Denon AVR-X5200W and AVR-X4100W AV Receiver Preview

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was reading something a while back related to HDCP 2.2 copy protection for movie content for 4k and that most TVs and AVRs today will not support it, does that mean if they do every come out with 4k Players that use HDCP 2.2 it will not display at all?
It means it will not display it over HDMI at 4K to a non HDCP 2.2 device.
Although, HDMI HDCP 2.2 clearly will not stop piracy so one might conclude it is required to force equipment churn ;)

Regardless, it would folly to completely disable the video, down-scaling to 1080p would be friendlier approach, but who knows.
I certainly would not buy a 4K display that was not HDCP 2.2 compliant.

- Rich

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I tell you, this is frustrating as hell, none of these manufactures do squat to educate the consumer. Looks like I am going to sell my Sony VPL-VW600ES Projector, even at 7500, which is an great price, I don't want a projector that is not 2.2 complaint. I don't want to be screwed when 4k starts to become the standard. I don't think I will have a problem returning it or selling it for a profit and I am glad I never opened the box

Looks like I may hold off 4k until the industry knows what the hell they are doing :( Or I can gamble with Emotiva XMC-1, at least you can upgrade that unit.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
So this seems like a spectacularly good year to avoid buying an AV Receiver to me! In a year's time, we'll almost certainly see AV Receivers offering full 18 Gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports WITH HDCP 2.2 support.
Can you please tell me in plain English what that means to the consumer?
Compared to my X4000, what improvement would I notice with the above?
Would today's blurays take advantage of the improvements?
Would my 3 year old Samsung 55" LED 1080p use the improvements?

Would one have to upgrade their TV & media, and possibly BDP, to take advantage of full 18 Gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports WITH HDCP 2.2 support?

When you're ready to buy, for whatever reason, I understand getting the latest capability w/ an eye toward longevity. But if I was in the market for an AVR today, are the above significant enough to justify waiting for?

RichB

RichB

Can you please tell me in plain English what that means to the consumer?
Compared to my X4000, what improvement would I notice with the above?
Would today's blurays take advantage of the improvements?
Would my 3 year old Samsung 55" LED 1080p use the improvements?

Would one have to upgrade their TV & media, and possibly BDP, to take advantage of full 18 Gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.0 ports WITH HDCP 2.2 support?

When you're ready to buy, for whatever reason, I understand getting the latest capability w/ an eye toward longevity. But if I was in the market for an AVR today, are the above significant enough to justify waiting for?
The consensus is that 4K DB and 4K streaming devices will require HDCP 2.2 over HDMI.
The additional bandwidth and color depth are possible with the new formats.

If you do not have a 4K TV or wish to prepare for one, then there is no advantage at all.

- Rich

N

nickboros

Audioholic
I tell you, this is frustrating as hell, none of these manufactures do squat to educate the consumer. Looks like I am going to sell my Sony VPL-VW600ES Projector, even at 7500, which is an great price, I don't want a projector that is not 2.2 complaint. I don't want to be screwed when 4k starts to become the standard. I don't think I will have a problem returning it or selling it for a profit and I am glad I never opened the box

Looks like I may hold off 4k until the industry knows what the hell they are doing :( Or I can gamble with Emotiva XMC-1, at least you can upgrade that unit.
More and more us consumers are ending up with beta products. It is absolutely ridiculous that we have had as many generations of 4k sets and the standards are not even yet set. Early adopters may get screwed a couple of years down the road with HDCP. I guess we already saw this with the first HDTVs doing video only over component video connections and then several years down then road there is not longer support for getting HD over those analog cables. But the industry does not care.

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
More and more us consumers are ending up with beta products. It is absolutely ridiculous that we have had as many generations of 4k sets and the standards are not even yet set. Early adopters may get screwed a couple of years down the road with HDCP. I guess we already saw this with the first HDTVs doing video only over component video connections and then several years down then road there is not longer support for getting HD over those analog cables. But the industry does not care.
Many generations of 4k sets, but almost zero 4k content. Unless your using front projection with a screen over 82" it's irrelevant.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm waiting for an Atmos TV that fires drivers all around the bezel to replace my discrete 7.1 system in my theater room :)

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Independently EQing each sub is usually the WRONG approach. You get far better and more predictable results if you:
1. properly locate each sub in the room as best as possible
2. properly set level and delay of each sub independently
3. choose the right crossover point (80Hz is a great starting point and works in MOST installs)
4. Apply Global EQ to ALL subs simultaneously

I tested Pioneer's Room EQ a couple of years ago and it was very limited at what it could do at low frequencies. Hopefully they will continue to improve it.
Hence my comment about seperately EQing the subs. Using an outboard PEQ has served me much better than any auto eq. I sure that some prefer other options but I'd like to have more control over my lfe. I've gone thru many white papers and if a eq procedure is followed, it works very well. From Geddes to Harmon's there is a method to it.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The AVR-X5200W has 24 Bit DACs instead of 32 Bit DACs!

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
The AVR-X5200W has 24 Bit DACs instead of 32 Bit DACs!
True! The 32 bit architecture is reserved for the big daddy AVR-X7200W. See post 5 for what the X7200W will have and a link to a handy line-step chart.

You're sweet with the 4520CI though. ;)

RichB

RichB

From the article:

Yes I see trouble ahead," he confided to me. One complication is backwards compatibility, he says. "An HDCP 2.2 device would not work in the mix with any (currently available) HDCP 2.1 (and below) TV or sources. Everything has to be 2.2."
This would be a level of stupidity that even the HDCP is above.
AVRs would have to have dedicated HDCP2.2 ports and other.
How is this possible?

- Rich

N

nikoli

Audiophyte
I love the features of the x4100w ... only problem (for me) is that I prefer a silver option. Near as I can tell Denon only offers this in black. Does anyone know of a similarly spec'd receiver that has a silver option?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis