Denon/Marantz Audyssey MultEQ Editor App Allows Full Customization of Sound

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What I don't understand is say you have a sub that can only go as low as 20 Hz. You calibrate it with Audyssey and then use the app to extend the curve to 10 Hz.
Won't this approach damage the sub?
Hey asere! I think it would depend on the sub. For example sealed subs would tolerate the boost a little better but you'd likely run into distortion. With a ported sub you could unload the driver and bottom it out and start breaking stuff. I wouldn't try it with a ported sub.

A

asere

Audioholic
Hey asere! I think it would depend on the sub. For example sealed subs would tolerate the boost a little better but you'd likely run into distortion. With a ported sub you could unload the driver and bottom it out and start breaking stuff. I wouldn't try it with a ported sub.
I see. With the app you can manually raise or lower the curve on the speakers and subs anywhere but basically leave extending alone, yes?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I see. With the app you can manually raise or lower the curve on the speakers and subs anywhere but basically leave extending alone, yes?

I'd say yes. Adjust to taste above the sub range, and even in the subs range but I personally wouldn't boost below the subs range. Your KK's are tough but I know you don't want to put more part in em lol.

A

asere

Audioholic
I'd say yes. Adjust to taste above the sub range, and even in the subs range but I personally wouldn't boost below the subs range. Your KK's are tough but I know you don't want to put more part in em lol.
Sounds good. I don't have the app yet. My receiver is the x4200 Denon. I am just getting helpful info in case I think it's worth upgrading in order to use the app. Thank you!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What I don't understand is say you have a sub that can only go as low as 20 Hz. You calibrate it with Audyssey and then use the app to extend the curve to 10 Hz.
Won't this approach damage the sub?
If the sub is in sealed box, there is not much risk but you probably won't get much more response because of the mechanical limits of the driver.

However, if the box is ported, and it is tuned to a frequency higher than 10 Hz, you will definitely damage the sub as it will be subjected to excursions beyond its xmax. Its movement will no longer be restricted by the enclosed air in the box.

A

asere

Audioholic
If the sub is in sealed box, there is not much risk but you probably won't get much more response because of the mechanical limits of the driver.

However, if the box is ported, you will definitely damage the sub as it will be subjected to excursions beyond its xmax. Its movement will no longer be restricted by the enclosed air in the box.
Yes thanks. Someone mentioned that earlier. The app seems like fun. I just don't know if it's worth upgrading my x4200.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Regardless of the frequency Audyssey has a limit for boost to help avoid damages.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I had actually just emailed Audyssey about the release of this app two days before it was released. Their response was "very soon". They weren't kidding! I downloaded it right away and I am very pleased. I really liked how Audyssey had made my system sound except for the way it was trying to boost the high end. The app allowed me to change the target curve slightly and it made it all sound more natural. My system sounds better than it ever has. The app was well worth the $20.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I guess that leaves out my SR 7010 upgraded to quick I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It leaves out all pre-2016 models of both brands. If I only knew when I got my 4520 LOL. Wonder if its more a license fee issue in terms of upgrading older units or needing specific processor/hardware on the board or what....like Pogre it's got me thinking (but not quite up to scheming) how much I'd like to play with this.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Gene, time for a video how to specifically use this app, looking forward to that if possible, thanks.......

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Too bad it doesn't work with my Note 4. Hopefully they will fix that.

C

Chudik

Audiophyte
I asked Chris about plans to extend the app to the older receivers and his response was:
... this decision is up to D&M who would have to release new firmware for past models. We have not heard of such plans.
I wonder would it be possible to create something like a petition to D&M for update older firmware that would allow using this app with older receivers?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I asked Chris about plans to extend the app to the older receivers and his response was:

I wonder would it be possible to create something like a petition to D&M for update older firmware that would allow using this app with older receivers?
If there is one, I am in. I don't mind paying for it either, say up to $75, but not more.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If there is one, I am in. I don't mind paying for it either, say up to $75, but not more.:D
Same here. :D

.....Although I am already extremely happy with my current SQ. But I might get bored in the future. :D

C

Chudik

Audiophyte
If there is one, I am in.
I did not hear about such petition. Just thought, since the Audioholics is quite popular site and forum - the owners of this resource could try to create one.
While I just ordered Denon X6300H instead of my current 2809, this problem is not mine, but I would sign such petition to D&M to push them to fair game. Probably this petition should go to Sound United who bought the D&M

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm itching to get a new receiver and have the money for one, but I'm gonna wait for a price drop this fall to save some dough on a newer unit with this feature. Currently watching the Denon X4300W.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis