Denon AVR-S750H Decoding/Upmixing 2 Channel Stereo to Dolby Surround

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Here is an interesting read about Dolby and different streamers and their ability to stream Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. There are a few errors and there are updates that will change things here and there but it is useful information.

M

Mikeymelons

Audiophyte
Here is an interesting read about Dolby and different streamers and their ability to stream Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. There are a few errors and there are updates that will change things here and there but it is useful information.
One more quick question! Do different AVRs treat incoming 2 channel Dolby signals differently. For example, I now know that the S760H will upmix 2 channel Dolby signals when in AUTO mode. Do all other Denon receivers do this as well? What about other brands using their equivalent to "AUTO" mode?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
DTS Neo 6 is an actual sound mode. Samsung's DTS Neo 2:5 converted Dolby 2.0/5.1 and PCM 2.0 signals to DTS 5.1 audio and a receiver/processor would see the audio as a DTS 5.1 track. The Denon AVR-S760H has some limitations for applicable sound modes based on the signal input. Those limitations were a few of the reasons I returned mine.
Forgot to mention that Dolby digital Plus7.1/atmos tracks can also be converted to DTS 5.1 using DTS Neo 2:5 on some older Samsung TVs. Surprisingly, Dolby Atmos metadata can be had over optical using the Amazon Prime app on some older Samsung TVs.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
One more quick question! Do different AVRs treat incoming 2 channel Dolby signals differently. For example, I now know that the S760H will upmix 2 channel Dolby signals when in AUTO mode. Do all other Denon receivers do this as well? What about other brands using their equivalent to "AUTO" mode?
Good question and I haven't checked every manual out there but it is an issue with many. Denon's manuals are not for the faint of heart. It can be difficult to comprehend the sound modes that can be applied to different audio formats.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As for other brands, they differ. Onkyo modes are very similar to Denon and they also use MOVIE and MUSIC buttons and also have a GAME button. While Denon has a PURE button for DIRECT or AUTO modes, Onkyo does not and one has to tap the other buttons repeatedly to get to PURE DIRECT or DIRECT mode. Yamaha has a STRAIGHT mode. While in STRAIGHT mode, no additional processing is applied BUT bass management and YPAO are still active. So, while in straight mode, a DD 2.0 track will output to the two front speakers AND one will also get a signal to the subwoofer. Yamaha also has a PURE DIRECT mode for those that just want a full band signal to the Front speakers when playing two channel tracks and all processing and the signal to the subwoofer are turned off. Yamaha includes a STRAIGHT button on their remote controls. Yamaha also has an Auto mode but this will result in the same behavior as Denon's Auto mode and the Dolby Surround up mixer will kick in on two channel tracks. Everybody has their preferred brands and modes. Just stay clear of ALL CHANNEL STEREO.;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Forgot to mention that Dolby digital Plus7.1/atmos tracks can also be converted to DTS 5.1 using DTS Neo 2:5 on some older Samsung TVs. Surprisingly, Dolby Atmos metadata can be had over optical using the Amazon Prime app on some older Samsung TVs.
I never could get the sound right with my Samsung KS8000 using optical. That unplanned TV purchase is what started all my upgrades from 2017 to 2020. Not looking forward to ever moving beyond HDMI2.0. I just have to stop drooling over those new LG 77in OLEDs at Costco…. LOL. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Samsung TVs of a few years ago do not change audio output automatically with a changing signal. So, if set to Dolby Digital for output, one would need to go into the settings again to enable Dolby Digital+ output for Atmos signals. I tired of having to manually change output for changing signals and just turned on DTS Neo 2:5 so EVERYTHING was sent out as DTS 5.1. I use the Apple TV 4K for most streaming services but use the TV sometimes for apps unavailable on the Apple TV 4K.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I just have to stop drooling over those new LG 77in OLEDs at Costco…. LOL. :)
Yeah, it's almost cruel putting those things out there where addicts like us are exposed to them constantly.

Oh, the humanity!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I still want Costco’s A80CJ. If the damn thing would fit in my car, I would have gotten it the last time I was at Costco. Yeah, I can have it delivered, but I prefer impulse buys that fit in my ride. I also like saving money and my Samsung won’t die.:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That Nakamichi link @Trebdp83 linked had a nice chart. I was wondering why I could only get Atmos from HBO Max on my Apple TV 4K and not my 2019 Firecube. :)

D

D00d

Audiophyte
Same issue here with a Denon s760h and an LG C2 TV. What’s interesting is that Pandora plays in stereo just fine, and so does Plex, but only on music files. Play a stereo video in Plex, and the receiver in auto mode shows DDSur with sound coming out of the center channel in Pure Direct mode. Spotify doesn’t do stereo and does DDSur. So it seems like Plex and Pandora have figured out how to play music in stereo over earc on the LG. For now I’ve resorted to having Home Assistant automatically switch the TV output mode to PCM when Spotify is running.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis