BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...or just pick up a used amp off of eBay for $100 or so. That way you use everything that you intended to use.

A

almandog

Audiophyte
What i don't understand is that the Denon AH-4700 Receiver has terminals for 11 speakers and I have 11 speakers connected to all of these terminals, yet it does not support all of them: Only support 9 speakers. Does not make sense to me.

Mando..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What i don't understand is that the Denon AH-4700 Receiver has terminals for 11 speakers and I have 11 speakers connected to all of these terminals, yet it does not support all of them: Only support 9 speakers. Does not make sense to me.

Mando..
Think of it this way, you get processing for more than the built-in amps if you want to add an external amp, so more a processing bonus rather than an amp bonus :)

This is fairly common in avrs, tho. I remember when I got my first similar avr, and hooked up all nine available speaker terminals, but could only use front heights or rear surrounds at a given time depending on sound mode employed (pre-Atmos, so just Dolby PLIIx & z). I did hope all nine would magically work, tho....

If you really want to use the full processing capabilities of the avr, just get an external amp (or a few if you want to take advantage of zones, too)

ps In any case believe they market yours as a 9.1 ch avr, so not misleading in that sense.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Think of it this way, you get processing for more than the built-in amps if you want to add an external amp, so more a processing bonus rather than an amp bonus :)

This is fairly common in avrs, tho. I remember when I got my first similar avr, and hooked up all nine available speaker terminals, but could only use front heights or rear surrounds at a given time depending on sound mode employed (pre-Atmos, so just Dolby PLIIx & z). I did hope all nine would magically work, tho....

If you really want to use the full processing capabilities of the avr, just get an external amp (or a few if you want to take advantage of zones, too)

ps In any case believe they market yours as a 9.1 ch avr, so not misleading in that sense.
Can you or someone answer this question for me. I’ve gotten conflicting answers. I’m looking to buy the 4700 for a 7.2.4 set up. I want to buy an amp for my fronts and use the 9 amp channels for everything else. I’ve been told that I can’t assign the speakers that way and would still need an external amp for a pair of the height speakers. Essentially, I can’t take the front amp channels and use them for a pair of heights. Even if I have an external for the fronts.
I hope I’m staying all that clear enough. Thabks in advance.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The core five channels are not assignable. You can get an external amp for the fronts but the two internal amps will be left unused as they cannot be reassigned to other channels. So, if processing a 7.2.4 setup, one will need two external amps for the four channels(FL, FR, H2 pair) that will not be powered internally if one is using an external amp for the fronts and wants four height channels as well.

Scratch this in regard to the X4700H, had X4500H on the brain.

Last edited:
Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
The core five channels are not assignable. You can get an external amp for the fronts but the two internal amps will be left unused as they cannot be reassigned to other channels. So, if processing a 7.2.4 setup, one will need two external amps for the four channels(FL, FR, H2 pair) that will not be powered internally if one is using an external amp for the fronts and wants four height channels as well.
Thank you so much, that is the answer I am looking for. I think I am going to go with the 6500 so Ian covered.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The X6500H will process and power all of the channels in an 11.1(7.1.4) setup. But, like the X4700H, the core five channels cannot be reassigned if one chooses to have an external amp power the front speakers. The X6700H has 13 channels of processing but powers just 11 of them and an external amp would be necessary for the third pair of height speakers or front speakers based on the settings.

Scratch the X4700H as it can do it. The X4500H cannot do so.

Last edited:
Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
The X6500H will process and power all of the channels in an 11.1(7.1.4) setup. But, like the X4700H, the core five channels cannot be reassigned if one chooses to have an external amp power the front speakers. The X6700H has 13 channels of processing but powers just 11 of them and an external amp would be necessary for the third pair of height speakers.
Yeah; I’m not worried about wides yet. If I really need them, I could add a cheap 2 channel for those. Again, thanks for the help!!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry, was referring to a 7.1.6 setup using an external amp for third pair of height speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It so sure. Maybe my interpretationalship skill aint too good. But on my 6012(sister) I only have one external amp for my mains, and the AVR does all the rest.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It so sure. Maybe my interpretationalship skill aint too good. But on my 6012(sister) I only have one external amp for my mains, and the AVR does all the rest.
No, you are correct and I need to keep my model numbers straight in my head.o_O I was thinking X4500H models. The Denon X4700H can do the reassignment so that an external amplifier powers the fronts and the rest of the amps are used for the other nine channels. Didn't think a 6012 could do it. Is it perhaps a 6015?;) I will edit my mess above accordingly. My apologies to @Hitchslapped for the misinformation.

Denon X4700H:
76171B59-FC91-41BC-BB6E-A39CDC5C0866.jpeg
E6025F9A-9F72-440D-BA8F-82E636011CC4.jpeg

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
That’s outstanding!!!!! I’ll be grabbing the 4700H then!!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No, you are correct and I need to keep my model numbers straight in my head.o_O I was thinking X4500H models. The Denon X4700H can do the reassignment so that an external amplifier powers the fronts and the rest of the amps are used for the other nine channels. Didn't think a 6012 could do it. Is it perhaps a 6015?;) I will edit my mess above accordingly. My apologies to @Hitchslapped for the misinformation.

Denon X4700H:
View attachment 53395View attachment 53396
Lol. Well I wouldn’t mind if it was a 6015, but no. It’s a 6012. I’ve really enjoyed its performance for what that’s worth.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, you are correct and I need to keep my model numbers straight in my head.o_O I was thinking X4500H models. The Denon X4700H can do the reassignment so that an external amplifier powers the fronts and the rest of the amps are used for the other nine channels. Didn't think a 6012 could do it.
Just fyi the SR6012 can do that too, just won't benefit as much in terms of THD+N and IMD, likely because the HDAMs add distortions and noise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis