Denon 4500 vs Denon 3700

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey lovinthehd, would you say your oatmeal tastes better with a metal spoon or a plastic spork?:p I kid, you're the best!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey lovinthehd, would you say your oatmeal tastes better with a metal spoon or a plastic spork?:p I kid, you're the best!
I keep meaning to make some oatmeal lately....but I had some enchiladas I made yesterday for brunch instead :) Even when I camp I have metal utensils, avoid plastic :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I keep meaning to make some oatmeal lately....but I had some enchiladas I made yesterday for brunch instead :) Even when I camp I have metal utensils, avoid plastic :)
Yikes, be careful. Don't know if I'd eat enchiladas near a camp fire.:eek:

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Doesn't mean they're level matched. The power rating of the amp wouldn't come into play if they're matched, but even small differences in level (due various possibilities) can yield preference for the slightly higher level. You saw each unit reset to factory settings, too? While they're more similar than different in several ways, this is not a very good way to definitively compare....anecdotal at best.
No argument here. And to be fair, I did a similar listening "test" around a week ago with the 7013 and 4700 at a different store listening/watching primarily to movies and had a very difficult time noticing any difference -- and my preferences were inconsistent to the extent I did notice anything. The only conclusion I am drawing from this is that I "may" have a slight preference for the Marantz all other things held equal, and that notwithstanding the ASR test results which favor the Denons, there is nothing audible that pushes me in that direction.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Subliminal, maybe. Snarky, absolutely. My old 3803 left nice grill marks on my meat. Oops, there I go again.:p
But yet you are still leaning toward a 6014? You decided you can use an indoor grill?

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
While they're more similar than different in several ways, this is not a very good way to definitively compare....anecdotal at best.
Out of curiosity, if you were in the market for a new AVR, and given the difficulty in doing a definitive comparison, would you tend to rely on the test measurements to the exclusion of listening?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No argument here. And to be fair, I did a similar listening "test" around a week ago with the 7013 and 4700 at a different store listening/watching primarily to movies and had a very difficult time noticing any difference -- and my preferences were inconsistent to the extent I did notice anything. The only conclusion I am drawing from this is that I "may" have a slight preference for the Marantz all other things held equal, and that notwithstanding the ASR test results which favor the Denons, there is nothing audible that pushes me in that direction.
Admit it. You love the porthole.;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
But yet you are still leaning toward a 6014? You decided you can use an indoor grill?
No indoor grill. I understand the 6014 cooks more evenly than an old Denon ever could.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Out of curiosity, if you were in the market for a new AVR, and given the difficulty in doing a definitive comparison, would you tend to rely on the test measurements to the exclusion of listening?
I have never auditioned an AVR or an amp ever. I go by recommendations and I go by test measurements and select the one with the features I need

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Haha. Speaking of which, do you have any idea if the Marantz app would show all of the stuff that would typically be on a "normal" display?
I believe so and I also think you can bring that info up on the TV screen.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, for avrs I generally go by features/connectivity primarily, amp section somewhat. Never "listened" to any of them before installation either. I have four different avrs in use....and while they're somewhat different, they're far more similar. I also have a couple two ch separates (analog only pre-amp/amp combos) but mostly use the avrs as they're more useful for digital playback. Speakers and rooms....now that's where differences will be much more apparent.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Well, for avrs I generally go by features/connectivity primarily, amp section somewhat. Never "listened" to any of them before installation either. I have four different avrs in use....and while they're somewhat different, they're far more similar. I also have a couple two ch separates (analog only pre-amp/amp combos) but mostly use the avrs as they're more useful for digital playback. Speakers and rooms....now that's where differences will be much more apparent.
Interesting. Makes me think I am overthinking things.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Serious question. Would you buy a demo from Best Buy that had been out for a year? Wondering about the effects of heat since they run all day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the BB came with the full warranty anyways I'd probably go for it if the discount was worthy. Maybe consider where they stuff their demo units :)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Serious question. Would you buy a demo from Best Buy that had been out for a year? Wondering about the effects of heat since they run all day.
Nope, I would not buy a used receiver or a demo. The problem is Denon says there is a warranty but in reality you may never get it fixed. I sent my Denon 4500 in for repair 6 weeks ago and still have not heard anything from PANURGYOEM except they do not have parts.

Thats not much of a warranty.

If you want a deal get a new Denon 3600 for $799. That's less than the refurb price. This won't last.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis