Did I make a bad decision...

F

Flak

Audiophyte
I currently have a Monolith 15 v2. I decided to purchase another sub with the recent open box sales of the Monolith 13 and 15 at Monoprice. I tried ordering the 13, twice... Monoprice canceled the order twice stating there was no stock, despite the sub showing back up on their website. We won't talk about the open box 15 being the only sub on their site without free shipping. Including shipping to me, makes the open box 15 only $100 cheaper than the new in box 15 with free shipping. However, in my anger towards Monoprice canceling the Monolith 13 order I went to purchase an Outlaw Audio 7000x for my TX-RZ50 and noticed they had Ultra X13 back in b-stock for $700.

Did a quick check here to compare CEA and saw that Monolith 15 from 20hz and up was 0 to 2db louder than the Ultra X13 when both are in their THX modes. I ordered it as I'll be using a miniDSP 2x4HD + MSO (this will be my first time) and assumed that would fix any issues. Then I'll run Dirac Live on the RZ50 after that.

Does anyone have experience with the Ultra X13? Should I be attempting to return it to purchase a Monolith 13 or 15 instead? Was just way to freaking hard to pass up on the Ultra X13 for $700, lol.

Thanks

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I currently have a Monolith 15 v2. I decided to purchase another sub with the recent open box sales of the Monolith 13 and 15 at Monoprice. I tried ordering the 13, twice... Monoprice canceled the order twice stating there was no stock, despite the sub showing back up on their website. We won't talk about the open box 15 being the only sub on their site without free shipping. Including shipping to me, makes the open box 15 only $100 cheaper than the new in box 15 with free shipping. However, in my anger towards Monoprice canceling the Monolith 13 order I went to purchase an Outlaw Audio 7000x for my TX-RZ50 and noticed they had Ultra X13 back in b-stock for $700.

Did a quick check here to compare CEA and saw that Monolith 15 from 20hz and up was 0 to 2db louder than the Ultra X13 when both are in their THX modes. I ordered it as I'll be using a miniDSP 2x4HD + MSO (this will be my first time) and assumed that would fix any issues. Then I'll run Dirac Live on the RZ50 after that.

Does anyone have experience with the Ultra X13? Should I be attempting to return it to purchase a Monolith 13 or 15 instead? Was just way to freaking hard to pass up on the Ultra X13 for $700, lol.

Thanks
If that X13 is in good shape, then that is a fantastic deal. Read the Audioholics review.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're likely good on the X13. More wondering why you got the 7000x...

F

Flak

Audiophyte
I think you're likely good on the X13. More wondering why you got the 7000x...
I'm not able to listen to movies at my usual volumes on the RZ50 before I get what sounds like clipping. I've seen some measurements (not just on asr) that seemed to show the RZ50 doesn't like dipping much below 8ohms. But it has a great preout section. So I picked up an open box 7000x for $900 from Outlaw Audio when I got the Ultra x13 for $700.

The purchase was more spur of the moment and I hadn't read anything bad about them. Was it a poor decision?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not able to listen to movies at my usual volumes on the RZ50 before I get what sounds like clipping. I've seen some measurements (not just on asr) that seemed to show the RZ50 doesn't like dipping much below 8ohms. But it has a great preout section. So I picked up an open box 7000x for $900 from Outlaw Audio when I got the Ultra x13 for $700.

The purchase was more spur of the moment and I hadn't read anything bad about them. Was it a poor decision?
It's a reasonable amp, but generally in the range of power that your avr has (or perhaps should have?). I'd generally want to at least double the 8ohm rating and also look for increased performance at both 4 ohm and 2 ohm. I'd more lean towards just using amps on the front three and let the surrounds be handled by the avr, too. That auto eco mode on the test fixture for the avr may not bear out in actual usage, have you looked for user comments elsewhere? What speakers do you use at what distance to what spl levels?

F

Flak

Audiophyte
I've got a mix of various Klipsch RP series speakers. All have dips to 2ohm and are more like 4ohm speakers than their rated 8ohm.

JannGrew

JannGrew

Audiophyte
I had a Monolith 15 v2, and it was a solid performer. But honestly, the Ultra X13 gave me some ear-to-ear grins too. It's no slouch in the sound department. Yeah, I've seen the CEA numbers too, and while the Monolith 15 might edge out a tad, the X13's no pushover. Anyway, if you can't make the decision, you can even toss a coin. I sometimes do that.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis