Denon AVR-3312CI 7.2 Channel Integrated Network A/V Receiver First Look

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We're always excited to check out new receivers and the Denon AVR-3312CI is no different. There is a lot of muscle under the hood and tons of options. Including Audyssey MultEQ Pro in such and affordable product is quite nice as is out of the box support for Apple's AirPlay, Windows 7 compatibility, and DNLA support. Of course all the HDMI inputs (7) and outputs (2) are HDMI version 1.4 which means 3D and Audio Return Channel are available and supported. Whether you are a newbie looking for a nice receiver that you can grow into, a power user who likes the latest features with the ability to tweak, or an installer looking for a receiver for a budget install, the Denon AVR-3312CI has something for you.

Discuss "Denon AVR-3312CI 7.2 Channel Integrated Network A/V Receiver First Look" here. Read the article.

S

Steelheart1948

Enthusiast
I wonder how the Denon compares to the Yamaha RX-A1000:confused:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder what the heck is going on at D&M these days. They keep making mistakes in their published features and specs. They say the 3312 weighs 22 lbs but if you look at the spec sheets even the 2312 weighs 24 lbs and power consumption of 460W. If you click on the 3312 spec sheet you get the the specs for the 2212 and it weights 22 lbs. If you look at the 3112 owner's manual then you get a respectable power consumption (not maximum) of 670W and nothing about the weight.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
First off, the article is incorrect because none of the documentation says anything about MultEq Pro. It has the XT version.

If you look at the 3112 owner's manual then you get a respectable power consumption (not maximum) of 670W and nothing about the weight.
Actually, on page 153 (using the actual page numbers), it gives you dimensions and states that the weight is 26 lbs.

I am concerned that they have been gutting the amplifiers in those midlevel receivers. The MSRP price has gone from $1499 in the 3310, to $1199 in the 3311, to $999 in this newest model. Weight has gone down as well (looking at the owners manual) from 28lbs 7oz in the 10, 26lbs 14oz in the '11 to 26lbs even in this upcoming model. Power consumption is down too: 840 (7A) in 3310 and now it says 670w, like it did last year.

It's all just leads me to think that these models are more and more watered down compared to prior years. They certainly aren't cutting $500 out of the price because the people at D&M are nice guys and want to give us a break. Although, this year I wonder if they are doing it in exchange for firmer retailer prices - weren't the 3311's selling for about 1K at most online retailers? At any rate, I'm not impressed by this next gen model - stuffing as many networking features as possible doesn't do it for me, especially when the Denon network cards have as many problem as they do (see, AVR-4310CI).

This just validates my opinion of just making sure whatever receiver I purchase has preouts and not worrying about the junk they are putting in there. :mad::rolleyes:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, on page 153 (using the actual page numbers), it gives you dimensions and states that the weight is 26 lbs.
Thanks, I thought they typically put the weight in the specs page, along with the power consumption etc.

Power consumption is down too: 840 (7A) in 3310 and now it says 670w, like it did last year.
7A at 120V = 840VA, not 840W, at rated load the power factor could well be around 0.8 and in that case, 840VA is about the same as 670W so power consumption remains about the same from 3310 to 3312.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
First off, the article is incorrect because none of the documentation says anything about MultEq Pro. It has the XT version.

I am concerned that they have been gutting the amplifiers in those midlevel receivers. The MSRP price has gone from $1499 in the 3310, to $1199 in the 3311, to $999 in this newest model. Weight has gone down as well (looking at the owners manual) from 28lbs 7oz in the 10, 26lbs 14oz in the '11 to 26lbs even in this upcoming model. Power consumption is down too: 840 (7A) in 3310 and now it says 670w, like it did last year.

It's all just leads me to think that these models are more and more watered down compared to prior years. They certainly aren't cutting $500 out of the price because the people at D&M are nice guys and want to give us a break. Although, this year I wonder if they are doing it in exchange for firmer retailer prices - weren't the 3311's selling for about 1K at most online retailers? At any rate, I'm not impressed by this next gen model - stuffing as many networking features as possible doesn't do it for me, especially when the Denon network cards have as many problem as they do (see, AVR-4310CI).

This just validates my opinion of just making sure whatever receiver I purchase has preouts and not worrying about the junk they are putting in there. :mad::rolleyes:

That hurt Yamaha as well when they put out those dreadfully anemic 1065, 2065 series receivers.

I wish these companies would get back to basics, less fluff features such as ipod docks :rolleyes: height and width channels, ridiculous amount of HDMI inputs, 3D and overly advanced video processing and concentrate on power supplies and amplifier circuits.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
That hurt Yamaha as well when they put out those dreadfully anemic 1065, 2065 series receivers.

I wish these companies would get back to basics, less fluff features such as ipod docks :rolleyes: height and width channels, ridiculous amount of HDMI inputs, 3D and overly advanced video processing and concentrate on power supplies and amplifier circuits.
If you read the specs for the 3312, it indicates dual power supplies, which I would have to see as a good thing.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you read the specs for the 3312, it indicates dual power supplies, which I would have to see as a good thing.
That is indeed a good thing. What accounts for the weight loss?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't say for sure without seeing a photo of the inards but if it is anything like the 4311, they might have managed to lose a pound or more but putting in less heat sinks and a thinner gauge enclosure. The 4311, 4 lbs lighter than my 4308, offers more power output but has two fans in it while the 4308 has 0 fan but much beefier heat sinks.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
They're removing features that, according to the surveys they have been taking of integrators and users, aren't being used but I don't know exactly why it's lighter. If they're using forced air cooling, that would definitely account for a good chunk of weight reduction and reduced weight means less costly to ship.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't say for sure without seeing a photo of the inards but if it is anything like the 4311, they might have managed to lose a pound or more but putting in less heat sinks and a thinner gauge enclosure. The 4311, 4 lbs lighter than my 4308, offers more power output but has two fans in it while the 4308 has 0 fan but much beefier heat sinks.
Forced air colling is a viable option as long as the fan noise isn't obtrusive. I can see how that would definately shed a pound or two of the mid section.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
AVR-3312CI Weight Loss

Knowing the 3312CI vs. the 3311CI has lost 4.4 Pounds in Net Weight I would agree with Peng, that the enclosure, and heat sinking has to be where the majority of this weight has been lost since it is still 125W RMS per Channel, and unless they made the Xformer smaller and overdriving it more for short periods of time of which I doubt they did. Even the 3311CI runs very warm, but knowing Denon they extensively tested the 3312CI regarding Thermals as well, if they did take some of the mass out of the Heat Sinking section.

Product looks great in picture, and adding Audyssey MultEQ PRO is a real PLUS, along with lowering the price tag.

A

adumadu

Audiophyte
Knowing the 3312CI vs. the 3311CI has lost 4.4 Pounds in Net Weight I would agree with Peng, that the enclosure, and heat sinking has to be where the majority of this weight has been lost since it is still 125W RMS per Channel, and unless they made the Xformer smaller and overdriving it more for short periods of time of which I doubt they did. Even the 3311CI runs very warm, but knowing Denon they extensively tested the 3312CI regarding Thermals as well, if they did take some of the mass out of the Heat Sinking section.

Product looks great in picture, and adding Audyssey MultEQ PRO is a real PLUS, along with lowering the price tag.
AVR 3312 weighs almost same as 3311 probably it weigh little less due to receiver shape change to slightly convex front plate rather than the industrial flat one.

Denon misplaced the specs in their web site.

Actually they reversed the detailed specification tab between AVR 2112 and 3312. AVR 2112 weighs 22.5 pounds and not AVR 3312.

Second issue is when you download the .pdf specs actually they reversed it between AVR 3312 and AVR 2312.

This is not their first time bug. I've noticed this bug ever since they redesigned their web for 100 years celebration.
Their web developers and testers probably did not even unit test their site before the launch. What a shame? May be denon should give me AVR 3312 as credit for finding their web site issue or even hire me as their boss for managing their web site

It weighs solid Weight 26 lbs, 11.8 kg for a mid level receiver.

3310 weighs 28.6 pounds
3311 weighs 26.9 pounds
3312 weighs 26 pounds

I cannot post the link to AVR 3312 .pdf specs as it's my first post. Simply go to denon web site. Try downloading any other specs but replace the last part with this name Incomand_AVR3312CI_r11.pdf

What a timing...Denon fixed their web links as of typing this post but still the tech specs tab shows the wrong stuff

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
:D
AVR 3312 weighs almost same as 3311 probably it weigh little less due to receiver shape change to slightly convex front plate rather than the industrial flat one.

Actually they reversed the detailed specification tab between AVR 2112 and 3312. AVR 2112 weighs 22.5 pounds and not AVR 3312.

Second issue is when you download the .pdf specs actually they reversed it between AVR 3312 and AVR 2312.

This is not their first time bug. I've noticed this bug ever since they redesigned their web for 100 years celebration.
Their web developers and testers probably did not even unit test their site before the launch. What a shame? May be denon should give me AVR 3312 as credit for finding their web site issue or even hire me as their boss for managing their web site

3310 weighs 28.6 pounds
3311 weighs 26.9 pounds
3312 weighs 26 pounds

I cannot post the link to AVR 3312 .pdf specs as it's my first post. Simply go to denon web site. Try downloading any other specs but replace the last part with this name Incomand_AVR3312CI_r11.pdf

What a timing...Denon fixed their web links as of typing this post but still the tech specs tab shows the wrong stuff
Good job on your first post but for the most part you basically repeated what I said in post#3 LOL:D Welcome!

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
AVR-3312CI Power Rating

Now let's see really what this Denon AVR-3312CI can produce in power output with all Seven (7) channels driven continuously at once (ACD). I know for a fact that it will Not Be Able to produce 125 Watts RMS / Channel Continuously with All Channels (7) driven into 8 Ω for the HT experience.

Guess we will have to wait for the Real Deal Bench Test.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic

3310 weighs 28.6 pounds
3311 weighs 26.9 pounds
3312 weighs 26 pounds

Adumadu -- Thank you for Clearing this weight issue up on the 3312CI. ;)

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Shipping delay and dual HDMI operation

It's interesting that one online retailer removed the June 2 expected arrival date for this beauty and hasn't posted a new date. I wonder what's up with that?

Also, the ability to simultaneously drive two HDMI devices (like an AVR to Projector on HDMI 1 and a television on HDMI 2) is really interesting to me... especially assuming that they don't both work on the same "lowest common denominator" theory. (I want 7.1/1080p on the projector side while the TV can only do stereo and 1080i.) From what I've read so far, I think this would work, but I'm not totally certain.

I could do the same thing with Oppo's dual HDMI output Blu Ray player, but wouldn't then be able to split other sources like a satellite receiver.

It seems odd to me that this kind of feature is rare... but maybe not everybody has a theater room and an adjoining room with the wetbar and a monitor that needs to be in sync with the movie next door. ;)

TVJon

S

slerch666

Audioholic Intern
Doesn't seem to be all that different, really, from the 3311 which is what I own. I'm sticking to the 3311 then. Not that I had another $1000 to throw down on another receiver anyway.:eek:

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Shipping now

they're shipping now... not much of a wait. Haven't pulled the trigger... need to find and extra grand somewhere.

TVJon

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
It's interesting that one online retailer removed the June 2 expected arrival date for this beauty and hasn't posted a new date. I wonder what's up with that?

Also, the ability to simultaneously drive two HDMI devices (like an AVR to Projector on HDMI 1 and a television on HDMI 2) is really interesting to me... especially assuming that they don't both work on the same "lowest common denominator" theory. (I want 7.1/1080p on the projector side while the TV can only do stereo and 1080i.) From what I've read so far, I think this would work, but I'm not totally certain.

I could do the same thing with Oppo's dual HDMI output Blu Ray player, but wouldn't then be able to split other sources like a satellite receiver.

It seems odd to me that this kind of feature is rare... but maybe not everybody has a theater room and an adjoining room with the wetbar and a monitor that needs to be in sync with the movie next door. ;)

TVJon
TVJon -- take a Hard Long look at the Denon AVR-4311CI, I believe it can do it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis