Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard Blu-ray

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard this blu-ray movie has the best bass & sound ever.
You know I'm buying it ASAP.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I had the rig to find out myself.

*sits in the corner and cries*

"WHY?!!!!!!!"

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Okay, that went way over my head.
Huh???:confused:
I don't have the gear necessary to test out Blu-ray movies to see how good or bad they might be. I wish I had such a system, but I am poor. Hence, I cry in the corner and scream out in terror, "why". I suppose it really wasn't fit to post that on your thread.:cool:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I had it in my hand today when I bought Rock Band at Best Buy, but they were selling it for $34.99. I know I can find it cheaper, so I put it back. I think it was the best of the summer blockbusters. The wife and I both liked it better than Transformers.

I did pick up the AC/DC Donnington blu-ray though. :D It's gonna be a Rock 'n Roll night tonight. Rock Band and an AC/DC concert!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have the gear necessary to test out Blu-ray movies to see how good or bad they might be. I wish I had such a system, but I am poor. Hence, I cry in the corner and scream out in terror, "why". I suppose it really wasn't fit to post that on your thread.:cool:
You cry-baby.

I don't think it "really" sounds any differently from the SD DVD DTS soundtrack.

It just sounds cool to say, "Man, the blu-ray DTS-HD MA soundtrack of Die Hard 4 is the best ever recorded".

I mean I still can't get over the fact that the Transformer HD DVD soundtrack doesn't sound any bit better than the SD DVD version, but hey, I'm no cry-baby!:p

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'll have to add that to my blockbuster queue, good thing I'm getting ratatoullie on bluray in the mail so I'll have something to compare it to.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Not today, not on that. Just wait, your turn will come:D
Thanks, I needed some support.

*wipes tears from eyes and moves out of the corner*

Thank you so much.

*sniff*

I can't believe I sat in the corner crying for 2 hours and 15 minutes.:eek:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I just checked blu-ray.com and found that this movie's only HD sound track is a DTS HD-MA 5.1 track, and my PS3 can't decode that. :( So I may have to hold off on this for a while in hopes that Sony and DTS will get their act together and push out an update for the PS3 that includes a DTS HD-MA decoder.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just checked blu-ray.com and found that this movie's only HD sound track is a DTS HD-MA 5.1 track, and my PS3 can't decode that. :( So I may have to hold off on this for a while in hopes that Sony and DTS will get their act together and push out an update for the PS3 that includes a DTS HD-MA decoder.
I think we are all in the same boat here.
The good news is that even with just the DTS-core 1.5 mbps, the sound is amazingly outstanding.

Check out "The Day After Tomorrow" on blu-ray, which is also 5.1 DTS-MA. The DTS-core is absolutely amazing.

I sure hope that new Samsung BD-UP5000 really truly will have internal 7.1 DTS-MA & TrueHD decoders.

"Pan's Labyrinth" BD will be in 7.1 DTS-MA!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I needed some support.

*wipes tears from eyes and moves out of the corner*

Thank you so much.

*sniff*

I can't believe I sat in the corner crying for 2 hours and 15 minutes.:eek:
Oh, if it makes you feel any better, none of us are actually listening to DTS-MA, which is the format for Fox, Lionsgate, MGM. But the fact that the DTS-core 1.5 mbps on "Die Hard 4" & "Day After Tomorrow" sounds better than most TrueHDs & PCMs means that most people are not really missing anything.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Are there any players out there that support DTS HD-MA yet? What is up with this format not being supported, I take it that it has something to do with DTS.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any players out there that support DTS HD-MA yet? What is up with this format not being supported, I take it that it has something to do with DTS.
The $500 Panasonic DMP-BD30 can send DTS-HD MA via BITSTREAM, but it cannot internally decode it. So if you have a DTS-MA receiver, that would work.

Is your new Yamaha receiver DTS-MA capable?

I've also heard that Sony is working on a firmware for DTS-MA bitstream for PS3, but I'll believe it when I see it.:)

The $800 Samsung Combo BD-UP5000 is suppose to be able to internally decode DTS-MA, but until I actually see it with my own eyes, there is still doubt.

DTS is such a pain in the A$$!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The $500 Panasonic DMP-BD30 can send DTS-HD MA via BITSTREAM, but it cannot internally decode it. So if you have a DTS-MA receiver, that would work.

Is your new Yamaha receiver DTS-MA capable?

I've also heard that Sony is working on a firmware for DTS-MA bitstream for PS3, but I'll believe it when I see it.:)

The $800 Samsung Combo BD-UP5000 is suppose to be able to internally decode DTS-MA, but until I actually see it with my own eyes, there is still doubt.

DTS is such a pain in the A$$!
Yes, my new receiver has HDMI 1.3 and supports all the audio formats, but I'll have no way to enjoy the DTS HD-MA until PS3 and DTS can play nice together. I've already spent $500 on a PS3 and an HD DVD player, and I don't play on spending another $500 just to have a player that can output DTS HD-MA via bitstream... I'll just wait it out and hope that Sony includes some DTS blessings in their future firmware updates very soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, my new receiver has HDMI 1.3 and supports all the audio formats, but I'll have no way to enjoy the DTS HD-MA until PS3 and DTS can play nice together. I've already spent $500 on a PS3 and an HD DVD player, and I don't play on spending another $500 just to have a player that can output DTS HD-MA via bitstream... I'll just wait it out and hope that Sony includes some DTS blessings in their future firmware updates very soon.
One interesting thing I noticed last night when watching Pathfinder BD, which also has DTS-MA (like all FOX).
My Panasonic BD can decode DTS-HR (6.0 Mbps), but not MA (up to 24 Mbps).

If a movie is playing DD, the Panasonic displays "3/2/1" as the sound format.
If a movie is playing DTS, the Panasonic displays "DTS" as the sound format.
Theoretically, w/Pathfinder, the Panasonic should display "DTS" since it cannot decode DTS-MA & should only decode the DTS-Core 1.5 Mbps).

But instead, it displayed "DTS-HD"!

So I'm thinking that any movie that is DTS-MA will be played back as DTS-HR 6.0 Mbps since that is the highest sound format it can do.

6.0 Mbps is not bad, especially compared to PCM 4.6 Mbps!

Ratatouille is PCM 6.9 Mbps.

So can the PS3 handle DTS-HR? I think it can easily be upgraded by firmware.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think it can, but I have yet to rent any bluray discs with a DTS-HD MA track, but I'm pretty sure as of now the PS3 can only decode the core DTS. I did however read this morning on a blu ray forum that someone claims that Sony will have a firmware update out by the end of the year that will allow the PS3 to internally decode DTS-HD MA and output it as PCM. I sure do hope this is true, that would be a great Christmas present from Sony. I just wish the hardware was capable of outputting the new audio formats via bitstream since I now have a receiver capable of decoding them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think it can, but I have yet to rent any bluray discs with a DTS-HD MA track, but I'm pretty sure as of now the PS3 can only decode the core DTS. I did however read this morning on a blu ray forum that someone claims that Sony will have a firmware update out by the end of the year that will allow the PS3 to internally decode DTS-HD MA and output it as PCM. I sure do hope this is true, that would be a great Christmas present from Sony. I just wish the hardware was capable of outputting the new audio formats via bitstream since I now have a receiver capable of decoding them.
If Sony can do it, I would bet that the firmware will enable bitstream DTS-MA instead of internal decoding. DTS has made it a pain in the A$$ for internal decoding of their "ROBUST" DTS-MA.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis