dennis murphy aam's

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
man.....holy sh*t
awesome for $260 shipped

i thought the tweeter on these wouldnt be bright enough for me, but its perfect. its very clear and no harshness.
i have klipsch rp280s to compare to and i may like the aam tweeter better.
bass is no slouch on them, either.

these need power, though. zone 2 on my denon x3300 maxed out at 80. although loud, not enough for me.

Last edited:
B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
after a few hours this might sound crazy...
but the treble on the aams is a little more pronounced compared to the klipsch. seems more recessed.
unless im doing something wrong on my receiver.
klipsch zone 1 in direct mode
aams zone 2

either way i think im convinced i like the aam tweeter sound more.

not sure why the aams dont get recommended more. maybe to keep dennis from burning out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That tweeter is the best thing about the AAs IMO. They sounded excellent in my system when I tried them out. Still sound great in my kid's system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know if they really will get as loud as you want...the original kit had a max power rating of 100W. Don't think they'll out-loud the Klipsch....

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
will be using them in a bedroom, dont need to get much louder. maybe a couple db more

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They are also fairly low sensitivity, so they do need to be cranked a little more, but they're fine for a small room.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
ok i have to admit im somewhat shocked at the price i paid for this sound.

i bought the aam's primarily out of curiosity about the bass and forum reviews. the bass delivered but i did not expect the tweeter to be this good (to me at least). its almost like the bass is secondary. the highs are lively and fun. i cant imagine how much better dennis more expensive speakers sound like with those raal tweeters.

but if i could squeeze out maybe 5 or 10 more db volume these would be perfect.

looked through my dennon x3300 manual but cant find anything.
its rated at 105watts per channel, and volume is maxed out at 80. no clipping, no problems, and im sure the speakers could do more, easily.
wondering if theres a setting im missing? i thought maybe there is a 80 limit set on the avr, but i cant go into zone 2 settins for some reason. on the avr "zone 2" is greyed out. only volume works and when pressed, zone 2 on avr brightens up. when music plays, goes dim again.

i suppose i could connect these to front left and right terminals my klipsch rp280s are connected to.
volume in main zone 1 i believe goes up to 93 i think, instead of 80 in zone 2.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Denons have for zone 2 a limit of 0 dB (I use the relative scale on each, but 80 is similar on the absolute scale), check zone 2 setup volume limit in the setup menu and see what choices you have. You can also use a spl calculator like this to see what the power requirements would be for your distance and the sensitivity of the speakers (84.5 for the AA).

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
My Denons have for zone 2 a limit of 0 dB (I use the relative scale on each, but 80 is similar on the absolute scale), check zone 2 setup volume limit in the setup menu and see what choices you have. You can also use a spl calculator like this to see what the power requirements would be for your distance and the sensitivity of the speakers (84.5 for the AA).
general/zone2 setup

volume limit was set at 80. i just set it to off. left volume level to variable.
i can even raise or lower the bass and treble.

its late, so ill test volume tomorrow and report
thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
general/zone2 setup

volume limit was set at 80. i just set it to off. left volume level to variable.
i can even raise or lower the bass and treble.

its late, so ill test volume tomorrow and report
thanks
LOL wasn't even thinking of using off I even limit my main zone to 0....no desire to use the avr above that level. Especially if you'll be adding bass boost....

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Have not heard them myself but I have only heard good things about them. If I could get a pair for 260$ I would for sure buy pair for testing them out, but after shipping and imports they would be around 400$ for me.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
after a few hours this might sound crazy...
but the treble on the aams is a little more pronounced compared to the klipsch. seems more recessed.
unless im doing something wrong on my receiver.
klipsch zone 1 in direct mode
aams zone 2

either way i think im convinced i like the aam tweeter sound more.

not sure why the aams dont get recommended more. maybe to keep dennis from burning out.
Interesting you found the treble more pronounced compared to the klipsch. I haven't heard the 280s, but compared to the 160s, the treble was a bit brighter on the klipsch, and I felt the klipsch did better resolving small nuances.

The klipsch sound may just not be for you. Funny how you prefer the AAs to the klipsch, but I preferred the klipsch to the AAs. What's more interesting is my hearing is damn near perfect, still in my twenties and can hear all the way up to about 21.5khz, so you'd think brightness would be annoying to me.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
LOL wasn't even thinking of using off I even limit my main zone to 0....no desire to use the avr above that level. Especially if you'll be adding bass boost....
I've had a few movies I streamed on Netflix or vudu that seemed to have a screwed up dialnorm parameter. I ended up watching Captain America Civil War at about +3dB vs the usual 0dB on Netflix. This resulted in an average dialogue level of about 75dB, which is generally where I set the volume to and peaks of around 108dB during the loudest parts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had a few movies I streamed on Netflix or vudu that seemed to have a screwed up dialnorm parameter. I ended up watching Captain America Civil War at about +3dB vs the usual 0dB on Netflix. This resulted in an average dialogue level of about 75dB, which is generally where I set the volume to and peaks of around 108dB during the loudest parts.

I rarely come across a movie with a low level like that. Most recent was a friend who torrented a copy of 2049 Blade Runner, and the soundtrack in AC3 on that DL was very weak compared to the bluray. Once in a while I may turn up a streamed movie with low level but rarely past -10. YMMV.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My system is already pretty loud with most movies at -20.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What's more interesting is my hearing is damn near perfect, still in my twenties and can hear all the way up to about 21.5khz, so you'd think brightness would be annoying to me.
Do you have an audiogram to prove your hearing range claims? Because if you simply ran some test tones and thought you heard something at those frequencies, well, you shouldn't read too much into that...

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
Interesting you found the treble more pronounced compared to the klipsch. I haven't heard the 280s, but compared to the 160s, the treble was a bit brighter on the klipsch, and I felt the klipsch did better resolving small nuances.

The klipsch sound may just not be for you. Funny how you prefer the AAs to the klipsch, but I preferred the klipsch to the AAs. What's more interesting is my hearing is damn near perfect, still in my twenties and can hear all the way up to about 21.5khz, so you'd think brightness would be annoying to me.

using same songs over and over comparing the two sets. treble on the aams is a bit more forward, stronger, to me. i like that better. klipsch treble is brighter but sounds like its not at the same volume. if all that makes sense. also, there is more room filling bass on the klipsch of course, four 8" woofers, but the aams seem to go just as low. ive been just using youtube music videos on my denon x3300, connected to tv via optical.

now im wondering if i have the klispch in main zone, say volume is 80, and aams on zone 2, volume at 80, thats the same volume on both sets?
using denon x3300

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
using same songs over and over comparing the two sets. treble on the aams is a bit more forward, stronger, to me. i like that better. klipsch treble is brighter but sounds like its not at the same volume. if all that makes sense. also, there is more room filling bass on the klipsch of course, four 8" woofers, but the aams seem to go just as low. ive been just using youtube music videos on my denon x3300, connected to tv via optical.

now im wondering if i have the klispch in main zone, say volume is 80, and aams on zone 2, volume at 80, thats the same volume on both sets?
using denon x3300
Not likely. The klipsch is at least 10dB more efficient.
The aams measure pretty flat, so it's weird you find the treble more forward.

You could always use the klipsch for movies and the aams for music, since the dynamic range of the Klipsch excels for that.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Not likely. The klipsch is at least 10dB more efficient.
The aams measure pretty flat, so it's weird you find the treble more forward.

You could always use the klipsch for movies and the aams for music, since the dynamic range of the Klipsch excels for that.

Well, not quite. The Klipsch measure 90 dB, and the AA's 84.5 dB. Neither speaker is perfectly flat in the treble, so it's possible that two different people could disagree on which speaker is brighter.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
^Right. Also, perception of brightness or forwardness of the highs depends on dispersion as well as the on-axis response (and also on the content being played).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis