speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just got to take a closer look at a few of the new Denon AVR's. Personally, I find them quite ugly. But, I am aware it is all about features. That being said, Denon is NOT doing themselves and favors in the looks department inmho. Here is a link:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS940H/Denon-AVR-S940H.html

What do you think? Just down right ugly to me.......LOL!!!! Just saying..........:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Just got to take a closer look at a few of the new Denon AVR's. Personally, I find them quite ugly. But, I am aware it is all about features. That being said, Denon is NOT doing themselves and favors in the looks department inmho. Here is a link:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS940H/Denon-AVR-S940H.html

What do you think? Just down right ugly to me.......LOL!!!! Just saying..........:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
They have an obvious "déjà vu" look but it is one of the reasons we can get them at decent prices, saving on the cost of frequent modifications of physical curves and presentation of products. We also always get good reliability and performance and that is what counts the most, as you know. :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
They have an obvious "déjà vu" look but it is one of the reasons we can get them at decent prices, saving on the cost of frequent modifications of physical curves and presentation of products. We also always get good reliability and performance and that is what counts the most, as you know. :)
Yeah, I prefer the Denon and the Marantz as well. But, I almost always end up w/a Denon b/c the Marantz cost more. I am also a fan of Audyssey as it has done very well in my room. However, I have a new room now that is significantly larger and more open. As such, it will be interesting to see just how well Audyssey will do in my new room. My guess is rather well.:):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They're more alike than different....better than the porthole thing on Marantz, tho.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think the Onkyo(s) look better than the Denon(s) now. But, I have always liked the looks of the Marantz.......LOL!!!! We all have different tastes. I also like the Yammies as well.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
They're more alike than different....better than the porthole thing on Marantz, tho.
I agree with you about the porthole.

Sorry Speakmeman, but I like the new Denon look. It has form and function.

It is a piece of audio gear and not a work of art. Though I think trying to hide what a piece of gear is, is not art but dumb.

On that Denon everything is clearly visible and it looks as if it can be used easily without a remote. I hate remotes and would much rather be able to control units from the front panel.

On the Marantz port hole minimal information is displayed. To get more you have to pull down a panel. For some functions you need to use the buttons, but need a magnifying glass to see them.

I think that "new" Denon look which is actually very retro is just what is required. It is a step back in the right direction.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think the Onkyo(s) look better than the Denon(s) now. But, I have always liked the looks of the Marantz.......LOL!!!! We all have different tastes. I also like the Yammies as well.

Cheers,

Phil
I’ve always liked the look of the Yamahas but I do miss the amber displays that the older ones had.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with you about the porthole.

Sorry Speakmeman, but I like the new Denon look. It has form and function.

It is a piece of audio gear and not a work of art. Though I think trying to hide what a piece of gear is, is not art but dumb.

On that Denon everything is clearly visible and it looks as if it can be used easily without a remote. I hate remotes and would much rather be able to control units from the front panel.

On the Marantz port hole minimal information is displayed. To get more you have to pull down a panel. For some functions you need to use the buttons, but need a magnifying glass to see them.

I think that "new" Denon look which is actually very retro is just what is required. It is a step back in the right direction.
Fair enough. The porthole not displaying a lot of info is a very good point no doubt. But, for some reason I still like the look. As mentioned, we all have different tastes/needs. At the end of the day, however, I would never let the look of the Denon sway me from owning one. It is all about the features more so than anything else.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve always liked the look of the Yamahas but I do miss the amber displays that the older ones had.
Yeah, I liked the amber better as well. That was kind of their signature so to speak. Why the change who really knows. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

TechHDS

Audioholic General
What say you guys, A4L has some awesome deals on Yamaha and Onkyos, I can pickup the A3060 with a 18 months of warranty for 999.00 or the Onkyo RZ920 same price with 1 year warranty. Yamaha’s A1050 and their A2060. A1050 going for 500 bucks! With 18 months of warranty.

Mike

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
What say you guys, A4L has some awesome deals on Yamaha and Onkyos, I can pickup the A3060 with a 18 months of warranty for 999.00 or the Onkyo RZ920 same price with 1 year warranty. Yamaha’s A1050 and their A2060. A1050 going for 500 bucks! With 18 months of warranty.

Mike
Mike, I think the deals on both the Yammie 3060 and/or 1050 are awesome! You can also purchase additional warranty. For example, the 1050 can be extended to 3-years for $39.99 more or 5-years for $69.99 more! Here is a link:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa1050bl/yamaha-rx-a1050-7.2-ch-x-110-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html#!warranties

Cheers,

Phil

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yes, the porthole look is gawd awful and pretty useless too. IMO. Don't really care for the denon look either. I like my Yammie though. :D And it sounds good.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
In the specs, I notice that the 1050 has amps which would have different output current capacity for left and right front channels than those for the surround channels. The front L & R channel amps will handle 4 ohm speakers while the surround ones are limited to a minimum of 6 ohms. That's weird.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In the specs, I notice that the 1050 has amps which would have different output current capacity for left and right front channels than those for the surround channels. The front L & R channel amps will handle 4 ohm speakers while the surround ones are limited to a minimum of 6 ohms. That's weird.
Not if you are a bean counter. The surrounds have cheaper amps.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Yeah - It is weird. I guess their thinking is, you don't need as much power for the surrounds as you do for your mains.....While that generally may be true it's still kind of skewed thinking. (Cost saving?)

One more word on Marantz receivers. That line would look so much better if the gave you a regular sized display screen that stretched across the front (without having to flip down the panel). Again IMO

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Thanks Phil!. Also TLS Guy thanks! Wondered why Yamaha’s where rated 4 Ohms for L/R front than 6 Ohms for surrounds. That’s all the way up to the flagship. Denon units are rated 4 Ohms for all channels.

Mike

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One more word on Marantz receivers. That line would look so much better if the gave you a regular sized display screen that stretched across the front (without having to flip down the panel). Again IMO[/QUOTE]

As you know, the final product which is released on the market has a lot to do with the thinking of a manufacturer's marketing department.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis