Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Correct. Just wondering if Gene's claim is true.
I just sent an email to Yamaha asking if YPAO in the lower Yamaha Avantage models downsample all audio to 48kHz or retain up to 192kHz.

X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
Wow. Cool to touch is very different that what most people have experience with Onkyo. So perhaps they LISTENED and made GOOD changes.
I've had a chance to demo new Onkyos alongside D/M as well as Anthem and Arcam and the D/M receivers are significantly hotter even in standby. I've used an SR607 for almost a decade and also have an NR656, and the new Onkyos are much cooler. D/M receivers IME are akin to my egg-frying 607.

In a single-blind, level-matched, direct-mode experiment with my sales guy I also couldn't tell any difference between Onkyo and D/M through some speakers I'm very familiar with.

Last edited:
S

sakete

Audioholic
So I'm very sure at this point I'll go for a Yamaha receiver. Now deciding between the A1070 which I can get for $600 or the A2070 which I can get for $800. That's 110W vs 140W in 2ch, which will be my primary use. Are there any other important benefits I'd get by going with the A2070 over the A1070, besides more power/headroom? I'll be driving a pair of Revel F36, which dips down to 4ohm at certain frequencies so I think the additional headroom wouldn't hurt.

My main reason for picking Yamaha over Denon is the supposedly higher reliability and the fact that the Yamaha Android apps, which I'll be using a lot to stream FLACs off of my NAS server at home, work very well and bug free, whereas the Denon apps are horrible. Maybe Audyssey XT32 is slightly better than YPAO, but I'll get a UMIK-1 + REW and will do some manual EQ once I get around to it. And once it's set I won't have to touch it again for a long time. Whereas I'll be using those apps daily, and that experience will be more important :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So I'm very sure at this point I'll go for a Yamaha receiver. Now deciding between the A1070 which I can get for $600 or the A2070 which I can get for $800. That's 110W vs 140W in 2ch, which will be my primary use. Are there any other important benefits I'd get by going with the A2070 over the A1070, besides more power/headroom? I'll be driving a pair of Revel F36, which dips down to 4ohm at certain frequencies so I think the additional headroom wouldn't hurt.

My main reason for picking Yamaha over Denon is the supposedly higher reliability and the fact that the Yamaha Android apps, which I'll be using a lot to stream FLACs off of my NAS server at home, work very well and bug free, whereas the Denon apps are horrible. Maybe Audyssey XT32 is slightly better than YPAO, but I'll get a UMIK-1 + REW and will do some manual EQ once I get around to it. And once it's set I won't have to touch it again for a long time. Whereas I'll be using those apps daily, and that experience will be more important :)
The 2000 series can adjust 2 subs separately. That’s another perk.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

If you are not interested in 7.1.4 then Yamaha is a good choice. For just 3 dB gain in spl you need 2x the power so power output difference between mid range AVRs are practically meaningless but the 2080 tested even better than the 3080 in all channel driven, if that's important to you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, @PENG needs to post screenshots his REW settings so we don't have to work to hard. ;):D

I'll probably play around with UMIK1+REW soon also.
I'll be measuring my diy speakers tomorrow anyway so I'll post the screen shots then. Too hot today..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
deciding between the A1070 which I can get for $600 or the A2070 which I can get for $800.
For a primary system, I would get the A2070.

I think the A2070 series can output ~ 280W x 2Ch into 4 ohms.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I'll be measuring my diy speakers tomorrow anyway so I'll post the screen shots then. Too hot today..
Found out thunderstorm forecasted for tomorrow, will do the measurements and scr shots on Sunday.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Seems like you have some misconceptions about such EQ systems, examples: less position is not "better" factually speaking, but is to you obviously, full band is more likely not as good as "small" if you have subwoofer(s),but again, I understand it is to you, spl meter is not necessarily more "accurate" than the auto setup results, and whether you prefer one system over the other, or manual adjustments is highly subjective therefore "better" is, also only factual to the individual user if determined by ears.

I do not have a subwoofer.

It made no sense to me to force me to set 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 when i don’t have all them other speakers. And run 8 positions for only 2 speakers. Audyssey also set my towers to full band. Which i guess without a subwoofer is fine.

I understand that. That’s why i stated i prefer manual eq. I never said it was better. I just prefer it. It’s sounds better to me. My results are better. Accueq results were better than audyssey in my setup.

Last edited:
Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Which Frequencies did they change?

What kind of EQ does it have?

The same GRAPHIC EQ in the Marantz?

Or something even more BASIC (like tones) than the Graphic EQ in the Marantz?
It has both! It’s graphic. With 3 different preset/save modes. 1, 2, and 3.
It also has a separate tone (bass, treble) you can use as well.

Out of + or -6 it set my upper frequencies up .5-2.5 across the board. Audyssey maxed me out in the same frequencies +5 and 6.

It left my bass alone. Though; instead of just having a 63Hz setting like with the marantz, the Onkyo also has a 25Hz setting as well i can control. Since i currently don’t have a sub, that shouldn’t matter anyway. My towers don’t go that low lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s graphic (EQ).

Out of + or -6 it set my upper frequencies up .5-2.5 across the board. Audyssey maxed me out in the same frequencies +5 and 6.
The Onkyo has a Graphic EQ. Are the Frequency Bands the same as Marantz, but with the added 25Hz band?

25Hz
63Hz
125Hz
250Hz
500Hz
1kHz
2kHz
4kHz
8kHz
16kHz

Last edited:
X

XTex

Audioholic Intern
It has both! It’s graphic. With 3 different preset/save modes. 1, 2, and 3.
It also has a separate tone (bass, treble) you can use as well.

It left my bass alone. Though; instead of just having a 63Hz setting like with the marantz, the Onkyo also has a 25Hz setting as well i can control. Since i currently don’t have a sub, that shouldn’t matter anyway. My towers don’t go that low lol.
With the 25 Hz control you could further control the roll-off/bass attenuation if you wanted to. That's how I've used mine in the past.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I just sent an email to Yamaha asking if YPAO in the lower Yamaha Avantage models downsample all audio to 48kHz or retain up to 192kHz.
My TSR-7790 does and does it well.. it's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to upgrade..when you pickup a AVR with pre-amp output for 299.00 makes it hard to part with it. It's been a very solid unit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My TSR-7790 does and does it well.. it's one of the reasons I can't bring myself to upgrade..when you pickup a AVR with pre-amp output for 299.00 makes it hard to part with it. It's been a very solid unit.
Yeah, hard to let go a perfectly working Yamaha. :D

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
The Onkyo has a Graphic EQ. Are the Frequency Bands the same as Marantz, but with the added 25Hz band?

25Hz
63Hz
125Hz
250Hz
500Hz
1kHz
2kHz
4kHz
8kHz
16kHz

Onkyo has

25Hz