AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've never really considered the less expensive Denon AVR's to win any beauty contests, but I actually think the new one looks better than the older model:
Here is the 920 (2 years ago?):

Here is the 940 (new):

It looks to me like they cleaned up the lines a little and lightened he color for all controls for a bit more contrast.
The 900 series is the same as the X1000 series (which I've seen on sale for $300-$399).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On the port hole, I think Marantz is committed to the notion that everyone has OSD and don't need a display on the AVR!
There have been many comments about the Marantz and flipping down the panel to view the display; however most units sold don't even have this display!
I'm sure they watched sales as they eliminated the display so would assume that consumers like the port display/OSD combination fairly well!

The 5XXX doesn't have a cover/panel:

The 6XXX just has connections and buttons under the panel:

Only the 7XXX and 8XXX have a display behind the panel:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is the Marantz 7701. I like the unit, and have two, but the ergonomics is dreadful.

Matt34

Matt34

You can’t go wrong with Denon IMO, my Japanese built 4311ci is still going strong. Been used everyday for the past 6 years.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I like the looks fine, but I didn't like what I saw in the pic of the guts. Where is the transformer? Hiding underneath the big PC board in the back...uh, bad bad idea. This is just asking for problems. NOTHING should ever be above the transformer, especially heat sensitive ICs and transistors/diodes. When this receiver is doing much of anything, there will be a lot of heat coming off it and that just is a huge no no.
I've seen too many failures caused by this over 50 years or so I've been messing with electronics. I would give this one a big pass. But it looks good. I'll have to remember to check back and see if these are failing a year or two from now. I doubt they will be one of the old "never dies" receivers that we will remember fondly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like the looks fine, but I didn't like what I saw in the pic of the guts. Where is the transformer? Hiding underneath the big PC board in the back...uh, bad bad idea. This is just asking for problems. NOTHING should ever be above the transformer, especially heat sensitive ICs and transistors/diodes. When this receiver is doing much of anything, there will be a lot of heat coming off it and that just is a huge no no.
I've seen too many failures caused by this over 50 years or so I've been messing with electronics. I would give this one a big pass. But it looks good. I'll have to remember to check back and see if these are failing a year or two from now. I doubt they will be one of the old "never dies" receivers that we will remember fondly.
Can you post the pic(s) you' re referring to?

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Can you post the pic(s) you' re referring to?
Sure, look where the white plastic edge (Where the orange and white and blue and yellow wires are going to) of the transformer is peeking out at the bottom of the PC board. This is just asking for problems. Whatever that postage stamp sized IC, and the two little ones are for, I would bet they are important. And there's probably another one or two on the other side. I guess you can put a fan on it to keep it from cooking, but it's just a no-brainer:

Compared to a Yamaha RX-A860:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, but what Denon model is that? The A860 has issues in other areas, tho :)

Sure, look where the white plastic edge (Where the orange and white and blue and yellow wires are going to) of the transformer is peeking out at the bottom of the PC board. This is just asking for problems. Whatever that postage stamp sized IC, and the two little ones are for, I would bet they are important. And there's probably another one or two on the other side. I guess you can put a fan on it to keep it from cooking, but it's just a no-brainer:

Compared to a Yamaha RX-A860:
t

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Thanks, but what Denon model is that? The A860 has issues in other areas, tho :)

t
It's the Denon AVR-S940H, the subject of the thread. From Crutchfield's product page. I see the A860 isn't great, but I could have picked dozens of receivers of various brands and they all have nothing much at all above the transformer. As my dad used to say, "It's just common sense!". Nothing much should be above two things, the transformer and the heat sinks. Most of the time, this is the way it's always been done, but it seems like some companies are pushing it lately. Wasn't this at least partially the cause of the failing Onkyo receivers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis