Denon/Marantz Audyssey MultEQ Editor App Allows Full Customization of Sound

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have run a few rounds with the App. My setup is slightly complex since I have two 18" DIY Subs which need to be DSP:d before running Multieq.
First impressions:
The app brings customization to a price point never seen before.
There's still a lot of stuff improve on
- Fairly buggy but it gets the job done
- I like a curve that increases 1dB per octave going lower. Target curve customization is politely said clumsy even on a 13" Ipad Pro.
- The App will change your speaker size settings and crossovers. They cannot be touched in the App but must be corrected in the AVR
- Documentation is thin to non existent
Even with these limitations I am seeing positive results in sound quality and believe in the future potential of the App. I haven't yet had the time to do a more extensive listening tests and REW measurements.
I'm having a lot of trouble getting any kind of measurable or audible difference when I upload an adjusted curve. I have a thread chronicling my issues. I like being able to save different calibration files, but I've pretty much given up on the editor at this point.

I should add that my response is pretty flat before editing anything. I just wanted to tweak a peak and a dip,

W

Wingedrider

Audiophyte
Bought the app, to use with my Denon AVR X4400H, to change the subwoofers roll off under 40hz. It did exactly what I wanted and was easy to use. Thank you so much as I had no idea how to accomplish this until I saw your YouTube video.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Could you link the You ube video please, thanks

SCG

SCG

Audiophyte
Is the app worth the $20, I do like ability to load different config/profiles into the AVR, especially when testing a new speaker or room configuration. Sometime I run Audyssey and REW and find I like the old config measurements better and it would be great to save it and then just reload it with the app.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the app worth the $20, I do like ability to load different config/profiles into the AVR, especially when testing a new speaker or room configuration. Sometime I run Audyssey and REW and find I like the old config measurements better and it would be great to save it and then just reload it with the app.
In my opinion, it is worth the $20 for sure. It is not perfect, far from it, but it works with some minor assumed bugs that happens to many apps that I use. My only suggestion is that if you don't use REW/Umik-1 mic to guide you each time you try your adjusted graph, you really don't have much idea if the improvements (even just theoretically speaking) are there because the adjust curve and the real response curve won't be exactly the same.

While ymmv, in my two systems that I have tried, I found changing the crossover points have much more significant effects on the overall (multiple channels running) response than using the adjusted target curves, so if you want the best theoretical response you need to do both, with the help of REW. I emphasized "theoretical" because flat curve may not sound the best to a lot of people.

SCG

SCG

Audiophyte
My only suggestion is that if you don't use REW/Umik-1 mic to guide you each time you try your adjusted graph, you really don't have much idea if the improvements (even just theoretically speaking) are there because the adjust curve and the real response curve won't be exactly the same.
I agree, if you're not measuring after any adjustments you're really just shooting in the dark. I have dual 18" subs and compared both the sealed and ported versions in-home.

Everyone stated that I would get much better lower extension with the ported version (due to the nature of its design) but because the ported were so much bigger I had limited options were I could place them in my room compared to the sealed version.

And the REW/Umik-1 mic test revealed what I was hearing, that in my room with my placement options - other than a nice 3db bump at 16hz with the ported version, the sealed version had higher and flatter output from 18hz-30hz and everything about 30hz were more or less the same with varying small trade offs between the 2 versions.

C

cntbill

Audiophyte
I know a little late to the party.... but just purchased this App to use with my Marantz SR8012 and every thing with the App seemed to work fine. But Now What? Sorry nebie at this stuff and with no instructions with the app is pretty much useless to me. Could someone suggest where to start to learn how to use this app? TIA

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know a little late to the party.... but just purchased this App to use with my Marantz SR8012 and every thing with the App seemed to work fine. But Now What? Sorry nebie at this stuff and with no instructions with the app is pretty much useless to me. Could someone suggest where to start to learn how to use this app? TIA
I don't think you need any more than the onscreen instructions, follow it and you should do well.

C

cntbill

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply Peng... I guess I should have said I didn't see any instructions with adjusting the curves or rather what the curves do. I guess the App is more geared to those that understand setting the frequencies, etc.
I understand setting crossovers but anything much more I'm lost. So any suggested starting points that I don't need a Degree to understand to get a better handle with frequencies. Thanks again...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the reply Peng... I guess I should have said I didn't see any instructions with adjusting the curves or rather what the curves do. I guess the App is more geared to those that understand setting the frequencies, etc.
I understand setting crossovers but anything much more I'm lost. So any suggested starting points that I don't need a Degree to understand to get a better handle with frequencies. Thanks again...
You can use you finger to alter the shape of the target curve. It is a very clumsy way obviously, but it is definitely better than no way. Keep in mind, just because you shape the target curve, it does not mean the actual result will follow exactly but it will try, and can be quite effective to correct the bumps. For dips, it will be hit and miss because there is a limit for how much you can boost, and in many applying boost would just be a waste of amp power to a large extent depending on those "room modes".

In my experience, XT32 typically would result in a flattened response from 15-200 Hz, say within +/- 3.5 dB, using the Editor App would allow me to get it within +/- 2.5 to 2.75 dB and then by manually fine tuning the phase and the subwoofers build in PEQ, +/- 1.75 to 2 dB is possible, based on 1/12th smoothing, or +/-2 to 3 dB with no smoothing applied. All my measurements are done using REW and Umik-1 mic.

C

cntbill

Audiophyte
Once again, Thanks for your time and reply, this is part of the information I need. Appears it's going to take some time playing around with the App. Once I get more time to experiment with it and get a better understanding I guess it would be best to start a new post with more relevant questions.

Thanks Again!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Once again, Thanks for your time and reply, this is part of the information I need. Appears it's going to take some time playing around with the App. Once I get more time to experiment with it and get a better understanding I guess it would be best to start a new post with more relevant questions.

Thanks Again!
Feel free to start a new thread, but there are some existing. @KEW started one way back, https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/opinions-on-audyssey-app.110001/

I posted quite a few graphs on audyssey off vs on etc., too, (with and without using the App) if you are interested.

C

cntbill

Audiophyte
Great I'll check it out... and if you could point me to your post of the graphs I'd be interested as well...

Thanks again...

R

RTG

Audioholic
Decided to try the app for my Denon X4300. Wow. What a difference. I’ve been using the Flat curve to avoid MRC but never liked the idea of a Flat EQ. I’ve had many AVR’s that use Audyssey but it’s always sounded processed to me. I like the idea of a slight rolloff but again, avoided Reference due to MRC. Using the App it looks like my levels are more accurate. Before my subs were set at -5, now -3.5. I limited the MultiEQ to 300hz, turned off MCR. Chose Reference 1 and left DEQ engaged since it sounds excellent in my room. Pumped up the XO to 100hz for my mains and 150hz for my surrounds, surround backs and Atmos modules. The difference is substantial. I have Klipsch RP’s and felt Audyssey has always choked the top end. Limiting to 300hz has put me into sonic bliss. Clarity and detail is significantly better but also smoother and not as fatiguing. My speakers now have the warmth back.

R

RTG

Audioholic
I’ve experimented more with that app over the last month. I limited MultiEQ to 300hz and turned off DEQ. The sound is much better and detailed with DEQ off. What I notice most is the detail I was missing with I was using MultiEQ full range. It’s as if a veil has been removed from my RP’s. Bass is better defined without DEQ. It sounds more precise and natural. Overall I’m very pleased with the App. Much better results than when calibrating through the AVR.

R

RTG

Audioholic
It’s the opposite for me now. Audyssey does a good taming my speakers. I did enjoy limiting MultiEQ for a few months but have gone back full range. I only use my room for watching movies and tv so I prefer the Reference Curve with DEQ ON. I do like the app since it lets me turn off MRC.

A

AudioLover73

Enthusiast
I hear the newer models can store Audyssey profiles in the receiver. Does anyone know which models have that capability? I'm setting up a listening area with multiple sets of speakers I can choose, so it would be awesome to be able to switch to different profiles depending on which speakers I'm listening to. I know I can store profiles on the app on my phone but it takes a bit more time to upload them from my phone that I'm happy with.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
…Audioholics suggests Blue Jean Cable…I have tried to match the quality of BJC with mediabridge 12 gauge wire and banana plugs but my attempt has been in vain. Even canire wire sounds terrible when compared to BJC.
What? You think Audioholics’ message is that BJC are the best sounding wires and other wires don’t sound as good?:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis