AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just got to take a closer look at a few of the new Denon AVR's. Personally, I find them quite ugly. But, I am aware it is all about features. That being said, Denon is NOT doing themselves and favors in the looks department inmho.

What do you think? Just down right ugly to me.......LOL!!!! Just saying..........:eek::eek::eek:
Looks pretty good to me. Here is the Denon X8500.

Here is the Marantz AV8805.

Personally, I prefer the Denon's giant "BluRay Dolby ATOMS" LCD over the Marantz' little "BluRay" display.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General

Personally, I prefer the Denon's giant "BluRay Dolby ATOMS" LCD over the Marantz' little "BluRay" display.
Now that denon does look nice! Of course that one goes for a cool 4 grand..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now that denon does look nice! Of course that one goes for a cool 4 grand..
Here is a Denon X6300 that you can get for $1500 brand new or $1200 from Amazon Warehoue.

Or the Denon X4400 (may go on sale soon for $800).

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a Denon X7200 that you can get for $1800 brand new or $1500 from Amazon Warehouse (LIKE-NEW).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
They all look good to me. And they perform well. And for the most part, no separates needed.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Yes, these do look nice. But, the models I linked not so much imho. However, as TLS mentions it is a functional design. To me it is more about the features. That is why I almost always end up with a Denon and have never once been disappointed. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz could have gone with something small but still had a little more info than that. I actually like the simple look of the porthole, but prefer more info than that.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Here is a Denon X6300 that you can get for $1500 brand new or $1200 from Amazon Warehoue.

Or the Denon X4400 (may go on sale soon for $800).

Nice - Not currently in the market for receiver though. Can't see anything I need my 3060 won't do..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. The porthole not displaying a lot of info is a very good point no doubt. But, for some reason I still like the look. As mentioned, we all have different tastes/needs. At the end of the day, however, I would never let the look of the Denon sway me from owning one. It is all about the features more so than anything else.

Cheers,

Phil
As long as it has a usable panel and controls on the panel just in case of need, I'm good. Only avr I use panel controls on much is my Denon 3808 in my workshop, as it is very handy to do so (it's at eye level and close to my "desk", otherwise am generally more reliant on display/remote in my main room and bedroom setups. I really don't care about the aesthetics of the black box otherwise, they're all more similar than different and I don't need it to be particularly stylish.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If going on looks alone, I appreciate Cambridge. The sub $1k Sony units are the cleanest looking.
I don't like that the HDMI and USB inputs are showing in the front like that, though. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
If going on looks alone, I appreciate Cambridge. The sub $1k Sony units are the cleanest looking.
Yeah I like the looks of Cambridge as well. But, they are so darn expensive. I did own a Cambridge SR 20 Stereo receiver and loved it. Just find them to be a bit on the pricier side of scale.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
As long as it has a usable panel and controls on the panel just in case of need, I'm good. Only avr I use panel controls on much is my Denon 3808 in my workshop, as it is very handy to do so (it's at eye level and close to my "desk", otherwise am generally more reliant on display/remote in my main room and bedroom setups. I really don't care about the aesthetics of the black box otherwise, they're all more similar than different and I don't need it to be particularly stylish.
My eyesight is so bad I have very little choice but to view adjustments via my Sony 4K TV. But, I fully do understand what you are saying and merely agree with you. Diabetes does some ugly things to one's eyes. Feeling every bit of it too. Just thankful that I can still see. Even if not so well.

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I resemble that remark :) My eyesight isn't the best, recently had to choose between wearing glasses for nearfield on top of my contacts, or have contacts that worked fairly well nearfield (except for fine print, then need the reading glasses) and give up a little farfield, I chose the latter so I didn't have to reach for glasses all the time (I tried those other lenses first). The display at 15 feet on my main system I do need to squint at a bit and the display isn't quite as sharp....but at least I don't have to figure out where the hell I put the damn glasses down :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Marantz could have gone with something small but still had a little more info than that. I actually like the simple look of the porthole, but prefer more info than that.
I absolutely love seeing the "DTS HD MSTR" and the Icons for all the Speakers and Subwoofers on the LCD.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
And you're complaining about how ugly the low-end Denon's look? o_O
Not really complaining, just something that I noticed. With new owners comes new changes. I just like the way the older models look when compared to the new ones that I linked in my original post. Conversely, I like the way the newer Onkyo(s) look, but have not owned an Onkyo since the mid-2000's. However, chances are real good that my next AVR will still be a Denon due to features albeit Audyssey.

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I personally love minimalist designs, so no surprise, I love the Marantz and the port-hole! I also hate superfluous lights in my HT gear, so the Marantz is a winner in that respect too.

My current AVR, I have a setting that pretty much completely shuts off the AVR display after a few seconds, ideal for me. You get to see the info when you make a change, then it goes away and takes the ambient light with it.

My current AVR (getting long in the tooth):

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just got to take a closer look at a few of the new Denon AVR's. Personally, I find them quite ugly. But, I am aware it is all about features. That being said, Denon is NOT doing themselves and favors in the looks department inmho. Here is a link:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS940H/Denon-AVR-S940H.html

What do you think? Just down right ugly to me.......LOL!!!! Just saying..........:eek::eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil
I've never really considered the less expensive Denon AVR's to win any beauty contests, but I actually think the new one looks better than the older model:
Here is the 920 (2 years ago?):

Here is the 940 (new):

It looks to me like they cleaned up the lines a little and lightened the color of the controls for a bit more contrast.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've never really considered the less expensive Denon AVR's to win any beauty contests, but I actually think the new one looks better than the older model:
Here is the 920 (2 years ago?):

Here is the 940 (new):

It looks to me like they cleaned up the lines a little and lightened he color for all controls for a bit more contrast.
Very good point Kurt. But, as I mentioned we all have different tastes. Take the JBL 530's for example, I like the way they look whereas others not so much. It is part of the allure for me. Guess I have gotten used to the way the older Denons look as well...........LOL!!!! :):):) It just my own personal opinion. Some will agree and some will not. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis