Denon/Marantz vs Yamaha vs Anthem Thread

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
BTW, how does your system sound without any kind of room correction?
Not good at all in my current room...once I get all the room treatments installed, I hope it will sound much better. It will never sound as good as my old dedicated zHt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not good at all in my current room...once I get all the room treatments installed, I hope it will sound much better. It will never sound as good as my old dedicated zHt.

A lot of hard surfaces and reflections in your room or just a weird shape of the room?

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
A lot of hard surfaces and reflections in your room or just a weird shape of the room?
Our house is built out if clay brick walls about 10" thick, no sheetrock in the house, Cantera marble flooring, and a curved boveda ceiling. I will post up a pic from my phone.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Our house is built out if clay brick walls about 10" thick, no sheetrock in the house, Cantera marble flooring, and a curved boveda ceiling. I will post up a pic from my phone.
Oh, yeah, I forgot you said "MEXICO". :D

Room acoustic definitely sounds challenging with clay/brick walls and ceilings and marble flooring.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Oh, yeah, I forgot you said "MEXICO". :D

Room acoustic definitely sounds challenging with clay/brick walls and ceilings and marble flooring.
Yup...sound transferring outside of the house even with large windows is not a problem like it was in the USA with wood, and sheetrock.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yup...sound transferring outside of the house even with large windows is not a problem like it was in the USA with wood, and sheetrock.

Yeah, we're pretty spoiled in the USA. :D

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
Yeah, we're pretty spoiled in the USA. :D
Personally I prefer the solid clay walls, but we did not have the house built...or we would have had a dedicated HT.

Here are 2 pics of the room. I have 13,' tall black velvet Sound stage curtains installed now on the main wall and I have 2 more on the way for the side walls. The front speakers will be on the glass doors wall. They def made a big difference on their own. I am also installing 2 18' high corner bass traps in the next few weeks. will then start on 2 rows around the room twice with acoustic panels to hopefully finish off the treatments (other than some wool carpets).
1553779923_wm_full(2).jpg.679bb8f36697a2fda00b187f0b1d883f.jpg
1602929483_wm_full(1).jpg.2add3fa391a45ceffef9efffd8549741.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I HAVE owned several Denon AVRS, 2 Yamaha AVRs, Yamaha cxa5100, and a Krell showcase AVP.
The Denons were ok, but I did not like the sound of them (I cannot remember exactly why as it has been a while). I moved on from them to a Krell showcase...beautiful AVP, sounded great, but an apsolute ergonomic nightmare IMO. My current AVP is the cxa5100 which sounds good, and has excellent control via app. The down sides are remote is very limited in range, HDRADIO requires you to use WIFI (why?), and lastly YPAO needs to be replaced with DIRAC.
If they are going to replace it with Dirac Live, they may be better off by making it an option, so those who don't like/believe in an RC system (such as ADTG) don't have to pay for the full price. The cost to make it simply Dirac ready, should easily be offset by removing YPAO and the mic.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
If they are going to replace it with Dirac Live, they may be better off by making it an option, so those who don't like/believe in an RC system (such as ADTG) don't have to pay for the full price. The cost to make it simply Dirac ready, should easily be offset by removing YPAO and the mic.
Exactly, and that brings up my other idea...make have one wire hookup via a digital output, and a digital input like the old days when they had processor loops. Then Yamaha could sell you an optional bix to plugin with 1 input wire and 1 output wire...therefore eliminaring a wiring mess, and eliminating a DA.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
MCode and someone else said that the actual cost for manufacturers to include Dirac Room Correction is less than $100 for each unit.

I think most people who are buying the CX-A5000 series pre-pro won't mind much even if Yamaha were to increase the price by $200.

It's a good option. I could try it out and bypass it like I've done with other room correction. Certainly boost resale value.

I don't see Yamaha ever doing that, though. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
MCode and someone else said that the actual cost for manufacturers to include Dirac Room Correction is less than $100 for each unit.

I think most people who are buying the CX-A5000 series pre-pro won't mind much even if Yamaha were to increase the price by $200.

It's a good option. I could try it out and bypass it like I've done with other room correction. Certainly boost resale value.

I don't see Yamaha ever doing that, though. :D
If he meant the manufacturer's cost, then be prepared to pay at least $200 for it. I think a good part of it is the licensing fee, that's why I think making it optional, i.e. via internet upgrade should be considered. Still have to buy a mic though. One issue is, if YPAO is removed, Yamaha would have to include a basic auto setup for balancing the channel levels. XO can be done easily manually.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If he meant the manufacturer's cost, then be prepared to pay at least $200 for it. I think a good part of it is the licensing fee, that's why I think making it optional, i.e. via internet upgrade should be considered. Still have to buy a mic though. One issue is, if YPAO is removed, Yamaha would have to include a basic auto setup for balancing the channel levels. XO can be done easily manually.
I just don't see Yamaha adopting DIRAC.

I think if they adopted DIRAC, it won't be an optional format. And it would be only for the CX-A5000 series.

But not happening. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I just don't see Yamaha adopting DIRAC.

I think if they adopted DIRAC, it won't be an optional format. And it would be only for the CX-A5000 series.

But not happening. :D
I think you are right, and given the presumed resource they have, they should continue their effort to update/improve YPAO, and include something like Audyssey's Editor App, i.e. YPAO editor app.

H

hifihillbilly

Junior Audioholic
Congrats on the Anthem 720!

We all know the excitement of getting new components. :D

I just got the JVC DLA-NX5 projector, and I'm still feeling HIGH right now (no drug jokes please :) ). :D

So, why did you get the Anthem, instead of the other brands?
Personally, I went with Anthem based on lots of research that told me the sound quality of the Anthem is superior to other brands and the ARC room correction. It does not have all the bells and whistles as some of the others but it has what I need. Also it supposed to play well with an external amp.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I went with Anthem based on lots of research that told me the sound quality of the Anthem is superior to other brands and the ARC room correction. It does not have all the bells and whistles as some of the others but it has what I need. Also it supposed to play well with an external amp.
That's just some hearsay, can't be stated as facts. Why would it sound superior? I heard their high end separates, sounded great but so are the "others", but that's my subjective experience, not necessarily fact either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the prices people pay for Anthem you better bet they're gonna say nice things about them....but ARC does generally seem to get good marks, the rest of the avr seems fairly typical in general.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just a quick question PENG because I'm interested in acquiring the Yamaha prepro series either the 5100 or 5200. Yamaha doesn't have a basic way to balance the channel levels now If I bypass there room correction? Its probably a stupid question but I never use room correction anymore either and would want to dial it in manually

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just a quick question PENG because I'm interested in acquiring the Yamaha prepro series either the 5100 or 5200. Yamaha doesn't have a basic way to balance the channel levels now If I bypass there room correction? Its probably a stupid question but I never use room correction anymore either and would want to dial it in manually
You apply the YPAO, which will balance and set all the speakers levels. Then you can Bypass (mode = Through) the YPAO, which will still retain all the speaker levels and distances.

Of course, you can always manually adjust all the speakers and subs channel levels and distance.

You can read Gene’s review on his CX-A5100. He applied YPAO, then use the Parametric EQ (PEQ) to fine tune the EQ.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis