Desktop Speaker Recommendations

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I realize this is a little above your price range but I just bought 2 SVS Ultra bookshelf Speakers for $299 each. These were reduced price due to scratches but the scratches are barely noticeable. I have not hooked them up yet so I can’t provide any feedback on them just yet
The Ultra’s look amazing, but are definitely out of my price range. How to you feel about the Prime’s?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Ultra’s look amazing, but are definitely out of my price range. How to you feel about the Prime’s?
Since the primes and ultras are voiced to work together, the main difference you’ll find is the primes will have less dynamic range. In a desktop situation, I can’t see where it would make a difference between the two.

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Since the primes and ultras are voiced to work together, the main difference you’ll find is the primes will have less dynamic range. In a desktop situation, I can’t see where it would make a difference between the two.
Awesome, thanks for your input. The Prime's have been one I have been looking at for a while too.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
This was my first foray into hi-fi speakers for the desktop, around the beginning of last year. The speakers are my KEF iQ10's that are back serving as surrounds in our guestroom 5.1 "frankensystem."

The Uni-Q coincident driver does make for an incredibly good nearfield monitor. Pointed straight ahead worked even better than with any toe-in. It was SO good that I rather quickly progressed to a pair of LS50's and today they've moved to stands on either side of the desk (and a killer amp.)

A pair of Q150's or even Q100's on closeout pricing of $250 to $300 a pair would be really quite hard to beat for the application and the money spent.

new_desktop_setup.JPG

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
That’s funny you mention those because I’ve seen these KEF Q10’s locally for the last few weeks. How do they compare to your iQ10’s? Do you think they compare to the Q100’s or Q150’s?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't get anything less than the iQ10 because those were the first with the "tangerine waveguide" over the tweeter. Prior to that the bare tweeter could be a bit bright. The Q100's came next, quite good and the last with the front port. The Q150 is current, and has the most refined sound. I see them on sale for $300 often too.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Now looking at the Q10, those were the last with the soft dome tweeter. VERY good, arguably better than the Q1 that followed. For $100 (and you could try offering $80), you couldn't go wrong.

Last edited:
G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Thanks fo
Now looking at the Q10, those were the last with the soft dome tweeter. VERY good, arguably better than the Q1 that followed. For $100 (and you could try offering $80), you couldn't go wrong.
Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated!

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
I loved my JBL’s, but hated the buzz. Not sure I want to go back to an active system again. I’ve already invested into a great amp and passive speaker set and am planning my next upgrade to be passive.

That can always change though. I can never make up my mind. How do to the 305P MKII’s compare to the LSR305? Have your heard the Kali’s that are supposed to be better than the 305’s?
I'm on a budget and have limited space. I can't be buying a bunch of speakers (or even buying them and selling them). They aren't quite a good as my RAAL/ Revelator Philharmonitors but they're not too far away in direct comparison. We're talking about those drivers alone being almost $1000 for the set.

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I'm on a budget and have limited space. I can't be buying a bunch of speakers (or even buying them and selling them). They aren't quite a good as my RAAL/ Revelator Philharmonitors but they're not too far away in direct comparison. We're talking about those drivers alone being almost $1000 for the set.
No worries, just curious as I heard the 305p’s improved upon the LSR305’s a little.

I bet those Philharmonitors are pretty amazing. I’ve heard a lot of people talking about those, but they will probably be forever out of my budget.

I just made my decision tonight and purchased the refurbished Infinity R152 speakers and should get them in next week. Can’t wait to hear them.

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
So, I got a little impatient and bought my self pair of refurbished Infinity R152 speakers from Harman. I know they go on sale all the time, but I did not want to wait. Their website showed they were backordered until July 5 when I ordered, but that I can expect them by about Wednesday, July 10. Wish me luck!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So, I got a little impatient and bought my self pair of refurbished Infinity R152 speakers from Harman. I know they go on sale all the time, but I did not want to wait. Their website showed they were backordered until July 5 when I ordered, but that I can expect them by about Wednesday, July 10. Wish me luck!
I can't say if they're the right sound for you, but they are truly great speakers, especially for the under $200 that you paid for them!

Last edited:
G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I’m not sure they are either, but I’ve been a fan of Infinity for a while now and have been wanting to try these out. I figured that if I didn’t like them, I would just return them and get my money back since Harman has a great return policy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis