receiver can decode it, but my players can't either decode it, or send it out via bitstream. :mad:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard it was a hardware related issue that it won't be able to output TrueHD or DTS-HD MA over bitstream, but who really knows. As long as I'm able to get it one way or another I'll be happy. I really really hate missing out on this high quality DTS when my receiver can decode it, but my players can't either decode it, or send it out via bitstream. :mad:
Seems like it's easier to send bitstream than do internal decode. All of the players than can do DTS-MA right now (or by December) are all bitstream. Also the new Sony blu-ray players can only send bitstream. None of the Sony's new upcoming BD players can Internally decode DTS-MA.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I just watched this last weekend and the scene in the tunnel where Bruce and the kid duck under the flipping car totally bottomed out my 10" sub!!!! :eek:

I think that scene was even deeper than the Ironhide flip scene from Transformers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just watched this last weekend and the scene in the tunnel where Bruce and the kid duck under the flipping car totally bottomed out my 10" sub!!!! :eek:

I think that scene was even deeper than the Ironhide flip scene from Transformers.
I think the whole DH4 soundtrack is a lot better than Transformers.
Yeah, my walls were definitely shaking during the entire DH4 BD movie.

Here's my impression:
With DH4, you get HEAVY BASS even when you least expect them.
With Transformers, sometimes you don't get the EXPECTED BASS to go along with the scenes.

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Wanted to add my 2 cent to this since I watched it 2 nights ago on the PS3. The sound in this rocked the SH!T out of my system. It was the best blue ray disc for sound I have watched yet (including 5th element, swordfish, and quite a few others I have). Very impressed.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, the sound was amazing, I just picked this disc up, along with the remastered 5th Element over the weekend. Since I got my new tv, I re level matched my speakers and made the sub a little hotter, I'll have to go back and watch parts of that again, especially near the end when he is in the semi.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw it this weekend on SDVD and I loved this movie. There's no such thing as a bad "Die hard" movie. I think though that the Bourne Ultimatum had a better soundtrack than the Live Free or Die Hard.

J

JBthatsme

Enthusiast
I have it on blu ray and yes the bass is deep and thunderus and the sound is crisp and clear everyone needs this movie, a must have for sound a vison.. Its movies like this that make the $1000's of dollars spent worth every penny :D

Crackerballer

Crackerballer

Senior Audioholic
Completely agree. I have to send off my odl copy of 5th element. I got it last year on Christmas Eve so I need to send it in to get the new one.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i just got my copy of this movie :) will watch it on BD this friday!

it was a christmas gift that was just given to me because I got black hawk down on christmas day, so my sis had it changed to this movie. (was a choice between T3 or this one)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, the sound was amazing, I just picked this disc up, along with the remastered 5th Element over the weekend. Since I got my new tv, I re level matched my speakers and made the sub a little hotter, I'll have to go back and watch parts of that again, especially near the end when he is in the semi.
You lucky DAWG!
I just now notice you got your new 73" MIT DLP!!!
Congrats!

And I thought I couldn't wait!:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Saw it this weekend on SDVD and I loved this movie. There's no such thing as a bad "Die hard" movie. I think though that the Bourne Ultimatum had a better soundtrack than the Live Free or Die Hard.
Well, I would not bother buying DH 1 or 2 on BD because they don't sound very good at all! DH 3 & 4 are the only two that have great soundtracks, although DH4 is the best!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You lucky DAWG!
I just now notice you got your new 73" MIT DLP!!!
Congrats!

And I thought I couldn't wait!:D
That tv is just huge, I spent some time yesterday trying to tweak the picture. I wish I knew what all the settings in the service menu were for, I'm sure it could look a lot better with an ISF calibration, but I can't really afford that right now. But it still looks great, and was well worth the money, it also makes playing Xbox 360 and PS3 much better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That tv is just huge, I spent some time yesterday trying to tweak the picture. I wish I knew what all the settings in the service menu were for, I'm sure it could look a lot better with an ISF calibration, but I can't really afford that right now. But it still looks great, and was well worth the money, it also makes playing Xbox 360 and PS3 much better.
Yeah, after hours of adjusting the picture using Video Essentials, I ended up just keeping all the Video settings the same (Contrast 100%) and turned the Sharpness down to 0%.:D

When the picture already looks great, you don't need to change a whole lot.

I know most experts recommend decreasing the Contrast level WAY DOWN, but I just prefer that HIGH contrast look.

So did you have to get a new TV stand or cradenza with it?

If I upgrade my TV from 62" to 73", I will probably need to also upgrade my cradenza.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Nah, I just kept my same stand since the tv's base fits on it just fine, even though the stand is designed for a 50" TV. If I had gotten a stand the width of the tv, I would have nowhere to put my media PC. I'll have to post some pics of my setup in the members gallery soon, now that my system is finished (until I decide what to upgrade next).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...now that my system is finished (until I decide what to upgrade next).
No...Don't upgrade anything.:D

That will be very contagious!

Just sit back and enjoy the influx of BDs & HD DVDs from Netflix or Blockbuster.:)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sure I won't be upgrading anything else for a while. The only other things I would consider upgrading would be the center channel, I would like the CLR2300 and/or upgrading my BP1.2x to some BP2x, but I'm not really sure I would get much extra benefit from those. Probably would get some benefit from having a sub in the center channel, but it sounds plenty good for now, so I'll just enjoy it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure I won't be upgrading anything else for a while. The only other things I would consider upgrading would be the center channel, I would like the CLR2300 and/or upgrading my BP1.2x to some BP2x, but I'm not really sure I would get much extra benefit from those. Probably would get some benefit from having a sub in the center channel, but it sounds plenty good for now, so I'll just enjoy it.
What all of us are doing is really sick!

You know you won't significantly benefit by just adding a subwoofer inside that center speaker or just by increasing the size of the surround speakers.

And yet, you still think about over and over again!

You are an audioholic!

Sick, sick, sick.:D

Most people I know who owns a CLR2300, CLR2500, or CLR3000 keep the subwoofer gain control to about 10 O'clock because they say they don't want too much boomy bass from the Center speaker. So why even have a subwoofer in the center speaker?

Isn't the LOWEST human voice frequency around 80Hz anyway? Isn't the Center speaker mainly for the voice/dialogue?:D

Sick, sick, sick.:)

And I am really sick too!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, I admit it, I am an audioholic... I need to go to AA meetings.

I also keep thinking about how I would love to have a bigger, better sub, like a Plus/2, or an Ultra 13, or even a Trinity. But I know what I have now is plenty, I just want more. Maybe I'll start saving now for when the dual ultra is released I can get a preoder price on it! I already have the biggest tv on the block, why not have the biggest sub on the block too.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I admit it, I am an audioholic... I need to go to AA meetings.

I also keep thinking about how I would love to have a bigger, better sub, like a Plus/2, or an Ultra 13, or even a Trinity. But I know what I have now is plenty, I just want more. Maybe I'll start saving now for when the dual ultra is released I can get a preoder price on it! I already have the biggest tv on the block, why not have the biggest sub on the block too.
There you go!

They have a DUAL Ultra-13?

Dang. That is really sick!

It will surely blow away even the ED and Epik Conquest!

Why not?

But doesn't the current SVS Sub already shake the heck out of your walls?

New Sub vs. New Center Speaker vs. New Surround Speaker. I don't see it ever ending.

Things to Do List:
1) Sell the current Sub and get the new Dual Ultra.
2) Sell the current CLR and get the CLR3000 Center.
3) Sell the BPVXs and get another pair of BP8Bs for your surrounds.

Then you will be complete!

The BP10Bs are 20Hz-20kHz +/-6dB.
The CLR3000 is 25Hz-20kHz +/-6dB.
The BP8Bs are 25Hz-20kHz +/-6dB.
The Dual Ultra will probably be 10Hz @ 120dB (<10% THD)!

That is it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis