Denon AVR-3312CI 7.2 Channel Integrated Network A/V Receiver First Look

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Highfigh,

Thanks for the info... That's part of the puzzle. Knowing that the source video can effectively be split so one 1080p video signal can be delivered to the PJ, while a separate hdmi signal can drive a television with different specs.. say 720p.... that's good news.

The follow-up question is audio: Assuming that the playback devices are delivering 7.1 audio to the receiver, which drives speakers in the theater room at 7.1... what does the receiver do if you're trying to get stereo audio AND the video signal to the television I mentioned earlier via that hdmi cable? The TV obviously can't deliver 7.1 audio.

Thanks.

TVJon

>>I went to Denon training yesterday- they're independent, specifically so a 1080p projector doesn't have to look like crap when a 480p TV is connected in the same room.

In order to separate the two displays (AKA not "dumbing down" the signal), you would need to go into setup and disable CEC.

I went to Denon CI training yesterday and we spent almost no time discussing 3D.

There's not much media that has actual 7.1 audio and any setup changes should be done in the IP based menu access. You would find the IP address of the receiver, enter that in the address bar and select the zone you want to set up. It's a lot faster than using the remote, even with the OSD.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
For those of you who use an iPhone or Droid, check out some of the DLNA features when using Windows 7. It's easy to set up (Windows Media Player has streaming controls in the View Library Options area) and this allows the Denon or other receiver with a Media Server function to access the media on a computer, iPod/iPhone/iPad, NAS or another computer with a media library. You would need to click on Start, Network and double-click on the device (receiver) you want to enable, then use the drop-down before clicking OK. You'll see all devices that can stream once you click on this. Once this is done, press Net/USB on the receiver or remote and select Media Server. You'll see the name of the streaming devices, then you'll see 'Music', 'Pictures' and 'Playlists' after pressing the right side of the direction button. Your All Music, Genre, All Artists, etc options will appear after pressing 'Music'.

G

gregmacman

Audiophyte
Easier to go with an Onkyo...call me lazy I guess.

Highfigh you can screw around with all that. I simply took the $1099 receiver back for a $699 Onkyo that has had zero issues with what I'm asking it to do. Also, my new Onkyo has Internet updates..they even tell you what's in the update, crazy eh.

PS. I'm not the only one having issues with the product, BestBuy said they have gotten a few back. Read other reviewers as well.

Greg

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Everyone,

I decided to go to an Onkyo TX-NR809 to replace the Denon 3312. Just got it yesterday, kept me up until 1:00 am playing with it. It's too early to give my full thoughts, but so far I really like it and have had no issue with it. If anyone wants a bit of a comparison I'd do that, just let me know.

Greg
I would love to see a comparison on those two. I am in the market and they are two of the final 3 contenders. I'll keep an eye out for a new thread.;)

T

tonypelicon

Audiophyte
Well I can see some ppl is having some problems on this Denon version, actually my favorite one was the 2312, even if its not the 3312, I can say it has the best quality ever ! just for info you can check out any question you have about it at Denon AVR2312CI , this guys answered to any of my questions about the denon products and thats why I bought the 2312 some time ago, they can do a lot of tests for you and for me, was the best option to clear my doubts about it.

J

jsmunroe59

Audiophyte
Sees the update but can't get it to update?

A firmware update is the second thing that should be done to ANY piece of updatable equipment and if Crutchfield had their act together, they would post that on their website or in some communication with you. Hard reset is the first thing to be done. Also, the CI models are really not designed to be sold to end users who aren't familiar with their setup. You're in IT but if you didn't read the manual, it's not just going to tell you how to set it up through some kind of Wizard. CI dealers/integrators do these things immediately upon opening the box and plugging it in. Also, shut everything down, unplug everything, including the power cords (you can leave the speakers connected). Then, make your cable connections. If you're using a power strip, turn it off, plug the power cables in andthen flip the switch on the power strip before turning things on, starting with the receiver.

If you didn't enable Network Standby, do that immediately. Also, you need to read up on HDMI- it's not a user-friendly format. It exists so people are kept from copying Hollywood's precious movies, not so it can be a flawless connection protocol. Also, and unfortunately, HDMI cables have many serious flaws and the re-use of old cables doesn't help. Make sure your cable is free of lint, dust and other debris- it can seriously degrade bandwidth, which is the problem you seem to be having. Also, HDMI cables are meant to bend no mopre than 30 degrees, not 90, not stuffed into a cabinet with the connectors and cables pushing into the back panel.

Monster Cable is overpriced. You need HDMI 1.4 compliant cables and if you have any plans to use 3d format media, it's even more important. High speed HDMI isn't BS- and if you want to future-proof yourself a bit, get High Speed with ethernet cables. If you tried the DVD/BD or cable box without the receiver in the signal path and it worked, you need to change some settings- it's not the receiver's fault. You either have bandwidth or CEC and/or possibly EDID issues.

The reason streaming content sounds good is that it's all converted to PCM- it doesn't remain as MP3, or whatever the original format was in iTunes, etc.

Assuming that all of your sources connect to the receiver and the TV is connected to the HDMI output of the receiver, where is the TV? If it's far from the receiver, make sure the cable is good (continuity testing won't necessarily tell you if it will work) and that it's not pulling down on the jacks. If you're using an HDMI extender, make absolutely sure that the RJ45 connectors are terminated correctly, per the extender's color code. They don't all use 568/570 termination and cable length is critical. If you used a two cable extender (2 Cat5e cables), using cable from two different manufacturers is a good way to have problems. Also, pulling too hard on the cable doesn't help anything. It's not a problem for network (even gigabit networks) unless the cable was stretched badly, the bend radius is exceeded or it's cheap cable but since HDMI transmits at about 10Gb/sec, it is. If you stapled the Cat5e in place, make sure the staples aren't kinking the wire. If you used wire ties, make sure they aren't too tight. It matters.

Also, hold on to your hats, everybody- HDMI 1.5 is coming.:eek::eek::mad:
My 3312-CI see's that there is an update but there is no button on the remote or the front of the receiver that will acknowledge or allow the update? HELP!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis