Denon 4500 vs Denon 3700

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That means you don't expect to use Netflix, Amazon or any of the other Movie streamers from the TV functions? Instead, you have to purchase another Device like Roku or something else to stream movies? I guess that's OK but it's another device and cables to buy for a service already built into most modern TV's.
I have a coupla smart tvs, just use them as displays. Better apps/services available thru Amazon Fire Sticks or even a bluray player, no cable needed, it just plugs into an hdmi port on my avrs.

ps Is there some plan to have lossless audio via a smart tv app?

Last edited:
S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Dolby height virtualization is the reason why you won’t be able to cross upmix. I don’t understand why you would spend money for an Atmos receiver and only use bed channels to mimic height channels. It even on the higher end models.
Can someone plese explain to me what this means and what "cross upmixing" is? I'm interested in the height virtualization feature because I only am running 5.1. But I am also trying to decide if the next level up from the Denon 3xxx or Marantz 6xxx makes more sense for me given the relatively small price difference currently from the lower model. As both the 4500h and sr7013 are 2018 models, neither has the height virtualization feature.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Can someone plese explain to me what this means and what "cross upmixing" is? I'm interested in the height virtualization feature because I only am running 5.1. But I am also trying to decide if the next level up from the Denon 3xxx or Marantz 6xxx makes more sense for me given the relatively small price difference currently from the lower model. As both the 4500h and sr7013 are 2018 models, neither has the height virtualization feature.
An upmixer takes an audio signal, let's say 2 channel stereo and processes it to utilize all of the speakers in your 5.1 setup for immersive audio formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
An upmixer takes an audio signal, let's say 2 channel stereo and processes it to utilize all of the speakers in your 5.1 setup for immersive audio formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro-3D.
Thank you. That makes sense. So why would having the height virtualization feature preclude the receiver from also being able to upmix? And would that be an issue only if the height virtualization is enabled?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Marantz SR5014 might be worth a look for you as well.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
The Marantz SR5014 might be worth a look for you as well.
Thanks. It's actually $100 more than the 6014 currently. And I can get a 7013 demo/open box for around $200 more than the 6014.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's right, I saw the price drop on the 6014. I'm also looking since my new Yamaha... well, nevermind.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting. I'm still leaning toward 6014. It has 7.1 EXT IN. I'd use it.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Interesting. I'm still leaning toward 6014. It has 7.1 EXT IN. I'd use it.
I know everyone (most) on here seems to be of the mid that there is no difference in sound quality generally and that the Denons are better than the equivalent Marantz as revealed from the ASR reviews. I even posted recently that I went and listened to a Marantz and Denon and had a difficult time noticing any difference. But I decided to try tit again today (I'm a gluttob ;)) and after spending 1 1/2 hours listening to both the Denon 4700h and the Marantz sr6014 at equal volumes with the same direct settings I preferred the Marantz -- for 2 channel music particularly. Placebo or subjective bias? Perhaps, but there it is.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know everyone (most) on here seems to be of the mid that there is no difference in sound quality generally and that the Denons are better than the equivalent Marantz as revealed from the ASR reviews, but after spending 1 1/2 hours today listening to both the Denon 4700h and the Marantz sr6014 at equal volumes with the same direct settings I preferred the Marantz -- for 2 channel music particularly. Placebo or subjective bias? Perhaps, but there it is.
How did you use the same speakers simultaneously so you could switch back and forth?

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
Nice anecdotal experience then. How did you level match the units?
We simply matched the volume setting on each unit. I realize that the Denon has 15 watts more power than the Marantz,, but there was really no discernible difference in volume at the same settings.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I know everyone (most) on here seems to be of the mid that there is no difference in sound quality generally and that the Denons are better than the equivalent Marantz as revealed from the ASR reviews, but after spending 1 1/2 hours today listening to both the Denon 4700h and the Marantz sr6014 at equal volumes with the same direct settings I preferred the Marantz -- for 2 channel music particularly. Placebo or subjective bias? Perhaps, but there it is.
Buy the one that sounds good to you. It's your money and you are listening to them with your ears and not our opinions. My glitchy new Yamaha sounds better to me than the Onkyo it replaced. But, the difference between a Denon and Marantz that are level matched may not be heard by some. If you heard a difference then go with the one you liked. You will save on your heating bill this winter with either one as they get toasty.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We simply matched the volume setting on each unit. I realize that the Denon has 15 watts more power than the Marantz,, but there was really no discernible difference in volume at the same settings.
Doesn't mean they're level matched. The power rating of the amp wouldn't come into play if they're matched, but even small differences in level (due various possibilities) can yield preference for the slightly higher level. You saw each unit reset to factory settings, too? While they're more similar than different in several ways, this is not a very good way to definitively compare....anecdotal at best.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis