Denver GTG Speaker Comparison: EMP, SVS, Gallo & Philharmonic

V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern
I agree that it's a matter of personal preference. Does it sound real? Does a piano sound like a piano? Does a violin sound like a violin ? Does a horn sound like a horn? Does a trumpet sound like a trumpet? Have you accrued enough live concert credits to know better? :D

In the end, the real question is do the speakers sound great to you? Does the music from your speakers satisfy your senses? :D
I've been to over 20 live concerts (are there any other type), symphonies and musicals (the lady enjoys them). So I'd venture to say that I have over 20 concert reference credits. That's how it works right? ;) Nonetheless, I've listened to great speakers and enjoy the experience, but I'm not sure if I've yet to hear a reproduction which completely tricked my senses. Perhaps I'd have to do an actual blind A/B (orchestra on one side - most life like speakers on another) in order to know for sure. Either way, I enjoy the sound of a good, clean, accurate reproduction whether or not it sounds exactly like the real thing.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've been to over 20 live concerts (are there any other type), symphonies and musicals (the lady enjoys them). So I'd venture to say that I have over 20 concert reference credits. That's how it works right? ;) Nonetheless, I've listened to great speakers and enjoy the experience, but I'm not sure if I've yet to hear a reproduction which completely tricked my senses. Perhaps I'd have to do an actual blind A/B (orchestra on one side - most life like speakers on another) in order to know for sure. Either way, I enjoy the sound of a good, clean, accurate reproduction whether or not it sounds exactly like the real thing.
Here's the irony of the situation:

The more live shows you hear, the more likely you are to damage your hearing and the less likely you are to pick out the nuances of the speakers.

I've probably seen 200 live shows, rock, electronic, jazz, blues, etc etc. For the loud shows, always wear earplugs to protect yourself.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Debate class. Debate. I could very well lose this debate. But let's not make it personal.
I edited my post before yours...

I'm not making it personal. You yourself said you cannot hear a difference. You've refused to listen to quite a bit of helpful advice given to you by others, so I'm just responding to your own actions.

This debate isn't about psycho-acoustics; you're the one trying to make it about that. The debate, if there really is one, is about accuracy, and you need to have some sort of reference to gauge "accuracy." Many people use live music, while others say live music is moot because it's all about the quality of the recording. Now THAT is a good debate (my previous sentence). You're not debating, though ADTG. What you're doing is trying to force your own opinions and experiences on others, even though theirs may differ. You've been doing this for a while now, and it is beyond being a broken record.

You consistently give good advice, ADTG, saying things like "all that matters is how it sounds to you," or "accuracy is in the eye of the beholder." But then when someone disagrees with you your temper flairs and you begin to argue with them, and it usually ends with you trying to push your experiences as fact and then someone challenging you on it. Is that not hypocritical? Then you get the mods involved, and for what? Because someone disagreed with you disagreeing? Come on man! Like you said, this is a debate, so debate! If someone points out your MO they aren't attacking you; they are simply reciting your own actions.

Can't you accept that not everyone agrees with you instead of trying to force your experiences on them? You get so upset when you're challenged, but that is what goes on here on the forums (opinions get challenged), especially when you make a claim that cannot be backed up. Calm down man, just calm down. Take a deep breath, enjoy the friendly chats and debates and try not to get so upset and get forceful when someone disagrees with you, especially if they have way more experience and knowledge than you (no, I am not implying that someone is me).

I agree we should keep this civil, but I have zero issue with calling a spade a spade. If you don't like that, well...stop acting like a "spade". :) Sometimes the truth hurts, but only if you let it. If you're not prepared to be "called out" or challenged then don't post your opinion.

Hopefully the mods don't delete our posts, as I think this has remained civil. Only time will tell.

V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern

The more live shows you hear, the more likely you are to damage your hearing and the less likely you are to pick out the nuances of the speakers.

I've probably seen 200 live shows, rock, electronic, jazz, blues, etc etc. For the loud shows, always wear earplugs to protect yourself.
That is definitely ironic (so many people nowadays use ironic when they mean unusually coincidental). Thankfully, almost all of the live shows I've been to haven't been the high decibel deafening shows which contribute to hearing loss. I (and my wife) blame my hip hop head days in my youth (and the two 12" subs I had in my Civic then Mustang) for any hearing loss I may have sustained.

BigJoeXXL

BigJoeXXL

Audioholic Intern
Re: Denver GTG Speaker Comparison: EMP, SVS, Gallo & Philharmonic

For myself knowing that I play COD a lot with the EMP tek's they will not let you down and to add a sub to them will sound as good as speakers going for double the amount, Even in this GTG I still enjoy the EMP tek's and would not trade them for the SVS towers all though the towers are great speakers IMO I don't think its worth another 1k to pick them up. But NHTB is right it comes down to your hears and what you like, I would say for the budget go with EMP unless you have more money to spend on Ultra towers. Vic the other person at the GTG agreed with me on this issue and he has already help his friend buy a pair of EMP tek speakers saying they sound as good as the Ultra towers did.
I hope this helps you out a little bit from two members.
Order my EMP's on Saturday!!!! Should have them on Thursday. Looking forward to it. :)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Order my EMP's on Saturday!!!! Should have them on Thursday. Looking forward to it. :)
Congrats - I am sure you'll enjoy them!

I agree 100%! Earplugs (the nice one that musicians use) are a must. I use a pair for rock concerts from a company called Etymotic.

Last edited:
E

Ed Mullen

Manufacturer
Mark had no problems (with frequency response or impedance) achieving the deep crossover between the lower mid and the woofs - and it's actually a smidge deeper than 160 Hz. The Ultra Tower has a very linear, articulate and extended bass response - unless the owner is a pipe organ aficionado the Ultra Tower doesn't need a subwoofer for typical music source material (rock, pop, jazz, classical, etc.). The system is tuned to about 34 Hz and has usable response into the upper 20 Hz range in most rooms.

In smaller enclosed listening spaces where room gain is prevalent, we do include a port plug to convert the system to a sealed alignment. In sealed mode the system Q is slightly overdamped with a nice tight/lean character, and it starts to roll-off closer to 40 Hz, but with the shallower 12 dB/octave slope of the sealed alignment (which is an excellent complement to the acoustic transfer function of a smaller enclosed room). It's a very nice option for smaller rooms where the bass reflex alignment might sound a bit bottom heavy due to excessive room gain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

So it's a inverse function in which you actually lose credits for attending too many concerts. :eek:

I think my recent issue has been NOT listening loud ENOUGH. :eek:

So today I was sitting OUTSIDE my room listening to music at high volume trying to emulate the concert environment. The music, especially piano, guitar, and strings, was absolutely spectacular. And so I thought, man, the Salon2 + Funk 18.0 are really that good. But then I thought, "Wait, which speakers am I actually listening to?" So I paused the music and checked. It was actually the TAD 2201, not the Salon2. :eek:

But don't worry, I was not comparing the speakers or saying the TAD 2201 were as good as the Salon2. I am only saying that great sounding speakers don't have big SQ gaps between them.

Enjoy the music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I believe you.

Even your Energy Reference speakers? Since I'm sure some "experts" who attend daily concerts may otherwise disagree. :D
I don't go daily but probably average 7 or 8 times a year. Yes even the Enery Veritas can come very close, and I always played something similar or same as soon I got home when memory was still relatively fresh. The R900 are the only ones that had tricked people into believing someone was playing the piano ony because they were in the piano room.:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I don't go to rock concerts or any other amplified concerts.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I don't go to rock concerts or any other amplified concerts.
I am not surprised based on your posts. As I tried to describe in my comparison thread, for music tastes like yours, the Phil's would definitely be the better choice. That is why ultimately this is a subjective judgement that each person must make after auditioning.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I understand the discussion aspect of this thread but what puzzles me is that you have to defend your decision becasue others don't agree...:confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I understand the discussion aspect of this thread but what puzzles me is that you have to defend your decision becasue others don't agree...:confused:
You have to admit it's kind of hard resisting justification when people say that the speakers you spent a few thousands on are COLORED and INACCURATE. :D

The point of my post was that the speakers he bought is just great because they sound great to him and accurate enough and uncolored enough for him. But the point probably got sidetracked. :D

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
It's a darn shame. It happens everywhere and anywhere though (certainly on all the forums), so it puzzles me that you're surprised by this.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
It's a darn shame. It happens everywhere and anywhere though (certainly on all the forums), so it puzzles me that you're surprised by this.
Reminds me of the first time I joined an AV forum and learned the speakers that I enjoyed so much actually sucked. :D

Of course, at the moment I own Klipsch speakers which also apparently suck according to most. The more things change...

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Reminds me of the first time I joined an AV forum and learned the speakers that I enjoyed so much actually sucked. :D
LOL! I imagine all our speakers "suck" if you ask enough people. What I find amusing is those who claim a speaker sucks or is inferior without every having heard it or seen its measurements. It's as funny as those who recommend speakers they've never heard. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Of course, at the moment I own Klipsch speakers which also apparently suck according to most. The more things change...
I don't think Klipsch speakers suck. I've auditioned the RF82 at a dealer. ;)

Speakers may sound very differently at home vs at stores. So when people say that certain speakers suck, it may just be the wrong setup, placement, or room acoustic.

T

twoeyedbob

Audioholic
Re: Denver GTG Speaker Comparison: EMP, SVS, Gallo & Philharmonic

No..i've had several sets of spkrs that officially sucked in every
Situation.....i'd also say that 'htiab' speaker's go past sucking
Into a whole new category :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
No..i've had several sets of spkrs that officially sucked in every
Situation.....i'd also say that 'htiab' speaker's go past sucking
Into a whole new category :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2
As long as everyone knows Bose is the best you can get. I think everyone would agree with that. :D:p

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
As long as everyone knows Bose is the best you can get. I think everyone would agree with that. :D:p
Naturally. I am actually selling off my Klipsch setup as we speak, and I've definitely got my eye on the Bose Acoustimass 10.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis