Denon or Onkyo or ???

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
1) Which members? LOL

2) I wouldn't go that far to state there's no Fluff and Puff around here.
1) most of us old codgers lol!!!
2) agreed. But it’s definitely not genes mission. Still. Good point lol.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Adding stands might make it better by unclustering the whole thing. Also, paint...
Why not wall mounts?
I've never painted anything other than a plain piece of paper.
I don't think my concrete wall will be able to take that weight, seriously who buys a wall mount for these big a$$ speakers?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Nice, but are those available in any other color? White, Silver, Grey?

I really like these Monolith stands. I have not seen them in white but I imagine you might spray paint if it's important? I had to put mine together. They are amazingly solid. The Steel frame is really strong. I am using them with my 32lb BMR bookshelf speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't think my concrete wall will be able to take that weight, seriously who buys a wall mount for these big a$$ speakers?

Me... my old surrounds. Almost 40lbs each. Your concrete will easily hold with the proper hardware.
Maybe you know someone who paints? Or a body shop, etc.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Now your asking the right questions, but yeah you can wall mount your speakers that's one idea there are some good Wall Brackets for bookshelf's that even swivel you can "toe-in"

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

Me... my old surrounds. Almost 40lbs each. Your concrete will easily hold with the proper hardware.
Maybe you know someone who paints? Or a body shop, etc.
Nice I still use a set of these for my front presence in the front of my room . Pound for pound mabey the best speaker I’ve ever had .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice I still use a set of these for my front presence in the front of my room . Pound for pound mabey the best speaker I’ve ever had .
I loved them. A LOT. They have an uncanny ability to image that works as LR, and as surrounds were excellent. @Mr Boat had them now. Last I knew he was also enjoying them very much.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I loved them. A LOT. They have an uncanny ability to image that works as LR, and as surrounds were excellent. @Mr Boat had them now. Last I knew he was also enjoying them very much.
I loved them so much I use 6 of them in our garage set up mainly for music. The ones I use in the home are 7 foot up on shelves I built I use them for the front presence for my Yamaha RX-A 3020 they are spaced 14 feet apart with the tweeter and mid on the inside they image really good for being that far apart still . I see a lot of these on eBay cheap in great shape for a fraction of there cost . If most guys would here them they’d love them even as used for there mains . I used a set for surrounds for years and loved them .

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Well that’s exactly what spurred me in in the first place. Maybe my own advice is sketchy sometimes, but making blanket statements about brands that are most likely attributed to a dsp engaged or something like that is just not how to do it. I agree, a gentle poke to start is a great way to find out where somebody’s at. Then proceed accordingly.
Btw, I think you did an admirable job with him earlier.
Thank you for saying that. I tried to reaffirm the obvious without resorting to bad word or insults, but at the same not back down.

I did think it over a couple of times since the lucky thing is the guy is enamoured with Yamaha. I was thinking; what’s the worst thing that can come out of his “thread-galloping”? He might revert someone from Denon to Yamaha. Worse things can happen to you.

But he kept on with some obvious fallacies and anyway, Denon is one the few good guys. Not that they will loose profit over few posts, but it wouldn’t look good to have AH forums let unfounded brand-bashing go on without few objections (your honor :) ).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Yamaha's dedication to that hardware inside is so much more to speak about then Denon.
Did someone say dedication to hardware??
1606120047603.png

1606120102993.png

Seriously, these two, Yamaha & Denon, are almost as good. Denon stacks a larger number of audiophile’s favourites throughout its history, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much. However, power and amps have never been a weak spot for Denon, quite the opposite.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Did someone say dedication to hardware??
View attachment 41928
View attachment 41929

Seriously, these two, Yamaha & Denon, are almost as good. Denon stacks a larger number of audiophile’s favourites throughout its history, but that doesn’t necessarily mean much. However, power and amps have never been a weak spot for Denon, quite the opposite.
That's the top of the line 110th anniversary product, made in Japan.Lmfao

I can vouch for one thing, your average buyer won't be spending that much on a Denon.

The best selling models are X3600H, X4700H, X4500H, X3700H and those models aren't designed well. These models are most probably selling like hot cakes, speaking of hot , might also become much hotter than Yamahas. looking at the internal designs.

You really have to push the denon to people's face & call it the best hardware money can buy, which is most probably built in china or vietnam as compared to Yamaha which is made in malaysia.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
X3600H, X4700H, X4500H, X3700H and those models aren't designed well.
You don't even know what design is.

OK, pinpoint exactly what is not designed well, how should it be designed and precisely what are the bad results that are directly related to what you’ve pinpointed as being poorly designed.

Or you can just remain the forum clown, your call.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
You don't even know what design is.

OK, pinpoint exactly what is not designed well, how should it be designed and precisely what are the bad results that are directly related to what you’ve pinpointed as being poorly designed.

Or you can just remain the forum clown, your call.
Here is a pic of the Denon X4700H & the Yamaha RX-A3080.

Now don't tell me that Denon has better design, both are almost similar models.

Look at that cramped up Denon, and look at the clean looking Yamaha which has an internal bracing, and quite a lot of spacing between for better air circulation.

The one you posted is 110th anniversary product costing a lot more than a yamaha's top line.

So, who's the clown now?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If the amps are identical, why is the 6014 rated at 110 watts/channel while the 3600h is rated at 105? Not being argumentative and only a very slight difference, but curious.
No problem, that is of course a valid question. The power amp has two major sections, i.e. power supply,, and then the amplifier itself. The 6014 obviously has a slightly larger power supple, that will give you may be 0.1 to 0.2 dB difference. So all else being equal, if you need to set your volume on the SR6014 to say, -20, with the Denon you would have to crank it up to -19.8, but it is in 0.5 dB step so -19.5. Practically no difference whatsoever, so next question is, why they didn't they standardize the PS, I would guess marketing want to have something to justify an even higher mark up on their M brand. If you compare one model up, the SR701X and AVR-X4X00 do have the same power supply rating, in additional to the same amp section.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
These forums are a valuable resource for those looking for information about consumer electronics. They are also a popular hangout for those who like bashing certain peoples and products. I think a little psychotherapy can be had for the cost of a nice AVR. Just sayin’.:p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure that this is the most reliable source, but here is a comparison. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x3600h/uk/marantz-sr6014/uk/

@Timforhifi, I'm not worried about the amp section difference. I was just curious about the statement that the amps sections were identical and wondered if there was a slight tweak with respect to power, what else, if anything might have been different. In the end, I'm sure it is essentially the same.
As mentioned before, that 3rd party site, while the comparison format is very good, it not 100% accurate so for a quick reference okay but if you want to make your decision based only on those tables, be careful.. I would suggest use it to come up with your short list, then compare the features and specs that are important to you, based on the manufacturer's website information (product info sheet and owner's manuals). Sadly those are (Denon's for sure, I cited examples before) are not 100% right either, but very close, may be 99.0%:D In terms of accuracy, I would rank the owner's manual top, but not too bother taking the time to dive into such level of details.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure that this is the most reliable source, but here is a comparison. https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/denon-avr-x3600h/uk/marantz-sr6014/uk/

@Timforhifi, I'm not worried about the amp section difference. I was just curious about the statement that the amps sections were identical and wondered if there was a slight tweak with respect to power, what else, if anything might have been different. In the end, I'm sure it is essentially the same.
If you are curious enough, you can look through the schematics yourself like I did. It would cost you about $12 to $16 per copy, some are downloadable for free but you have to search them out yourself. As for tweaking, I even compared the rail voltage and bias, found no difference either. That's for the power amp, as mentioned before the preamp's difference is the HDAM vs no HDAM and I already explained why the HDAM's theoretical benefits just won't be there because of how/where they were applied. However, as an extra buffer, they could improve on things like lower output impedance and output current capability, though based on the measurements by ASR, I found no evidence of that either. Denon's better SINAD performance applied to very low output level through higher to maximum level. In fact, I suggested them to measure the Denon's preouts with a resistor load, and it survived down to 600 Ohm though it was just a test, albeit an impressive torture test (input impedance of a well designed power amp would be at least 10,000 Ohms).

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

1606138878608.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis