Denon Firmware Update Nightmare

RockindaBass!

RockindaBass!

Audiophyte
Tell you if you've heard this before: I just purchased a Denon AVR-S900W receiver. I set everything up, and was going through the motions, when I checked to see if there were any updates available. There was one, so I went to update it.

Fool me once...

My receiver now is in a "update retry" loop, and I can't get rid of it. I've tried turing it on and off, reseting to factory settings, and plugged it. After turning it off then on, it goes back to "update retry". I first got a message stating "Connection Fail 21", then after unplugging it, then trying to reset, got a "Connection Fail 0E." The receiver is unusable, and I cannot get rid of this updating loop of horror.

I'm completely lost. I've read online that this is a common problem, but with dozens of probable causes with a variety of "fixes". I'm going to call Denon tomorrow and see what they say, but wanted to put this up to see if this had happened to anyone, and if they were able to fix it.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

However things end up, consider it a lesson learned. I’ve heard all kinds of horror stories about updates on all kinds of equipment. That’s why I never update, ever, unless I personally see the unit has a problem that the update is supposed to fix.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Tell you if you've heard this before: I just purchased a Denon AVR-S900W receiver. I set everything up, and was going through the motions, when I checked to see if there were any updates available. There was one, so I went to update it.

Fool me once...

My receiver now is in a "update retry" loop, and I can't get rid of it. I've tried turing it on and off, reseting to factory settings, and plugged it. After turning it off then on, it goes back to "update retry". I first got a message stating "Connection Fail 21", then after unplugging it, then trying to reset, got a "Connection Fail 0E." The receiver is unusable, and I cannot get rid of this updating loop of horror.

I'm completely lost. I've read online that this is a common problem, but with dozens of probable causes with a variety of "fixes". I'm going to call Denon tomorrow and see what they say, but wanted to put this up to see if this had happened to anyone, and if they were able to fix it.
You can't fix it. The update must have become interrupted. It will have to go back to Denon to have the BIOS reflashed. I have heard cases where the device can not be fixed after these types of incidents. However I understand a reflash of the BIOS usually does the trick.

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
I agree with above poster. that is most likely going to have to be done.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I recon fixin' to poop or get off the pot - get on blower with em Denon folk is ya best choice

LightningMike

LightningMike

Enthusiast
I was looking at this unit at Best Buy a couple days ago, semi drooling LOL. The mgr told me that if I intended to buy a new AVR regardless of brand, the extra-cost warranty might be a smart move. If something goes wrong, they could swap a fresh unit or take the responsibility for sending it back to a service center for re flashing. BTW, I have updated bios and/firmware on various products and never had a glitch like this. Usually, the old firmware is stored on a memory stick so you can revert back to it. But Denon might be different.

More interested in how pleased you were with the unit before the problem?

Mike

T

tedibear

Audiophyte

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
did it get un plugged while updating?

4UAll

Audiophyte
Had this error. Got it solved.

- I reset my receiver as indicated in the manual
- Connected it to my network by an ethernet cable. For information, once reset, it switched to defaults, that means ethernet network, so wifi couldn't be recognized anymore.
- Restarted the receiver
- Update retry completed successfully

Thinking now... Manual says that a firmware update messes with network configuration, so if an update fails then wifi network can possibly not be available anymore. So before reset, you may try an ethernet connection.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As a general rule of thumb, if it all possible NEVER upgrade firmware via wireless, there are too many things that could go wrong, dropped signal etc. I actually have a 50' Ethernet cable to go from my router to the equipment I pull out of the closet, just for this reason. after the update, go back to wifi. The same way I upgrade my router's firmware. Much less risk with a hardline even though I would rate my wifi uptime at 99.999%

LightningMike

LightningMike

Enthusiast
Agree 110% on the hardwire update procedure. Probably doesn't need it but even when I update IOS on my iPads or iPhones... I plug them into the computer before starting the process. I have wifi in the house, mainly for iPads and iPhones although I do use my MacBookPro via wifi on occasion LOL. But my BD Player and AppleTV are both hard-wired even though they are streaming for the most part.

I see the little wifi antennas sticking up from various AVRs and I'm still trying to figure out why you'd really need wifi and couldn't get by with just ethernet. I'm sure there's some good uses, probably depends on what you do with your media.

T

thiyagy

Audiophyte
Hi..
Any solution for this issue.. My New DENON 710W stuck with the UPDATE FAILED Loop mode ..
Shall be grateful if senior members can resolve..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi..
Any solution for this issue.. My New DENON 710W stuck with the UPDATE FAILED Loop mode ..
Shall be grateful if senior members can resolve..
If doing a factory reset does not solve it, then it will have to be returned to have the BIOS reflashed.

If you just bought it then return it as faulty and don't update the next one. If it is out of warranty you will have to pay for the repair. If it is passed the store return date then it will require warranty service.

T

thiyagy

Audiophyte
If doing a factory reset does not solve it, then it will have to be returned to have the BIOS reflashed.

If you just bought it then return it as faulty and don't update the next one. If it is out of warranty you will have to pay for the repair. If it is passed the store return date then it will require warranty service.
Hi..
Thanks for the quick reply, Unfortunately I bought it From INDIA , in the rescent FRY S Sale through an on line shipper and got it last week..
Blessing in disguise, watching movie function is working, with connection fail messaage and not rebooting while watching movies.With this I think I should get satisfied. I thought of writing to DENON for solution , if they can send a USB drive with the Firmware , it may resolve the issue..

Please update if you can clarify..

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would never buy any electronic device from another country half way around the world to save a couple dollars, especially if it's available for discounted prices in my home country. The reason is support. I may have technical issues or warranty claims and it's just easier to get support.

T

Thommy

Audiophyte
I want to thank everyone for their comments. I was in the "firmware" loop and came up with the same Communication Fail 0E as others on my Denon AVR-E400. I was attempting the wireless firmware update and stupid me, shut off the system. Tried the reset and nothing (did read that holding down power, forward source select and zone 2 will reset the wifi back to day 1 but didn't try it). After racking my brain, reading everything I could find, this forum (Cos) provided the answer....hardwire back to the modem. Everything clicked and my Denon was back up and running in a few minutes.

Thanks Cos

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Actually 4UAII first posted the suggestion to go to an ethernet connection. Good thought to just retry type of connection, not sure I've seen much other than the usually suggested soft/hard resets before on interrupted updates....wonder if you conversely had an issue with a hardwire/usb type update if wifi might be an alternative....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Regarding upgrades, the major obstacle for AVR brands is that they don't provide well-thought out software which makes the upgrade process robust & foolproof.
They need to provide:
  • USB port
  • Software which provides download capability of the original version
  • EZ restore capability if required
As today firmware is more complex and frequently requires either bug fixing and/or protocol/function updating.

Just my $0.02... ;)

G

Gordon Reinauer

Audiophyte
I had the same "update retry" loop problem... then follows" communication failure01"

Doing the manual's reset hold down Preset +/Preset- did not help at all... so I called Denon Tech help 1-201-762-6665 (Mahwah NJ)

What will 'probably' work is this (a Full Factory Reset)

1. while holding down BOTH " Preset+ & Tune-" ...now press Power ON
2. now release all 3 buttons (after holding down buttons for a couple of seconds)
3. you should now see on the display panel an entire series of Graph Like BARS (left to right) which signifies it is doing a full "FACTORY RESET"
4. when complete, turn OFF & then turn back ON...the "update retry" should be GONE (yea!!)
5. You will have to do a reset of most everything (Audyssy Sound Calibration, button presets etc)

6. A PIECE OF FREE ADVICE...do NOT do an SOFTWARE UPDATE unless you are having problems...seems many problems arise when trying to do a software update(but if you do, I suggest using cat. 5 cable to router and do not use WiFi for update connection (not reliable)

I was all set to either pay an authorized Denon Repair company to do a flash reset (with no guarantee that it would work) or buy another Home Theater RX (Denon Yamaha Sony etc). The Tech help (friendly) at Denon USA told me about this OTHER reset...And it worked just fine. Don't understand why Denon manual doesn't cover this. Again the other 'reset option' in the manual didn't do a thing...

BTW... this worked for my AVR-S710W...other Denon units may need a slightly different reset. If in doubt call the Denon Tech help 1-201-762-6665

G

Gordon Reinauer

Audiophyte

Fool me once...

I want to thank everyone for their comments. I was in the "firmware" loop and came up with the same Communication Fail 0E as others on my Denon AVR-E400. I was attempting the wireless firmware update and stupid me, shut off the system. Tried the reset and nothing (did read that holding down power, forward source select and zone 2 will reset the wifi back to day 1 but didn't try it). After racking my brain, reading everything I could find, this forum (Cos) provided the answer....hardwire back to the modem. Everything clicked and my Denon was back up and running in a few minutes.

Thanks Cos

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis