Denon AVR-x3700H issues

G

go4sur

Enthusiast
Sure will try. I tried Stereo mode in both receivers earlier with native processing without any special parameter settings. Pure Direct seems okay but not getting enough bass thump without Sub. (I maybe expecting too much out of my RP-8000F)

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
How to turn off the AMPS not in use in the receiver ?.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How to turn off the AMPS not in use in the receiver ?.
You have two options:

1) Disconnect the front left and right channels using the amp assign setting.
2) Use the pre-amp mode to disconnect all channels internal amplifiers.

So it is either the FL and FR, or all, nothing in between. If you want to disconnect only the channels you don't use, the only choice would be the AVR-X8500H, or the $5,499 AVC-A110 and AVR-A110.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
Sure will try. I tried Stereo mode in both receivers earlier with native processing without any special parameter settings. Pure Direct seems okay but not getting enough bass thump without Sub. (I maybe expecting too much out of my RP-8000F)
Adding to the OP here, I just grabbed a great deal on this receiver here in Canada on Amazon. It pops up now and then for about $500 LESS than the 3600. Doesn't say refurb, or return or anything, says its from the Denon Store, and SEEMS new, but I'm wondering if it's in fact b-stock return. I wonder this because this price is too good, and it only pops up here n there, then is gone for a while...almost as if they need to get a couple of returns that they'll check over real quick, and send them back on the shelf if they're happy enough with them. If they were returned units that they FELT were good enough to call 'new' but were still returns, they'd have no problem with that price...I THINK...just my idea.

I'm having the SAME issue with HDMI connections. From my receiver rack to my projector I have a pretty good 25 ft HDMI cable that I got from Blue Jeans, HOWEVER it IS about 10 yrs old or more. When I first hooked it up to my sources (PC, BluRay, Bell TV with fibre optic connection, Amazon 4k Firecube) the only things that would NOT show up were the 4k sources (PC and Firecube). The 1080p signals from the Bell TV and BluRay were fine. Then I borrowed a 4k UHD tv and hooked IT up with a 4 ft 4k rated HDMI cable from the Monitor 1 output and the PC hooked up without issue, but the FireCube kept trying to go full HDR and had unacceptable connection...would blink in for a second before blinking back out to "is your source on". Changed inputs on the back to the same result. My conclusion here is that I think it's the HDMI OUTPUT on this receiver that's not fantastic. It's RATED for 8k, but has a hard time sending out a strong 4k UHD signal, even from just 4 feet.

I'm reluctant to send this back because A) it's like a lottery-win to get this at this price ($1200 Cdn, about $896 US) and B) I'm wondering if my suspicion of it being a return is accurate, and will I just get another return?

I ordered a simple cheap HDMI booster for $20 and am getting it today...we'll see if that fixes everything. If not, this unit will have to go back.

Curious if OP had any luck with the Monoprice cable he ordered?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Adding to the OP here, I just grabbed a great deal on this receiver here in Canada on Amazon. It pops up now and then for about $500 LESS than the 3600. Doesn't say refurb, or return or anything, says its from the Denon Store, and SEEMS new, but I'm wondering if it's in fact b-stock return. I wonder this because this price is too good, and it only pops up here n there, then is gone for a while...almost as if they need to get a couple of returns that they'll check over real quick, and send them back on the shelf if they're happy enough with them. If they were returned units that they FELT were good enough to call 'new' but were still returns, they'd have no problem with that price...I THINK...just my idea.

I'm having the SAME issue with HDMI connections. From my receiver rack to my projector I have a pretty good 25 ft HDMI cable that I got from Blue Jeans, HOWEVER it IS about 10 yrs old or more. When I first hooked it up to my sources (PC, BluRay, Bell TV with fibre optic connection, Amazon 4k Firecube) the only things that would NOT show up were the 4k sources (PC and Firecube). The 1080p signals from the Bell TV and BluRay were fine. Then I borrowed a 4k UHD tv and hooked IT up with a 4 ft 4k rated HDMI cable from the Monitor 1 output and the PC hooked up without issue, but the FireCube kept trying to go full HDR and had unacceptable connection...would blink in for a second before blinking back out to "is your source on". Changed inputs on the back to the same result. My conclusion here is that I think it's the HDMI OUTPUT on this receiver that's not fantastic. It's RATED for 8k, but has a hard time sending out a strong 4k UHD signal, even from just 4 feet.

I'm reluctant to send this back because A) it's like a lottery-win to get this at this price ($1200 Cdn, about $896 US) and B) I'm wondering if my suspicion of it being a return is accurate, and will I just get another return?

I ordered a simple cheap HDMI booster for $20 and am getting it today...we'll see if that fixes everything. If not, this unit will have to go back.

For 25' for 4K and up you need an active HDMI cable. Optical copper hybrid are definitely the cables of choice. Ruipro is what I use, and those cables have an excellent reputation. I also use a Legrand voltage inserter so as not to stress the HDMI port powering it.
Basically traditional HDMI cables can only be considered reliable up to 10 to 12 feet for 4K and 8K applications.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
For 25' for 4K and up you need an active HDMI cable. Optical copper hybrid are definitely the cables of choice. Ruipro is what I use, and those cables have an excellent reputation. I also use a Legrand voltage inserter so as not to stress the HDMI port powering it.
Basically traditional HDMI cables can only be considered reliable up to 10 to 12 feet for 4K and 8K applications.
I WAS leaning that way too, until I tried the 4 footer and it had problems too. Any ideas there?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I WAS leaning that way too, until I tried the 4 footer and it had problems too. Any ideas there?
I see that receiver has 4K and 8K pass though. Sound united are using the dreaded Panasonic HDMI chip set that has a flaw affecting pretty much anything 8K rated.

So if you had a good deal just assume you bought a 2K receiver. As I understand it as far as receivers go all Yamaha, and Denon/Marantz receivers coming to market now have this problem and a lot of other devices also. Personally I find no difference between 2 and 4K on my rig. In which case going 8K has no point at all. I should state my screen is an LG C class 77" OLED. If 2 K looks the same as 4K on that then 4K and above is nonsense.

Making 2K the standard again I think would be just fine. 4 and 8k is something the industry are trying to convince people is a big upgrade, when in reality it is probably a technical nonsense and a huge downgrade. My last years 4K pre/pro would not make a connection with my Oppo player so I had to buy a 4K Sony.

LtDanNewLegs

LtDanNewLegs

Junior Audioholic
For anyone following, think I got it. I got my HDMI booster and at the SAME time found the EDID setting in the Epson menus, turned it off...1 of em, or the combo of both, has it working well. Just watched a full 4k 7.1 movie from HTPC over the whole thing. Sounded and looked GREAT.

G

go4sur

Enthusiast

Hi ,

I haven’t had any issues with connecting 4K sources, it was perfect, I had problems when switching inputs, when I switched my display use to go off, I have to switch inputs to see on screen.
I have returned mine and got new one, this one is better, mostly fine, I see this issue once a while, so, not a problem at this time.
Pop noise from speakers continued irrespective of source, maybe significant with Apple TV and XFINITY Xi6 box! Since our friends suggested that this little pop happens with Apple TV I got use to it now. (It was not loud- just a simple pop)

hope this helps.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
That's a negative - Sony doesn't even make a pre-pro. They only make AVRS, very bad 4 letters. :D
Don't knock Sony AVRs. I have one and it sounds fantastic and has given me zero issues. They also measure pretty well over at the ASR forums.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: Please excuse me for my English and spelling mistakes.
Very few will tell you this, always switch to L/R Bypass for music. This is for a better mid/mid-bass response. I've had the same issues on my Denon X2300W.

Also, did you try the multieq app? You can try calibrating the Denon X3700H with the Multieq app & selecting the Audyssey curve 2 if you want reduced highs or 1 for normal. Some people say you need to limit the eq to 500hz or 300 Hz for Schroeder frequency which is faced in a room. Also, look for Mid-range compensation.

If nothing works, then I'm sorry Denon is not for you. You might as well just return it & get a Yamaha.
There is a reason why Yamaha labels its AVR "Natural Sound AV receiver", i.e it will always sound true to its source.

Really no bass :oops:? On my Yamaha I get a hell load of bass dropped that it shakes my couch, once I keep the volume at 60 using Pure Direct. I'm using Elac B6.2s btw, which goes down to 44 Hz.

EDIT: Listen to "Holiday" by Lil Nas X in pure direct, if you still can't hear enough bass something's wrong with your Denon.

Last edited:
S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Don't knock Sony AVRs. I have one and it sounds fantastic and has given me zero issues. They also measure pretty well over at the ASR forums.
True, I would've picked up the Sony over Denon any day if my budget was limited to the entry-level models.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was just an inside joke on TLS Guy - many of us know he hates AVRs in general.

That’s why I said “Sony doesn’t make a PRE-PRO”.

V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
Make all the jokes you want about Sony, but compared to Denon, the quality control is a 99 and the Denon is a 15. I swapped out my Sony for a Denon AVR X3700H for a more premium experience with high end speakers, cables and projector. So what did i end up with.. nothing but problems... how do you fix it? dont use that option, turn this off, turn that off, un plug everything, power it down... reset it.. etc. etc. Yeah it finally worked, but connecting to both a TV and a Projector at the same time is nothing but trouble.. This piece of crap is the worst investment i have ever made with audio equipment. Denon support is non existent, denon sales would rather eat lunch then sell things. Anyone here want a brand new 3 month old Denon? Still under warranty.. give me your best price.. i have all the receipts and bought it from an authorized reseller. I have wasted countless hours.. can someone please recommend a 9.2 4K receiver that will input Directv and Applet TV, and will send video out to my 4K TV and 4K LG Laser projector without me having to go into settings just to watch something, i will buy it, just dont tell me its a Denon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Make all the jokes you want about Sony, but compared to Denon, the quality control is a 99 and the Denon is a 15. I swapped out my Sony for a Denon AVR X3700H for a more premium experience with high end speakers, cables and projector. So what did i end up with.. nothing but problems... how do you fix it? dont use that option, turn this off, turn that off, un plug everything, power it down... reset it.. etc. etc. Yeah it finally worked, but connecting to both a TV and a Projector at the same time is nothing but trouble.. This piece of crap is the worst investment i have ever made with audio equipment. Denon support is non existent, denon sales would rather eat lunch then sell things. Anyone here want a brand new 3 month old Denon? Still under warranty.. give me your best price.. i have all the receipts and bought it from an authorized reseller. I have wasted countless hours.. can someone please recommend a 9.2 4K receiver that will input Directv and Applet TV, and will send video out to my 4K TV and 4K LG Laser projector without me having to go into settings just to watch something, i will buy it, just dont tell me its a Denon.
The recommendations are usually Yamaha (Y) or Denon/Marantz (DM).

I switched from many years of the DM club to the Y club. :D

However, you might have a difficult time finding a Yamaha AVR these days due to backorder.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm not sure you will be better of with anything else, and worse with a lot.

The fact is these AV receivers and pre/pros, all need far too much set up, that is often not very intuitive. Nothing is plug and paly anymore, nothing. That is a good deal of the attraction of vintage gear.

Having said that, if you do do your initial set up properly and carefully, you should be good to go, unless you have made mistakes, which are easy to make. The industry really does need to work on fool proof auto set ups. A lot of this actually relates to HDMI and their increasingly outrageous requirements and snake pits for the unwary and unskilled.

I would give one caveat though. The Ethernet infra structure of your house has a lot of potential to make your life easy or miserable. I have a feeling the infrastructure in many dwellings is no longer up to the job. Hard wire is way better than Wi-Fi connections. Poor Internet connections during set can cause long term issues, including turning you new receiver into a boat anchor.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Onkyo Tx-RZ50 you still might still run into issues ala Denon. Just take your time setting up the receiver and read the manual or read the onscreen instr.

Last edited:
V

vfz

Audioholic Intern
The recommendations are usually Yamaha (Y) or Denon/Marantz (DM).

I switched from many years of the DM club to the Y club. :D

However, you might have a difficult time finding a Yamaha AVR these days due to backorder.
Understood.. the Sony was plug and play, never had any issues and the user interface was good.. my wife could turn it on select what’s she wanted from a picture and go...you would think the denon’s, yamahas would move to the 21st century. I still have to remember the CD or Aux or whatever is Xbox vs appletv. My system is in a cabinet so a nice user interface on power on you would think would be #1... but no, let’s make it ridiculous. I wish LG, Samsung, or Apple made high end receivers.. I don’t mind complicated, I am a techie, but family is not.. you would think someone at these companies would think about it.. it’s why so many people are buying sound bars.. I predict denon, marantz will be out of business if they don’t start thinking about the consumer.. there are very few people nowadays that care about half the menu options but many people want high end sound and are willing to pay for it.. why isnt there something in the middle such as high end sound but more user friendly.. keep all the options, but explain them while you use them.. power on, show pictures of all your plug in devices.. I’d bet PS4, Xbox, appletv, make up 90% of the inputs.. so why do I still have a CD, AUX, buttons on an archaic remote... I can go on and on, it’s like they are in a time warp.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to write post here, I have been reading stuff here though. I have purchased Denon AVR-X3700H and it has been delivered on July 8th. I bought Klipsch RP-8000F and RP-504C to replace Paradigm Monitor V9 floor standing and CC-370 center. I am still using Paradigm Surround 3 for surrounds , Sonance in wall for atmos rear height speakers.

my observation so far is, Denon movie experience is way better than my previous Yamaha RX-A1020 but for music(stereo), I feel Yamaha is better.

I have observed few issues with this AVR and would like to get a confirmation from you that it is a defective piece so that I can return/replace it. No issues with sound as such but with video. l I have Apple TV 4K that I primarily use for streaming. First of all, sometimes when coming out of Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime shows/movies that there's little pop noise coming from my left surround later did extensive test and found that this pop noise is coming from my center , front left also, so, it is not speaker issue. (since my front stage is new I thought it maybe a speaker issue initially). Second, sometimes when I turn on receiver it is unable to send video signal from source to TV (I experienced this with my Apple TV, Xfinity xi6 box and blu ray player) meaning TV shows pop up saying "please connect to a source". When I switch inputs using Denon remote, then it is able to send video to TV. I know there will be lag when we switch inputs and screen can be blank but this is different, video completely not sent from AVR I think. And once or twice, while watching The Morning Show episode in Apple TV+, I pressed menu (to go back from show), TV screen turned blank and after few seconds TV said "please connect to a source". I am disappointed with my purchase.

I have called Denon support and tech support guy said there's some issue with the device/piece and asked me to return it. Anyone experienced this type of issue with Denon (I dont think so)...felt very bad to switch to Denon (primary reason is to upgrade to Atmos/DTSX AVR that is future proof (8K) ), I never had a single issue with my Yamaha.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: Please excuse me for my English and spelling mistakes.
Did you try Pure Direct with music ?..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis