Denon DVD-3930CI Review

djoxygen said:
I recommend leaving it ON so that all material is presented in its correct aspect ratio, rather than having 4:3 material displayed in, as we call it in the pro video world, "sports-bar mode".
I can't argue - it's really just a matter of preference, but the preferred mode for best performance of 16:9 material is probably OFF.
Clint, any feedback here? I saw the 2930, and liked the video side (almost on par with my 3910), but the audio was not there..........I want to see how the 3930 stacks up. I would expect some improvement on the video side, but not sure how the audio would stack up
Did you see the difference between the internals? I felt that I could not be properly set up to sufficiently A-B the two players objectively, so I left that out.

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
djoxygen said:
In the review you said, "I recommend turning Squeeze Mode off (so that 4:3-encoded material can be stretched to fit the screen if you so desire)."

If this is similar to the Oppo Squeeze mode, I recommend leaving it ON so that all material is presented in its correct aspect ratio, rather than having 4:3 material displayed in, as we call it in the pro video world, "sports-bar mode".
I don't know about Oppo, but on my 3910, "squeeze mode" shows everything in 4:3, even widescreen originals that are meant for 16:9. It takes a tour through the SETUP menus to fix this if you get a DVD that has a 4:3 format. The 3930's Auto squeeze mode, I hope, can detect when widescreen is the better choice.
Oh, and I HATE "sports-bar mode"!

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
No format problem for $1500

Can't you buy a Blu-ray and HD-DVD player for the cost of this thing?

The HD-DVD player has a rep for being a good SD player also.

The audio possibilities of the HD-DVD are better than this thing also: 7.1 discrete channel lossless surround on a 30 gig disc obsoletes DVD-A dosen't it?

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
ironlung said:
Can't you buy a Blu-ray and HD-DVD player for the cost of this thing?

The HD-DVD player has a rep for being a good SD player also.

The audio possibilities of the HD-DVD are better than this thing also: 7.1 discrete channel lossless surround on a 30 gig disc obsoletes DVD-A dosen't it?
Yes, just like the CD made the LP obsolete!

K

kens

Enthusiast
I was reading the manual for the 3930CI trying to determine what the audio outputs look like when using both HDMI and Denon Link 3rd. I assume all audio goes out over the Denon Link and only video goes out over HDMI. If that is true, is the audio for video DVDs output over Denon link as bitstream dolby/DTS or is it converted to PCM?

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
kens said:
I assume all audio goes out over the Denon Link and only video goes out over HDMI.
Yes

If that is true, is the audio for video DVDs output over Denon link as bitstream dolby/DTS or is it converted to PCM?
Bitstream.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
Clint, did you get a chance to check out this player at 480p via component? If so, how does it perform the HQV tests at component 480p vs HDMI 720p? I have a 768p plasma and would prefer to just swap DVD players (i.e., stay w/ component). However, if the performance is quantifiably better at HDMI 720p, I'll go that route. Thanks!

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
Clint, I'm studying your review along w/ the Denon user manual. You write, "...as well as whether you want to run progressive scan from the component outputs (and you can do so in parallel with HDMI!)"

while the manual reads on page 20, "When outputting video signals from the HDMI terminal, the video signals output from the component video terminals are interlaced."

Not sure which is correct, but wanted to bring this to your attention.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
No post to this thread over 2 weeks! I've said this in one other thread, as a question, but will add it here as this is the 3930CI review thread. I updated my Denon DVD2910 w/ this 3930CI, and over either HDMI (at 720p) or component (progressive), the PQ is way below that of the 2910. Now to be fair, my plasma had been calibrated upon install 13 months ago, and just 1 month ago for it's 1-year tuneup. But I really am surprised at the huge drop in PQ. That tells me the installer that performed the cal really made some signficant adjustments in the 2910, as well as in the plasma. Otherwise, if he made little to no adjustments at the DVD level, the PQ should be at least equal, one would think better enough to at least discern a small difference. I have an appt to have my plasma recal'd to my 3930 two weeks from yesterday. In the meantime, so I can enjoy the newest discs of The Sopranos from Netflix, I'm swapping out the 3930CI for the 2910! Relative to the properly calibrated 2910, I cannot stand to watch the uncalibraded 3930CI.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
ronnie 1.8 said:
No post to this thread over 2 weeks! I've said this in one other thread, as a question, but will add it here as this is the 3930CI review thread. I updated my Denon DVD2910 w/ this 3930CI, and over either HDMI (at 720p) or component (progressive), the PQ is way below that of the 2910. Now to be fair, my plasma had been calibrated upon install 13 months ago, and just 1 month ago for it's 1-year tuneup. But I really am surprised at the huge drop in PQ. That tells me the installer that performed the cal really made some signficant adjustments in the 2910, as well as in the plasma. Otherwise, if he made little to no adjustments at the DVD level, the PQ should be at least equal, one would think better enough to at least discern a small difference. I have an appt to have my plasma recal'd to my 3930 two weeks from yesterday. In the meantime, so I can enjoy the newest discs of The Sopranos from Netflix, I'm swapping out the 3930CI for the 2910! Relative to the properly calibrated 2910, I cannot stand to watch the uncalibraded 3930CI.
What screen are you using? Have you tried different resolution settings, progressive modes, etc? If nothing helps then maybe you have a defective 3930CI, it does happen.

cheers:)

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
What screen are you using? Have you tried different resolution settings, progressive modes, etc? If nothing helps then maybe you have a defective 3930CI, it does happen.

Uggh, I sure hope that's not the cause. I have a Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK commercial plasma. The picture looks as expected, no weird lines or anything, it's just not as saturated, the blacks are not black, and it doesn't seem to be as sharp. I played The Polar Express, and could see 'blocks' of color on the boys face in an early chapter. To one that has not seen a properly calibrated high quality display, they probably wouldn't notice anything.

Well, I have an appt 12/11 for a recal, so if he can't get it to look at least as good as the 2910 (should look better, right, as the 3930 has better video circuitry), I'll go through the steps of having it replaced. Bought it from ButterflyPhoto.

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
ronnie 1.8 said:
Well, I have an appt 12/11 for a recal, so if he can't get it to look at least as good as the 2910 (should look better, right, as the 3930 has better video circuitry), I'll go through the steps of having it replaced. Bought it from ButterflyPhoto.
The 3930 and the 5910 use the Realta HQV said to be the best in the world, so yes the 3930 should outperform the 2910 unless your display is re-scaling the image and messing with the picture quality.

cheers

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
MACCA350 said:
The 3930 and the 5910 use the Realta HQV said to be the best in the world, so yes the 3930 should outperform the 2910 unless your display is re-scaling the image and messing with the picture quality.

cheers
Yeah, I'll post my results, but it won't be until the 11th of Dec. I was outputting 720p, with my plasma's res being 1366x768, so I wouldn't believe re-scaling would be the cause.

BTW, like your DD-15. I have a DD-12 in a 200 sq ft room, and couldn't be happier with it. Well, maybe another DD-12 on the other side of the room perhaps... :D

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
Love the DD15:D Your display is re-scaling the image from 1280x720 to 1366x768 so there will be some quality loss but the question is how much. Its unfortunate that displays don't stick to the standard resolutions (720,1080), but at least now many manufactures are making 1920x1080 panels and projectors instead of some weird number

ronnie 1.8 said:
Clint, I'm studying your review along w/ the Denon user manual. You write, "...as well as whether you want to run progressive scan from the component outputs (and you can do so in parallel with HDMI!)"

while the manual reads on page 20, "When outputting video signals from the HDMI terminal, the video signals output from the component video terminals are interlaced."

Not sure which is correct, but wanted to bring this to your attention.
You can't - I actually got this wrong and thought I had correct it in the review before publishing - thanks.

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
Wait, I'm confusing myself! (easy to do sometimes)! The 720p ouptut was via HDMI. Via component, it's of course 480p (but the HDMI circuitry must be turned off through the 3930's front panel to output 480p via component), which is the same as the DVD2910. So it's apples to apples. I had another email conversation last night w/ the tech who's doing my recal, and we're both believing that using the picture settings on the DVD3930 will get me the expected PQ. The only other variable is the 3930 is damaged, but I don't think so. Cheers.

spectre27

Audiophyte
I've been setting up and toying with my new 3930, and have found (much to my dismay) that the PQ is better when I let my display (pioneer 1130HD) do all the scaling (480p through HDMI vs. 1080i) -as i had only a crappy DVD player before I have nothing to compare it to.. so did i need to get a $1750 (cdn) player for upconverting? is the non-scaled video output still using the realta chip and providing better than average PQ?? (it does look good!)
any comments anyone? Clint?

(keeping in mind i still did want an excellent audio source ;-)

ronnie 1.8

Audioholic
spectre27 said:
I've been setting up and toying with my new 3930, and have found (much to my dismay) that the PQ is better when I let my display (pioneer 1130HD) do all the scaling (480p through HDMI vs. 1080i) -as i had only a crappy DVD player before I have nothing to compare it to.. so did i need to get a $1750 (cdn) player for upconverting? is the non-scaled video output still using the realta chip and providing better than average PQ?? (it does look good!)
any comments anyone? Clint?

(keeping in mind i still did want an excellent audio source ;-)
Did you try 720p out via HDMI? Re: your question if non-scaled video output is still using the Realta chip, I haven't confirmed, but would believe the Realta processing is taking place via any output, whether HDMI or component, at any resolution. Just scanned Clint's review, and it doesn't support my belief, but I'll stick with it.

Last edited:

spectre27

Audiophyte
I tried all the resolutions (my panel won't take 1080p) and it seems that the 480i is the sharpest (480p same). I did read prior to purchasing the TV that one of it's best features was it's ability to take standard rez input and produce a great picture out of it.. but i'm not clear yet as to wether using the upscaling of the player would result in a better overall picture, apart from the apparent sharpness (thinking of processing speed; 'flagwaving', color, depth etc.) maybe i should have it professionally calibrated... so i can rest assured

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis