Denon Firmware Update Nightmare

G

Gordon Reinauer

Audiophyte
I had the same "update retry" loop problem... then follows" communication failure01"

Doing the manual's reset hold down Preset +/Preset- did not help at all... so I called Denon Tech help 1-201-762-6665 (Mahwah NJ)

What will 'probably' work is this (a Full Factory Reset)

1. while holding down BOTH " Preset+ & Tune-" ...now press Power ON
2. now release all 3 buttons (after holding down buttons for a couple of seconds)
3. you should now see on the display panel an entire series of Graph Like BARS (left to right) which signifies it is doing a full "FACTORY RESET"
4. when complete, turn OFF & then turn back ON...the "update retry" should be GONE (yea!!)
5. You will have to do a reset of most everything (Audyssy Sound Calibration, button presets etc)

6. A PIECE OF FREE ADVICE...do NOT do an SOFTWARE UPDATE unless you are having problems...seems many problems arise when trying to do a software update(but if you do, I suggest using cat. 5 cable to router and do not use WiFi for update connection (not reliable)

I was all set to either pay an authorized Denon Repair company to do a flash reset (with no guarantee that it would work) or buy another Home Theater RX (Denon Yamaha Sony etc). The Tech help (friendly) at Denon USA told me about this OTHER reset...And it worked just fine. Don't understand why Denon manual doesn't cover this. Again the other 'reset option' in the manual didn't do a thing...

BTW... this worked for my AVR-S710W...other Denon units may need a slightly different reset. If in doubt call the Denon Tech help 1-201-762-6665

F

fattest

Audiophyte
I had the same "update retry" loop problem... then follows" communication failure01"
Thank you!!!! I had this exact issue when my s710w powered off during the recent update. Following your steps brought it back to life.

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
Let me add an answer to this thread for the sake of posterity, if anyone else needs it.

I just had a firmware update fail on my AVR x3300w through my own stupidity. I assumed that it downloaded the binary blob first, and then once the update started it no longer needed the network, so I rebooted my router (for another reason). I was wrong. Apparently it needs network access throughout the process.

Anyway, this resulted in the dreaded "Update Retry" loop.

I am in the process of solving this by doing a firmware update via USB as described here. It took a surprisingly long time for the firmware update to complete (about 45 minutes) but it did the trick, and I am back in business without having to do a reset, so I didn't lose any of my settings.

Last edited:
Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Anybody have problems updating their Yamaha AVR? I have a RX a1050 which I’ve updated several (4+) times wirelessly and have never had a single problem.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I update mine about every few months as updates come out. So far no issues. I do the RXV681 first. Then I update my RXA2060 a couple days later. Last updates were June 14th and I did them earlier this week. Nothing new that I noticed. I’ve got pretty stable WiFi. Not sure if everyone does so I understand some people use a wired internet or even a usb method to get the job done.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I’ve done two updates on my Yamaha
TSR-7790 went very smoothly used my cell phone, wireless. Thing is I want upgrade to A2070 but I have a 5 channel amp hooked up to the 7790 unit has performed flawlessly since I got it. Unit doesn’t have ATMOS or DTS-X so don’t know if I will upgrade it think l’ll upgrade front mains and sub. I did have a Onkyo NR656 had update problems with that unit, but was my fault cause I ran out of date on my phone had to do a reset on that unit and had to start over it did update as soon as my Data plan renewed as the speed was the problem.

Mike

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve done two updates on my Yamaha
TSR-7790 went very smoothly used my cell phone, wireless. Thing is I want upgrade to A2070 but I have a 5 channel amp hooked up to the 7790 unit has performed flawlessly since I got it. Unit doesn’t have ATMOS or DTS-X so don’t know if I will upgrade it think l’ll upgrade front mains and sub. I did have a Onkyo NR656 had update problems with that unit, but was my fault cause I ran out of date on my phone had to do a reset on that unit and had to start over it did update as soon as my Data plan renewed as the speed was the problem.

Mike
Every time I look at speaker upgrades in my 5.1 theater room, I think about dual subs. Then I think I need an electrician to expand the electrical panel to run another circuit or 2... Then I forget about it again. LOL :). First world problems... I do think I’ll be getting an electrician at some point but will be for adding a hot tub plus those new circuits to the man cave... :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Every time I look at speaker upgrades in my 5.1 theater room, I think about dual subs. Then I think I need an electrician to expand the electrical panel to run another circuit or 2... Then I forget about it again. LOL :). First world problems... I do think I’ll be getting an electrician at some point but will be for adding a hot tub plus those new circuits to the man cave... :)
Very sweet indeed Bro!! Lol, I’ll have the funds in a few months from now. I want the build of a flagship Yamaha, don’t need 9 or more channels, with the premier DAC’s in them and all the latest surround Formats. My Son has the A1050 it’s over 3 years old sounds incredible he loves that unit. Hot tub sounds awesome Bro! I mean after all we can’t take it with us when we kick the ole bucket.
PS, Have a great weekend “snakeeyes!!
Mike

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Very sweet indeed Bro!! Lol, I’ll have the funds in a few months from now. I want the build of a flagship Yamaha, don’t need 9 or more channels, with the premier DAC’s in them and all the latest surround Formats. My Son has the A1050 it’s over 3 years old sounds incredible he loves that unit. Hot tub sounds awesome Bro! I mean after all we can’t take it with us when we kick the ole bucket.
PS, Have a great weekend “snakeeyes!!
Mike
Thanks man. You too!

mattlach

mattlach

Junior Audioholic
I thought this was going to be a problem when I added my two SVS PC13 Ultra's to my setup, but it turns out you can get away with a lot. Apparently amplifiers very rarely (never?) hit their max power draw.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought this was going to be a problem when I added my two SVS PC13 Ultra's to my setup, but it turns out you can get away with a lot. Apparently amplifiers very rarely (never?) hit their max power draw.
Rarely, but not never as such. The important thing is, when it does, it only last a very short moment so it won't do any harm and won't trip a breaker unless there is a fault.

F

Frankiejoey

Audiophyte
That just happened to me, by mistake I pressed to update firmware on my denon 920 while on wireless. Receiver started to loop on retry. Managed to fix that as easy as plugging the ethernet cable directly in my router. Lesson not to update again on wireless.

P

Pumpkin

Audiophyte
It has been over 5 years since this thread started, let’s keep it going!!

Our Denon AVR-1913 and speakers have been in storage (VERY well-kept), and we broke them out for some home theatre fun since we have been stuck inside. But now, I am at a loss with this F’IN UPDATE LOOP!!

Is there a DIY ‘flash reset’ I can do from home? Does anyone know what their magical button mashing combos are for this 1913? And I’m trying to dial their customer service phone number but I can’t get past that forebearing -666_!

o_O

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It has been over 5 years since this thread started, let’s keep it going!!

Our Denon AVR-1913 and speakers have been in storage (VERY well-kept), and we broke them out for some home theatre fun since we have been stuck inside. But now, I am at a loss with this F’IN UPDATE LOOP!!

Is there a DIY ‘flash reset’ I can do from home? Does anyone know what their magical button mashing combos are for this 1913? And I’m trying to dial their customer service phone number but I can’t get past that forebearing -666_!

o_O
OK. This is what you can try.

First of all make a wired connection between your receiver and your router. DO NOT USE Wi-Fi.

Now here is the Sound United site you need.

It contains the instructions for resetting your receiver back to factory defaults.

Carry out these instructions. If the receiver stays in that loop then that will be bad news. The only remedy after that is reflashing the receiver's BIOS. That is not something you can do. You will have to send the receiver to an authorized service center, if you can ascertain they still have the ability to do this on a seven year old receiver.

If the reset works, then you can download the correct firmware update from the site I linked you to.

Let us know how you get on. I do note that success has been variable, with some units responding to the reset and some not. You might want to attempt up to five resets if the initial ones fail.

P

Pumpkin

Audiophyte
OK. This is what you can try.

First of all make a wired connection between your receiver and your router. DO NOT USE Wi-Fi.

Now here is the Sound United site you need.

It contains the instructions for resetting your receiver back to factory defaults.

Carry out these instructions. If the receiver stays in that loop then that will be bad news. The only remedy after that is reflashing the receiver's BIOS. That is not something you can do. You will have to send the receiver to an authorized service center, if you can ascertain they still have the ability to do this on a seven year old receiver.

If the reset works, then you can download the correct firmware update from the site I linked you to.

Let us know how you get on. I do note that success has been variable, with some units responding to the reset and some not. You might want to attempt up to five resets if the initial ones fail.
Thank you so much for the quick reply, friend!

We previously read about the no-WiFi tip and pulled our router across the house to make our Ethernet cords reach the 1913 as well as our desktop to visit its local IP address. From the browser interface, we made the HUGE mistake of thinking updating the firmware would help (bigger mistake was wiring her up to the 7.1 before knowing nothing would be coming out of the speakers)!

We will go try to repeat the instructions in the PDF to reset the old girl.

Again, thanks for the quick reply with helpful information! If you don’t hear back, RIP 1913.

:oops:

J

jbcolt

Audiophyte
Thank you so much for the quick reply, friend!

We previously read about the no-WiFi tip and pulled our router across the house to make our Ethernet cords reach the 1913 as well as our desktop to visit its local IP address. From the browser interface, we made the HUGE mistake of thinking updating the firmware would help (bigger mistake was wiring her up to the 7.1 before knowing nothing would be coming out of the speakers)!

We will go try to repeat the instructions in the PDF to reset the old girl.

Again, thanks for the quick reply with helpful information! If you don’t hear back, RIP 1913.

:oops:
I had the same issue on the 1913. I was connected to the network via ethernet cable and tried the factory reset to get out of the update retry loop. That didn't work for me. However, I was able to get out of it by doing a network reset. This is not documented in the user's guide, however you can follow the procedures outlined on this site (sorry for the reference to a different forum):

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These days I tend to only allow a firmware update when I know what's in it and know that I need it....

L

lexi

Audiophyte
Had the Update Retry loop on the AVR-1913. Tried everything in this forum with no success. Called Denon and they gave us this fix:
1. Power off.
2. Hold down the power button, and "Zone 2 Source" and "Dimmer" simultaneously.
3. Wait for it to flash in intervals of 1 second, then release the buttons!

Working perfectly now. Hope this helps someone out!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Had the Update Retry loop on the AVR-1913. Tried everything in this forum with no success. Called Denon and they gave us this fix:
1. Power off.

Is that different from the reset procedure in your manual?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
1. Power off.

I have a Denon AVR-1912 that's been sitting around for about 5 years (since I got an NAD T758, now upgraded to a v3 version.) I may have to press it back into brief service as the entire living room system is being sold off and I might need something temporarily.

Does this AVR-1912 need to be updated?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis