dennis murphy aam's

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I think you own one.
Did you test the sensitivity? Id be curious to see what you found.

From conversations with a klipsch engineer, their anechoic sensitivity is 4dB lower than their stated specs (they assume some room gain, right wrong or otherwise), which would put the rp-280f (the one OP owns) @94dB and the 160m (the one I own) @92dB.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Did you test the sensitivity? Id be curious to see what you found.

From conversations with a klipsch engineer, their anechoic sensitivity is 4dB lower than their stated specs (they assume some room gain, right wrong or otherwise), which would put the rp-280f (the one OP owns) @94dB and the 160m (the one I own) @92dB.

I don't believe the 160m has an anechoic sensitivity of 92 dB. If you have a multimeter and an SPL meter, you can test it to see if it matches Klipsch's specs. I would guess its sensitivity is in the upper 80s.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I don't believe the 160m has an anechoic sensitivity of 92 dB. If you have a multimeter and an SPL meter, you can test it to see if it matches Klipsch's specs. I would guess its sensitivity is in the upper 80s.
I don't have a multimeter that does true rms. I know the RP-150m measured 88dB from S&V, and when I replaced those with the 160ms, audyssey brought the trim down about 3dB, so I'd guess that's close to 91dB.

Could a regular rms multimeter work at all? It'd be nice to get a real in room sensitivity rating for my own purposes. As most of you know, I regularly watch movies at reference level, and probably do use a good deal of power to do so.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've only tested the 160 bookshelf. It was 90 dB anechoic, which is consistent with slightly higher readings for the tower speaker with twin woofers. I think it's pretty well known that the official specs, are, uh, special.
It's disappointing that they stretched the truth that much, they never used to be that off, only like 2-3dB. IIRC, the new RP series does have a bit better bass extension (which actually does seem fairly accurate by my measurements) than the older reference II series. Hoffmans iron law and all that...

Nice to know the real sensitivity though, thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis