Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Wow, so the Graphic EQ in the Onkyo has even more bands than the Marantz.
Yes, also when accueq runs it automatically sets it to “On (ex. L/R) which means if you have a full surround setup, it applies the calibration to all speakers but the front left and right. Better for if you want to manually adjust your fronts since surrounds aren’t as important as the front stage.

Or you can select “On (All ch) which covers every speaker.

Or “Off” to fully rely on manual settings.
It also has a separate setting for Eq “standing waves” which can be triggered on or off.

Then of course you can dial in (bass, treble) with the simple setting in the same menu +/- 10 on both bass and treble. I guess if the rest isn’t enough:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, also when accueq runs it automatically sets it to “On (ex. L/R) which means if you have a full surround setup, it applies the calibration to all speakers but the front left and right. Better for if you want to manually adjust your fronts since surrounds aren’t as important as the front stage.

Or you can select “On (All ch) which covers every speaker.

Or “Off” to fully rely on manual settings.
It also has a separate setting for Eq “standing waves” which can be triggered on or off.

Then of course you can dial in (bass, treble) with the simple setting in the same menu +/- 10 on both bass and treble. I guess if the rest isn’t enough:D
Well, now you need to spend $91 for the UMIK-1 on Amazon and do REW measurements + Manual 15-band GEQ. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It made no sense to me to force me to set 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 when i don’t have all them other speakers. And run 8 positions for only 2 speakers. Audyssey also set my towers to full band. Which i guess without a subwoofer is fine.
First of all, I appreciate the feedback, instead of just blanket statements that we often get. Now the facts: It does not force you to set 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 so I think you might have misunderstood the onscreen instruction or something.. Also, you do not have to run all 8 positions. You have the choice to do 1,2,....or 3, or 4...positions, up to 8 positions maximum. Doing 8 positions have nothing to do with the number of speakers you have, it is to do with allowing the AVR to collect more data about your room so it can do a better job figuring out the best possible filters required for your particular setup. To be clear, Audyssey does give you to choice to run just one position but the result will likely not be as good in terms of accuracy/neutrality, but it doesn't you won't prefer the result either. In fact, it is possible that many users do not prefer the much flatter low frequency response that Audyssey typically would achieve.

@AcuDefTechGuy, I don't mean to be repetitive, but thanks to Ken32 who provide more details of his rationale about the negatives (perceived by him) than like some other users who just say "I hate it, it took the live out...its sterile, it makes the sound thin harsh etc etc...., making it clear to the more experienced users that in many cases it has a lot to do with users misconceptions, and/or not doing it right.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, now you need to spend $91 for the UMIK-1 on Amazon and do REW measurements + Manual 15-band GEQ. :D
By the way, do you prefer screen shots for the Mac OS version or Windows 10? My Mac is dual boot so I can do either.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
First of all, I appreciate the feedback, instead of just blanket statements that we often get. Now the facts: It does not force you to set 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 so I think you might have misunderstood the onscreen instruction or something.. Also, you do not have to run all 8 positions. You have the choice to do 1,2,....or 3, or 4...positions, up to 8 positions maximum. Doing 8 positions have nothing to do with the number of speakers you have, it is to do with allowing the AVR to collect more data about your room so it can do a better job figuring out the best possible filters required for your particular setup. To be clear, Audyssey does give you to choice to run just one position but the result will likely not be as good in terms of accuracy/neutrality, but it doesn't you won't prefer the result either. In fact, it is possible that many users do not prefer the much flatter low frequency response that Audyssey typically would achieve.

@AcuDefTechGuy, I don't mean to be repetitive, but thanks to Ken32 who provide more details of his rationale about the negatives (perceived by him) than like some other users who just say "I hate it, it took the live out...its sterile, it makes the sound thin harsh etc etc...., making it clear to the more experienced users that in many cases it has a lot to do with users misconceptions, and/or not doing it right.

It would only let me select them settings or the same setting minus zones to enable bi amping. Fault with the unit? I don't know. I'm not sure. There were no 2.1, 3.1 5.1 etc.. like there are with the Onkyo. I followed the setup per the UM and OSD. For some reason it always assumed i had all them speakers hooked up. I didn't care for that.

When i plugged in the mic and placed it on a tripod it didn't allow me to select number of positions, rather, it decided to have me place all 8. I ran it 2 different times after that with the same results. Bad mic? again, not sure.

IMO Accueq advance does a more thorough job when correcting room issues. It bounces back and forth between each speaker measuring Treble, mid-range and then bass for standing wave issues. All are measured by a static sound from the tweeter, mid, and bass frequencies, separately per speaker. It does this multiple times at different volumes starting low and working its way higher, Instead of just a popping noise that Audyssey offers.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
To be clear, Audyssey does give you to choice to run just one position but the result will likely not be as good in terms of accuracy/neutrality, but it doesn't you won't prefer the result either.
Is this a recent change? On my 2015 model D&M AVR-4200W I need at least three measuring points.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It would only let me select them settings or the same setting minus zones to enable bi amping. Fault with the unit? I don't know. I'm not sure. There were no 2.1, 3.1 5.1 etc.. like there are with the Onkyo. I followed the setup per the UM and OSD. For some reason it always assumed i had all them speakers hooked up. I didn't care for that.

When i plugged in the mic and placed it on a tripod it didn't allow me to select number of positions, rather, it decided to have me place all 8. I ran it 2 different times after that with the same results. Bad mic? again, not sure.

IMO Accueq advance does a more thorough job when correcting room issues. It bounces back and forth between each speaker measuring Treble, mid-range and then bass for standing wave issues. All are measured by a static sound from the tweeter, mid, and bass frequencies, separately per speaker. It does this multiple times at different volumes starting low and working its way higher, Instead of just a popping noise that Audyssey offers.
It's too late for you now as you sent it back already, otherwise a factory reset might have fixed some of the issues. Was a refurbished one?

On the 8 position thing, yes it always start with that, but after each position, you have the option to end it, I think it is the button (on screen) that says "finish" (or something like that) instead of "next position", then it would go to the next step, that is calculating, or something like that, and complete the process without forcing you to do the remaining positions.

Regarding the 2.1, 3.1....selection on you Onkyo, there is something like that on the Denon, or Marantz too, so it is a matter of different screen layout/presentation but similar ideas functionally speaking. Again that's not important now that you have made your choice. Again, my point was just that sometimes people (not you obviously) post their perceived issues of Audyssey, YPAO or whatever, that's all great in terms of providing user feedback that may help others. The problem is, if they stated the perceived negatives as though they were facts (not intentionally..),yet quite often they were based on personal preference, not following instructions because they misunderstand the instructions etc. Sometimes that's how things get labelled, or hearsay get started..

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is this a recent change? On my 2015 model D&M AVR-4200W I need at least three measuring points.
Sorry I should have double check first but I was too lazy to hook up the mic to try or read the manual. The first position run is to collect information on distances and levels of each speaker. So it would make sense that it may force you to do at least 3 positions to cover LCR. They don't recommend that, but they won't force you to do more positions. It definitely won't force you to do all 8 positions, that I am 100% sure and sound like you are too. Thank you for correcting me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
By the way, do you prefer screen shots for the Mac OS version or Windows 10? My Mac is dual boot so I can do either.
Windows is good.

Are the settings the same with both Mac and Windows?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It’s great that you are able to get AccuEQ to sound better per your preference.

I believe as PENG already mentioned, probably the only way to objectively compare is by using REW+UMIK1.

$91 free shipping Amazon. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry I should have double check first but I was too lazy to hook up the mic to try or read the manual. The first position run is to collect information on distances and levels of each speaker. So it would make sense that it may force you to do at least 3 positions to cover LCR. They don't recommend that, but they won't force you to do more positions. It definitely won't force you to do all 8 positions, that I am 100% sure and sound like you are too. Thank you for correcting me.
After 3 measurements I get the menu option to complete, and the Denon XT32 will then create the filters if wanted. I sometimes use this to check the levels and distances before using all 8 positions.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Note that the AccuEQ software is actually the generic, proprietary SW by Texas Instruments, which is available to TI DSP users with no royalty...
Its early generations were marginal but later versions have been vastly improved.. But like all other auto EQ schemes, one should try them and if U like the results go for it... If not, turn it OFF..

Just my $0.02... ;)

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Note that the AccuEQ software is actually the generic, proprietary SW by Texas Instruments, which is available to TI DSP users with no royalty...
Its early generations were marginal but later versions have been vastly improved.. But like all other auto EQ schemes, one should try them and if U like the results go for it... If not, turn it OFF..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Exactly, I still prefer it off and manual for music. I'll test both with movies when i have more time.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
It’s great that you are able to get AccuEQ to sound better per your preference.

I believe as PENG already mentioned, probably the only way to objectively compare is by using REW+UMIK1.

$91 free shipping Amazon. :D
It does work better for my room. However; I still prefer it off with manual adjusting.

I'll be on Amazon tonight shopping for stuff. I'll look it up. I have an itchy trigger finger on this mouse when it comes to online shopping. Especially when it has to do with Audio/Video:D:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis