Denon Receiver 3300. I want a receiver that can seamless stream my pc music library.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
I tried the Denon 2300 which could connect to my pc and play my 200 GB music library (formatted by windows media player) but the random play was extremely slow between songs. I'm wondering if this feature on the 3300 has improved capacity to seamlessly play my music or should I try to attach a my book (500gb) by usb with the music files. I really don't want to go this way because I'll actually lose the wmp format. Should I consider a different receiver for this feature. I use the receiver more for music than movies and I've already digitized all my music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can you explain more about the setup and connections? Not a WMP user, I use foobar2000 as server with my Denon 4520 as output device, and using it in random mode via wifi (dlna), nothing slow about it, not an issue at all.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
All of my music is on my pc, I can connect to my home network via wifi fine. The denon 2300 connects to my Windows media player (wmp) on my pc. I could see everything and it would play once selected, the next tune would take a while before it was played. Also, once the receiver was turned off, it took a while before it would play again. Like it had to upload everything before it would play. I like to select a genre and play that randomly for hours while doing something else. It's not a speaker thing, its a streaming thing. Is that what you mean.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All of my music is on my pc, I can connect to my home network via wifi fine. The denon 2300 connects to my Windows media player (wmp) on my pc. I could see everything and it would play once selected, the next tune would take a while before it was played. Also, once the receiver was turned off, it took a while before it would play again. Like it had to upload everything before it would play. I like to select a genre and play that randomly for hours while doing something else. It's not a speaker thing, its a streaming thing. Is that what you mean.
I don't use the avr to control it, I use foobar2000 to simply cast it to the avr over my network; you can even use an android app called Bubbleupnp as a remote control of sorts, too. Not sure if or how WMP works in this regard, I just didn't like WMP last time I tried a long time ago so never used it much. Foobar2000 is free and can easily use your existing music files on your pc (just specify to foobar what folders to use)....might give it a try.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am assuming the PC and AVR are not located in a manner that would allow you to run a HDMI directly?

AVRs in general are not good in the role of client to a home media server since the "app" is extremely utilitarian. Further, Windows Media Services (WMS) is a basic media server. Together, you get a minimally functional streaming situation for the 200GB music on you PC.

Try Plex Media Server (you'll need to disable WMS) on the PC. Then, get a Chromecast, Roku or Fire Stick device and download the Plex Media Player app for your media streamer.

There is a dedicated section for HTPC stuff with a couple of recent build threads that will go much deeper into this.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Ninja & Spartan,
No they aren't on the same level, the server is upstairs and the music is on the mezzanine level. I didn't think about the client role. The other media servers don't accommodate genre stats so they require you to set up playlist. That's what I'm trying to avoid. The way I do it, I'm always surprised what plays and I hear music I had forgotten about. I currently have 3 mega disc players attached to a harmon kardon that used to be 4 but one is beyond repair so the 300 discs that used to be there are now just digital. Soon all the mega players will be down, I'm sure, so I wanted to go straight from avr to the pc but you're saying go from the pc to the avr and I think I can stream from the pc with windows 10. Perhaps, if I could find a media player that had all the selection options (genre, artist, song, album catagories) available it would be worth a try.

My main speaker system in the music room (mezzanine, I don't have a pc in this room) is 7 satelites (5 jbls and 2 boses rear) jbl woofer. I also use an old Sony receiver as a pre-amp to power a monster cable speaker selector to power the other floors of the house.

Is the 3300 better than the 3400 in this master/client application or are they about the same???

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the biggest difference in 3300/3400 is the Heos application but you can go to Denon's site and pull up a comparison of avr features to see what else.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Thank you, this discussion has been extremely helpful........

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Well, I have my new Denon 3300 and the zone 2 doesn't work and although the receiver sees the pc, it can't load any wma files. According to the manual, it interfaces directly with the windows media player and should play the same thing, but it doesn't.......

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Does zone two not work, or is it not setup correctly? I'll take a look at the manual for .wma and dnla settings. FWIW .wma isn't a popular format and relying on an avr to be the head end for streaming is more unreliable than not. If it were me I'd get a a hardware server like wdtv live +, Nvidia shield, chrome cast etc to handle it. Then you get better interface, video capabilities, more format options, etc.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Zone 2 is connected by coax to the video audio in on a sony STR-DE135 receiver which has a monster cable 6 speaker attached. When I had the Harmon, instead of the zone 2, I used the cassette out coax. This one doesn't have that. When I turn on the tuner on the Sony, the other speakers thru out the house plays.

On page 99 of the manual, it describes how the receiver connects to the pc. On the pc, with the windows media player selected, in the properties I have the music streamed to the receiver. With the receiver in the pc mode, it sees the pc but nothing else. When I go into the music venue, it says no files. Now, the music files are actually stored on an external drive that the pc plays from so I though that was the problem. So I placed a couple albums directly on the pc and had the same result.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In regards to the steaming is your pc setup for media shares? Access for all drives? This is the for a headend server. I assume that these features should work well through the AVR, but there are too many variables.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Zone 2 is connected by coax to the video audio in on a sony STR-DE135 receiver which has a monster cable 6 speaker attached. When I had the Harmon, instead of the zone 2, I used the cassette out coax. This one doesn't have that. When I turn on the tuner on the Sony, the other speakers thru out the house plays.

On page 99 of the manual, it describes how the receiver connects to the pc. On the pc, with the windows media player selected, in the properties I have the music streamed to the receiver. With the receiver in the pc mode, it sees the pc but nothing else. When I go into the music venue, it says no files. Now, the music files are actually stored on an external drive that the pc plays from so I though that was the problem. So I placed a couple albums directly on the pc and had the same result.
Without re-reading the thread , flow chart your zone 2 with exactly what's going to what. Coaxial can be assumed as many things, are you referring to the rca preouts on the Denon to the Sony ? If so what input on the Sony? Also assuming that's right what setup did you do on the denon to assign things? What are the zone two settings in the OSD?

Last edited:
M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
In regards to the steaming is your pc setup for media shares? Access for all drives? This is the for a headend server. I assume that these features should work well through the AVR, but there are too many variables.
Yes, the media player has been configed to steaming to the pc. Should I contact denon directly???

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Without re-reading the thread , flow chart your zone 2 with exactly what's going to what. Coaxial can be assumed as many things, are you referring to the rca preouts on the Denon to the Sony ? If so what input on the Sony? Also assuming that's right what setup did you do on the denon to assign things? What are the zone two settings in the OSD?
Yes, the yellow and white audio cables from the denon zone 2 to the sony video audio in and the sony is selected to video. The denon is set to zone 2 source.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the yellow and white audio cables from the denon zone 2 to the sony video audio in and the sony is selected to video. The denon is set to zone 2 source.
Ok, you mean red and white? That's typically audio. Can you please post what it says in your OSD under Zone 2? What sources are you trying to play in zone 2?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, the media player has been configed to steaming to the pc. Should I contact denon directly???
You can, but they are going to need to know information that hasn't been addressed. As I noted using media server software and a separate hardware headend will yeild much better results with less setup headaches, better support if needed. AVR manufacturers are not in the business of trouble shooting 3rd party equipment. Following were this can go. We can't guess what every setting is on your computer unless your telling us and then.. Variables. Many members have no plug n play issues, so variables. Not many members use .wma, so variables. Hopefully you/we can figure it out.

M

MoreLeslie

Enthusiast
Ok, you mean red and white? That's typically audio. Can you please post what it says in your OSD under Zone 2? What sources are you trying to play in zone 2?
yes, red and white. I was trying to set zone 2 to play whatever was playing on the main osd.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis