Denon AVR-3312CI 7.2 Channel Integrated Network A/V Receiver First Look

L

lietuvis91

Junior Audioholic
I lusted after the 3311 but seeing the specs on the 3312 and the "relatively" decent price point, I might just have to sell some stuff to get it! I really want one of these. I would love to hear peoples first impressions of this thing, Someone PLEASE post a review of it!!! :D

T

TVJon

Audioholic
I lusted after the 3311 but seeing the specs on the 3312 and the "relatively" decent price point, I might just have to sell some stuff to get it! I really want one of these. I would love to hear peoples first impressions of this thing, Someone PLEASE post a review of it!!! :D
I'm especially interested in how the dual HDMI output works... whether they are truly independent or they're linked together with the "lowest-common-denominator" rules in place. I haven't seen a review yet.

TVJon

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Now let's see really what this Denon AVR-3312CI can produce in power output with all Seven (7) channels driven continuously at once (ACD). I know for a fact that it will Not Be Able to produce 125 Watts RMS / Channel Continuously with All Channels (7) driven into 8 Ω for the HT experience.

Guess we will have to wait for the Real Deal Bench Test.
Don't think so..
The 3312 is not Ultra THX certified, also the Operation Manual quotes power output as 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) or 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) No mention of how many channels are driven except (2)...:confused:

However on the higher end Denon AVRs (SRP > $999) they typically do very well in power output yield vs. the competition.

Just my $0.02... ;)

T

TVJon

Audioholic
New disappointing info about 3312... need confirmation

A user review at one of the online stores says the dual hdmi outputs won't deliver sound if you're using the receiver to deliver sound as well. This makes no sense in the most-common situation: You're running a projector, AVR and speakers in a theater room and want to send video and audio to a television in another room at the same time. Anyone try this and confirm? I will be really disappointed if it's true.

FWIW, the reviewer's comments were:

"Dual HDMI Monitor & 3D Problems
Written by JohnC, Tucson AZ, on Monday, June 20, 2011
There are three negative issues with this amp:

1. I bought this because it handles 3D and because it has dual HDMI monitor output ports. I needed dual HDMI ports because I have an extra TV in the kitchen that receives HDMI thru an in-ceiling HDMI cable that cost me a lot to install. I was very disappointed to learn that the Denon amp does not permit sound output simultaneously thru the HDMIs and the amp. Since I want amp sound in the living room, I can't have sound in the kitchen! To solve this problem I had to run speaker wire to the kitchen to an in-ceiling speaker!

2. The Denon amp DOES NOT permit 3D viewing on my 3D living room TV if both HDMI dual monitors are activated! When the dual HDMIs are activated, 3D viewing is impossible.

3. There are no instructions in the manual on how to connect a PC to the amp with an HDMI cable. You would assume that you could connect a PC to any of the six HDMI inputs. You can ONLY connect a PC to the GAME 1 and Game 2 HDMI inputs! If you try to connect a PC to the other HDMI inputs, the screen goes blank. Additionally, dual HDMI monitor output does not work well when a PC is attached to the Game inputs. The video signal gets corrupted.

To solve problems 2 and 3, I had to connect all my HDMI devices directly to my TV, bypassing the amp completely. I can only use one HDMI output for the kitchen which now receives upconverted component signals! What a mess!

Everything else works great. Has good sound."

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Now let's see really what this Denon AVR-3312CI can produce in power output with all Seven (7) channels driven continuously at once (ACD). I know for a fact that it will Not Be Able to produce 125 Watts RMS / Channel Continuously with All Channels (7) driven into 8 Ω for the HT experience.

Guess we will have to wait for the Real Deal Bench Test.
As another member mentioned, I wouldn't expect this to do 125W x 7 continuous... But I would think it will compare to what the 3311/991 was able to do..
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/content/test-report-denon-avr-991-av-receiver-1

I actually haven't seen test bench results of any receiver that can run all 7 channels simultaneously at the rated output... although many claim HK receivers can do so - but keep in mind that HK rates output accordingly, and much lower than other brands.

Some hold up better than others though, and generally Denon and Marantz keep their s%$t together much better in these tests when driving 5/7 channels as compared to Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer.

The recent Onkyo (x08) and Yamaha (x67) AVRs seem to measure well up to 5 channels, but really fall apart when trying to drive all 7. IMO, non-Elite Pioneer AVR's really aren't impressive at all on the test bench.

B

Boss Denny

Audiophyte
It's interesting that one online retailer removed the June 2 expected arrival date for this beauty and hasn't posted a new date. I wonder what's up with that?

Also, the ability to simultaneously drive two HDMI devices (like an AVR to Projector on HDMI 1 and a television on HDMI 2) is really interesting to me... especially assuming that they don't both work on the same "lowest common denominator" theory. (I want 7.1/1080p on the projector side while the TV can only do stereo and 1080i.) From what I've read so far, I think this would work, but I'm not totally certain.

TVJon
TVJon,
The "lowest common denominator" thing as you call it is an HDMI rule AFAIK, not a choice Denon made. Parallel HDMI always plays the highest common resolution to both devices.

-BD

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
First off, the article is incorrect because none of the documentation says anything about MultEq Pro. It has the XT version.

Actually, on page 153 (using the actual page numbers), it gives you dimensions and states that the weight is 26 lbs.

I am concerned that they have been gutting the amplifiers in those midlevel receivers. The MSRP price has gone from $1499 in the 3310, to $1199 in the 3311, to $999 in this newest model. Weight has gone down as well (looking at the owners manual) from 28lbs 7oz in the 10, 26lbs 14oz in the '11 to 26lbs even in this upcoming model. Power consumption is down too: 840 (7A) in 3310 and now it says 670w, like it did last year.

It's all just leads me to think that these models are more and more watered down compared to prior years. They certainly aren't cutting $500 out of the price because the people at D&M are nice guys and want to give us a break. Although, this year I wonder if they are doing it in exchange for firmer retailer prices - weren't the 3311's selling for about 1K at most online retailers? At any rate, I'm not impressed by this next gen model - stuffing as many networking features as possible doesn't do it for me, especially when the Denon network cards have as many problem as they do (see, AVR-4310CI).

This just validates my opinion of just making sure whatever receiver I purchase has preouts and not worrying about the junk they are putting in there. :mad::rolleyes:
It's all about starting at the top model and dropping features as you go down the line. All of their receivers have discreet amps, not chip amps and while they don't all put out the same power, they do sound neutral, not bright or dull. The removed some of the digital inputs and features that weren't used by most people or installers/integrators and they arrives at this by asking questions.

Best thing to do- start at the top and decide what features you're willing to give up.

BTW- I didn't see it mentioned but the CI models have last-input HDMI pass-through in standby mode by default but it can be programmed for the preferred source, so the TV can be used without the rest of the system.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm especially interested in how the dual HDMI output works... whether they are truly independent or they're linked together with the "lowest-common-denominator" rules in place. I haven't seen a review yet.

TVJon
I went to Denon training yesterday- they're independent, specifically so a 1080p projector doesn't have to look like crap when a 480p TV is connected in the same room.

T

TVJon

Audioholic
Follow up question about dual hdmi output...

Highfigh,

Thanks for the info... That's part of the puzzle. Knowing that the source video can effectively be split so one 1080p video signal can be delivered to the PJ, while a separate hdmi signal can drive a television with different specs.. say 720p.... that's good news.

The follow-up question is audio: Assuming that the playback devices are delivering 7.1 audio to the receiver, which drives speakers in the theater room at 7.1... what does the receiver do if you're trying to get stereo audio AND the video signal to the television I mentioned earlier via that hdmi cable? The TV obviously can't deliver 7.1 audio.

Thanks.

TVJon

>>I went to Denon training yesterday- they're independent, specifically so a 1080p projector doesn't have to look like crap when a 480p TV is connected in the same room.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Some hold up better than others though, and generally Denon and Marantz keep their s%$t together much better in these tests when driving 5/7 channels as compared to Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer.

The recent Onkyo (x08) and Yamaha (x67) AVRs seem to measure well up to 5 channels, but really fall apart when trying to drive all 7. IMO, non-Elite Pioneer AVR's really aren't impressive at all on the test bench.
I used to think that too but now I realize in some cases you cannot compare those bench results among certain AVRs. For example, the Denon AVR-4310 tested much better than the AVR4810 and as you mentioned even the 52 lbs weight Onkyo 3008/5008. Clearly the 4810 has beefier power supply and amp section yet in 7 channel driven the 4310 did 3 times better than the 4810. The obvious reason in that particular example is that the 4810 has a much more aggressive protection circuit that precluded the reviewer to measure the 7 ch driven output. I have seen quite a few similar bench test results not only from mass produced gear but even the perceived higher end brands such as Anthem's models.

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
Love/Hate Relationship with AVR-3312

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the Denon AVR-3312CI about two weeks ago and have to say so far it's been a real love / hate relationship. So far I've been everywhere from man this is awesome, to, I'm taking this back. I will state that at least in my case, I'm asking a lot of the product in that I'm in I.T. and have played with almost every aspect of the network and interface. I've used the iPhone app, iPad app and a third part app to interface with it. I use the menu system and also the web interface (which is awesome to configure the device). I point this out because I think it might add to the products wonky-ness....It occasionally goes into an odd state where it will just look at me and not respond to any commands. I normally have to turn it off and give it a few minutes for it to come back to life.

Here is my posted review from BestBuy/Crutchfield, I've added a few additional comments for this forum-

Where it really counts, sound quality, the AVR-3312 is great. After that, many of the features are good in theory, but really need some work. I'm using the bi-amp feature and the sound without a doubt is awesome.

My first recommendation - do a firmware update straight out of the box. It will help reduce your frustrations. I say reduce, because a good number of the problems still exist. The system will often say "addressing network", which puts it into a near useless state as far as any streaming or network connectivity, this includes doing the firmware update. I found removing the ethernet cable and plugging it back in will allow you to see the firmware update availability, but only if you navigate to that area of the menu. My system did not recognize it had a firmware update until I forced it to check. Once I did the update the addressing network and a few other issues went away.

I also found running everything through the receiver via HDMI cables is not a real option for me. The issue is switching between sources it "fries", or at least I thought it did, my Samsung's HDMI ports, turning the picture pink and then static. This does not happen every-time and the good news is that unplugging the TV fixes the port. To be fair, it could also be the TV, but I'm using all the same sources as before and have never had an issue. This issue seems to be caused by the system trying to auto-sense and match up resolutions, it by far is the most frustrating issue. I will also add that a variable that I have not looked into is the cable, it's a new high speed Monster HDMI cable. Not sure if others have had issues with the newer monster cables or not?

When the features do work properly eg. AirPlay, they are great. The sound quality is very good and streaming content sounds near as good as directly attached sources. I will say watching Bluray movies via HDMI using DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD is really awesome. I'll add to the AirPlay statement here and repeat how when streaming from my Mac via AirPlay the sound is really impressive.

I'm conflicted about recommending this product to those who want full HDMI integration or want to use every feature the system offers. That might change though with a few more firmware updates...we'll see.

I have not finished working through my testing yet eg. setting specific resolutions to avoid auto-sensing and using an older HDMI cable, once I do if there are any changes I'll post them here.

If anyone else has had similar experiences I'd love to hear about them. Also, if anyone has any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

Thanks,
Greg

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Nice write-up Greg, welcome to the site.

PS. Don't waste your money on Monster Cables.:eek: Checkout Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable.

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
Hi AVRat,

Funny you should mention the Monster thing, I actually was going to say...no Monster comments. I agree with you, and normally I don't buy Monster cables..I had my 4 year old son with me at the time and chalk it up as a moment of weakness during chaotic shopping with a 4 year old boy. Makes me wonder how I even got the Denon installed in only a day.

Thanks for the Monoprice/BJC tip.
Greg

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
Second Firmware Update

Just forced my 3312 to look for a firmware update and sure enough, a new one was available. Second firmware update since its release. I'm not complaining since I'm pretty committed to making it work. Here's hoping it makes the product less wonky.

I wonder if Denon posts what is in the firmware update anywhere...

I'll keep you all posted.

Greg

Hi Everyone,

I purchased the Denon AVR-3312CI about two weeks ago and have to say so far it's been a real love / hate relationship. So far I've been everywhere from man this is awesome, to, I'm taking this back. I will state that at least in my case, I'm asking a lot of the product in that I'm in I.T. and have played with almost every aspect of the network and interface. I've used the iPhone app, iPad app and a third part app to interface with it. I use the menu system and also the web interface (which is awesome to configure the device). I point this out because I think it might add to the products wonky-ness....It occasionally goes into an odd state where it will just look at me and not respond to any commands. I normally have to turn it off and give it a few minutes for it to come back to life.

Here is my posted review from BestBuy/Crutchfield, I've added a few additional comments for this forum-

Where it really counts, sound quality, the AVR-3312 is great. After that, many of the features are good in theory, but really need some work. I'm using the bi-amp feature and the sound without a doubt is awesome.

My first recommendation - do a firmware update straight out of the box. It will help reduce your frustrations. I say reduce, because a good number of the problems still exist. The system will often say "addressing network", which puts it into a near useless state as far as any streaming or network connectivity, this includes doing the firmware update. I found removing the ethernet cable and plugging it back in will allow you to see the firmware update availability, but only if you navigate to that area of the menu. My system did not recognize it had a firmware update until I forced it to check. Once I did the update the addressing network and a few other issues went away.

I also found running everything through the receiver via HDMI cables is not a real option for me. The issue is switching between sources it "fries", or at least I thought it did, my Samsung's HDMI ports, turning the picture pink and then static. This does not happen every-time and the good news is that unplugging the TV fixes the port. To be fair, it could also be the TV, but I'm using all the same sources as before and have never had an issue. This issue seems to be caused by the system trying to auto-sense and match up resolutions, it by far is the most frustrating issue. I will also add that a variable that I have not looked into is the cable, it's a new high speed Monster HDMI cable. Not sure if others have had issues with the newer monster cables or not?

When the features do work properly eg. AirPlay, they are great. The sound quality is very good and streaming content sounds near as good as directly attached sources. I will say watching Bluray movies via HDMI using DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD is really awesome. I'll add to the AirPlay statement here and repeat how when streaming from my Mac via AirPlay the sound is really impressive.

I'm conflicted about recommending this product to those who want full HDMI integration or want to use every feature the system offers. That might change though with a few more firmware updates...we'll see.

I have not finished working through my testing yet eg. setting specific resolutions to avoid auto-sensing and using an older HDMI cable, once I do if there are any changes I'll post them here.

If anyone else has had similar experiences I'd love to hear about them. Also, if anyone has any specific questions I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

Thanks,
Greg

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
This might be like shopping when hungry....updating when angry. Just had to unplug the AVR-3312 to get it to do anything. Remote wouldn't turn it off, iPhone app wouldn't, even the green button wouldn't restart it.

The new firmware did little to really help the device.

I'm a BestBuy Silver Member so I get a longer time to return items. I think it beat me. I think I'm returning it.

Greg

J

jim.h.rocks

Audiophyte
hey, been following this thread because i was very interested in the denon 3312. still interested in denon but perhaps not this model. have a couple questions that some of you could help me with. first, have any of you had a problem running sirus radio from your computer, through ethernet line to your receivers? also woundering if this and other models in this range that have 24/192 dacs are able to play back 24/192 flac files from usb and computer at that quality? any heat problems?

thanks,
jim.

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
Went to an Onkyo TX-NR809

This might be like shopping when hungry....updating when angry. Just had to unplug the AVR-3312 to get it to do anything. Remote wouldn't turn it off, iPhone app wouldn't, even the green button wouldn't restart it.

I'm a BestBuy Silver Member so I get a longer time to return items. I think it beat me. I think I'm returning it.

Greg
Hi Everyone,

I decided to go to an Onkyo TX-NR809 to replace the Denon 3312. Just got it yesterday, kept me up until 1:00 am playing with it. It's too early to give my full thoughts, but so far I really like it and have had no issue with it. If anyone wants a bit of a comparison I'd do that, just let me know.

Greg

highfigh

highfigh

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Greg
A firmware update is the second thing that should be done to ANY piece of updatable equipment and if Crutchfield had their act together, they would post that on their website or in some communication with you. Hard reset is the first thing to be done. Also, the CI models are really not designed to be sold to end users who aren't familiar with their setup. You're in IT but if you didn't read the manual, it's not just going to tell you how to set it up through some kind of Wizard. CI dealers/integrators do these things immediately upon opening the box and plugging it in. Also, shut everything down, unplug everything, including the power cords (you can leave the speakers connected). Then, make your cable connections. If you're using a power strip, turn it off, plug the power cables in andthen flip the switch on the power strip before turning things on, starting with the receiver.

If you didn't enable Network Standby, do that immediately. Also, you need to read up on HDMI- it's not a user-friendly format. It exists so people are kept from copying Hollywood's precious movies, not so it can be a flawless connection protocol. Also, and unfortunately, HDMI cables have many serious flaws and the re-use of old cables doesn't help. Make sure your cable is free of lint, dust and other debris- it can seriously degrade bandwidth, which is the problem you seem to be having. Also, HDMI cables are meant to bend no mopre than 30 degrees, not 90, not stuffed into a cabinet with the connectors and cables pushing into the back panel.

Monster Cable is overpriced. You need HDMI 1.4 compliant cables and if you have any plans to use 3d format media, it's even more important. High speed HDMI isn't BS- and if you want to future-proof yourself a bit, get High Speed with ethernet cables. If you tried the DVD/BD or cable box without the receiver in the signal path and it worked, you need to change some settings- it's not the receiver's fault. You either have bandwidth or CEC and/or possibly EDID issues.

The reason streaming content sounds good is that it's all converted to PCM- it doesn't remain as MP3, or whatever the original format was in iTunes, etc.

Assuming that all of your sources connect to the receiver and the TV is connected to the HDMI output of the receiver, where is the TV? If it's far from the receiver, make sure the cable is good (continuity testing won't necessarily tell you if it will work) and that it's not pulling down on the jacks. If you're using an HDMI extender, make absolutely sure that the RJ45 connectors are terminated correctly, per the extender's color code. They don't all use 568/570 termination and cable length is critical. If you used a two cable extender (2 Cat5e cables), using cable from two different manufacturers is a good way to have problems. Also, pulling too hard on the cable doesn't help anything. It's not a problem for network (even gigabit networks) unless the cable was stretched badly, the bend radius is exceeded or it's cheap cable but since HDMI transmits at about 10Gb/sec, it is. If you stapled the Cat5e in place, make sure the staples aren't kinking the wire. If you used wire ties, make sure they aren't too tight. It matters.

Also, hold on to your hats, everybody- HDMI 1.5 is coming.:eek::eek::mad:

highfigh

highfigh

Greg
If you turned it off in the middle of an update, stop doing that. You need to let it go through the whole sequence.

How old is your house? Do you have any wiring problems (lights flickering, etc)?

The newest update is for Rhapsody, not general operation.

Good luck with another brand- Denon was the first company that made updates easy. The rest either require burning a disc or they can't be done without sending it in.

highfigh

highfigh

BTW- Denon will be discontinuing the Sirius antenna connector next year, in favor of streaming over the internet.

Another word of advice- let these receivers breathe, especially if you like to crank it up and/or use a separate power amp. An unterminated speaker output causes the amp to operate in ClassA, which causes it to run hotter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis