Denon 4500 vs Denon 3700

J

J.D

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new receiver and have got the price down from my local shop. They are saying they can sell for the below costs. My question is, which would be the better buy? It seems like the major question is power vs 8k/4k120hz? Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Denon 4500 - 1150
Denon 3700 - 1150

Edit**** Thought id add, i have a 7.2.2 setup at the moment,

Front Left and Right: Synergy F1 (F1SFBK) 8 ohm 100 Watt (2)
Front Center: Synergy C3 (C3SCBK) 8 ohm 150 Watt (1)
Sides, Backs: R14M 8 ohm 50 Watt (4)
Ceiling: CDT 5650 (2)
Sub: RPW10 120 V (2)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd think in terms of power that the 4500 only has about a 1dB advantage over the 3700. Do you see the need for 8k at all yet? What does the 1150 mean? What do you use now for avr?

J

J.D

Audiophyte
To be honest no, I can't see 8k being feasible for quite a while. Currently, I use my system to play movies and do some casual gaming (sport games). The 4k 120hz is what I'm puzzled with, power(4500) vs 4k120hz(3700). The 1150 is the cost in CAD. Are there any other real differences im missing? What would others purchase in my situation?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the 4500 for 1150 is a better deal based on list price in the US, not familiar with how it goes up north there generally. I haven't even gone 4k yet myself, but I usually wait until things are fairly commonplace before I upgrade gear for differences (like for me going 1080p/no Atmos to 4k/Atmos). I suspect 8k just won't even get to where 4k is now for some time if ever. The extra 20 watts per channel rating means little between 105 and 125 wpc.... 0.8dB difference. However for the same price I tend towards the more powerful amp section. The Denon (USA site at least) comparison tool might help in pointing out other differences between the two.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I had the same decision in front of me and went with the 4500H as I got it for less then the 3700H in sealed box with full warranty. The 4000 Series just offers a lot of upgrades hardware wise including more powerful amps with lower distortion, a more powerful power supply, gold plated contacts throughout, a 2 line display, more inputs & outputs, more 12V triggers, more metal & less plastic overall(it weighs almost 4 pounds more). It is a far better value at the same price point features aside. Now, ultimately an amp also has to have the features you need so, that must be taken into account too. The one thing the 4500H is missing I wish it had is Atmos Height Virtualization but, I can live without it.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I am looking to purchase a new receiver and have got the price down from my local shop. They are saying they can sell for the below costs. My question is, which would be the better buy? It seems like the major question is power vs 8k/4k120hz? Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

Denon 4500 - 1150
Denon 3700 - 1150
Here's the best deal:

B

Blade77

Audiophyte
I had the same decision in front of me and went with the 4500H as I got it for less then the 3700H in sealed box with full warranty. The 4000 Series just offers a lot of upgrades hardware wise including more powerful amps with lower distortion, a more powerful power supply, gold plated contacts throughout, a 2 line display, more inputs & outputs, more 12V triggers, more metal & less plastic overall(it weighs almost 4 pounds more). It is a far better value at the same price point features aside. Now, ultimately an amp also has to have the features you need so, that must be taken into account too. The one thing the 4500H is missing I wish it had is Atmos Height Virtualization but, I can live without it.

i am exactly on the same boat. I would buy instantly 4500 since i think is a better receiver overall and a better vfm. My only concern is the next gen console that i will buy later this year and i would like to be 100% sure that earc will work and i will be able to passthrough lossless audio to the receiver.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
i am exactly on the same boat. I would buy instantly 4500 since i think is a better receiver overall and a better vfm. My only concern is the next gen console that i will buy later this year and i would like to be 100% sure that earc will work and i will be able to passthrough lossless audio to the receiver.
Good thing I am not on this boat. It is a really tough decision. Do you think the 3700 has all the features you need? Will you be using external power amplifier(s) with your AVR?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic

Dolby height virtualization is the reason why you won’t be able to cross upmix. I don’t understand why you would spend money for an Atmos receiver and only use bed channels to mimic height channels. It even on the higher end models.

Last edited:
T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Dolby height virtualization is the reason why you won’t be able to cross upmix. I don’t understand why you would spend money for an Atmos receiver and only use bed channels to mimic height channels. It even on the higher end models.
Huh? I think you may need to re-read my post. I was simply pointing out that the 4500H doesn't have DHV. The only reason I would like it is to run until I get my height speakers and roof mount them(I am only running 5.1 now and upgrading to 5.2.4 at a later date).

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
Well, that definitely makes it a harder decision. Can you wait until you get the PS5/Xbox SX to get the AVR? I know it is a risk as there is only so many 4500H/3600H's left. Or, what about going for the 4700H(obviously more money and less value but, most likely to be compatible and offers the upgrades of the 4000 Series)? Hard decision...

B

Blade77

Audiophyte
Well, that definitely makes it a harder decision. Can you wait until you get the PS5/Xbox SX to get the AVR? I know it is a risk as there is only so many 4500H/3600H's left. Or, what about going for the 4700H(obviously more money and less value but, most likely to be compatible and offers the upgrades of the 4000 Series)? Hard decision...

i am debating between 4500 and 3700 which is a new model and will be released in August in Europe. These 2 receivers are at almost the same price and the main difference is slighty more power, better dacs and AURO 3D for 4500, while 3700 offers HDMI 2.1 and sure compatibility with ps5 and Dolby height virtualization. I think i should go for the 4500, only if there is a big price difference (300-400E for a used or refurbished unit). Otherwise 3700 might be a better choice, because i will be sure that everything will work as supposed to. 4700 is way to expensive..

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
i am debating between 4500 and 3700 which is a new model and will be released in August in Europe. These 2 receivers are at almost the same price and the main difference is slighty more power, better dacs and AURO 3D for 4500, while 3700 offers HDMI 2.1 and sure compatibility with ps5 and Dolby height virtualization. I think i should go for the 4500, only if there is a big price difference (300-400E for a used or refurbished unit). Otherwise 3700 might be a better choice, because i will be sure that everything will work as supposed to. 4700 is way to expensive..

Denon 4500 offers 20% more power and is $200 less refurbished than the 3700. I bought my 4500 refurbished and it's the best deal I've gotten this year. Works great and looks like brand new. Three year warranty included.

Pick your poison! :D

C

Chocolatey MidsFan

Enthusiast
I have the 3600 and it's great. That being said I regret not going for the 4500 because I'd rather not have Dolby height virtualization , I would rather be able to cross upmix.

B

Blade77

Audiophyte

Denon 4500 offers 20% more power and is $200 less refurbished than the 3700. I bought my 4500 refurbished and it's the best deal I've gotten this year. Works great and looks like brand new. Three year warranty included.

Pick your poison! :D
Does the 4500 earc works well? I intend to buy a ps5 later this year so i need to make the right choice.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Does the 4500 earc works well? I intend to buy a ps5 later this year so i need to make the right choice.
I'm sure eArc works fine, but my 4500 is currently hooked up to an old Samsung 1080 that has no eARC on it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Isn't it hard to test eARC at this point? Since there's so little actual implementation? At least that's the way it appears to me....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Isn't it hard to test eARC at this point? Since there's so little actual implementation? At least that's the way it appears to me....
That's probably true. The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed between the TV and the receiver (or sound bar) for supporting Dolby Atmos and DTS. However, if you're running an old TV like mine (without eARC) I simply plug the HDMI from the Sony UBP-X700 Blu-ray player into the Denon 4500 and feed the video out of the 4500 to the TV.

This setup provides great sound and allows all the audio formats to be supported. I notice a big difference between watching "Wonder Woman" 4K HDR disc today or "Batman vs Superman" disc yesterday and watching "The Umbrella Company" on Netflix using the TV app. It sounds so much better on the 4K player with a 4K disc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's probably true. The main benefit of eARC is a big boost in bandwidth and speed between the TV and the receiver (or sound bar) for supporting Dolby Atmos and DTS. However, if you're running an old TV like mine (without eARC) I simply plug the HDMI from the Sony UBP-X700 Blu-ray player into the Denon 4500 and feed the video out of the 4500 to the TV.

This setup provides great sound and allows all the audio formats to be supported. I notice a big difference between watching "Wonder Woman" 4K HDR disc today or "Batman vs Superman" disc yesterday and watching "The Umbrella Company" on Netflix using the TV app. It sounds so much better on the 4K player with a 4K disc.
Personally I never expect to need to source lossless audio from the tv at all, it's just a display in my use. I wouldn't plug a source into the tv, that's why I use an avr in the first place, I prefer it for switching.....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Personally I never expect to need to source lossless audio from the tv at all, it's just a display in my use. I wouldn't plug a source into the tv, that's why I use an avr in the first place, I prefer it for switching.....
That means you don't expect to use Netflix, Amazon or any of the other Movie streamers from the TV functions? Instead, you have to purchase another Device like Roku or something else to stream movies? I guess that's OK but it's another device and cables to buy for a service already built into most modern TV's.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis