Demand Honest Power Ratings in AV Receivers. Join our TiP Movement!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Sound United recently held its first ever North America dealer conference in New Orleans at the historic Hotel Monteleone in the heart of the city’s French Quarter. Gene DellaSala, Audioholics’ President, and I were invited along with about a dozen other journalists to take a deeper dive into Sound United’s portfolio of companies and products. We got an intimate look at Sound United's portfolio of products and technology and a sneak peek into the future. Check out our YouTube interviews with Classe, Denon and Marantz as well as our discussions about Sound United and our Truth in Power (TiP) movement.

IMG_0375.JPG

Read: Sound United First Annual Event and Interviews with Classe, Denon and Marantz

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gene, thanks for this informative video interview. I enjoyed the Classe one more, simply because that gentleman talked much less like a sales person than the Marantz and Denon rep.

The video got me interested enough to check out the specs of the Denon PMA 1600 NE integrated amp. By the way, did you know that the 140 W is only for 4 ohm load, measured with 1 kHz, at 0.7 % THD? It's 8 ohm rating is only 70 W, 20-20,000 Hz, 0.07% THD. The rep reminded me of Bestbuy lol.., I think I understand why you did ask him any technical questions.;)

It left me still wondering why Denon seem to market their higher end truly balanced end to end integrated amp that weighs nearly 70 lbs rated only 50 WPC in Japan (may be other nearby countries?) only. I guess they feel Marantz has already established a loyal base on that side of the equation in North America.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Gene has the Joe Buck glance-at-the-camera-nod down pat. Brilliant.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, thanks for this informative video interview. I enjoyed the Classe one more, simply because that gentleman talked much less like a sales person than the Marantz and Denon rep.

The video got me interested enough to check out the specs of the Denon PMA 1600 NE integrated amp. By the way, did you know that the 140 W is only for 4 ohm load, measured with 1 kHz, at 0.7 % THD? It's 8 ohm rating is only 70 W, 20-20,000 Hz, 0.07% THD. The rep reminded me of Bestbuy lol.., I think I understand why you did ask him any technical questions.;)

It left me still wondering why Denon seem to market their higher end truly balanced end to end integrated amp that weighs nearly 70 lbs rated only 50 WPC in Japan (may be other nearby countries?) only. I guess they feel Marantz has already established a loyal base on that side of the equation in North America.
Uggh no I didn't realize that. I thought the higher end 2CH stuff was immune from inflated power specs. I will bring it up if we cover those products.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Uggh no I didn't realize that. I thought the higher end 2CH stuff was immune from inflated power specs. I will bring it up if we cover those products.
Even their 67 lbs PMA-SX offers both real (50 W 8 ohm, 0.07% THD ), and inflated specs (100 W 4 ohm 1 kHz 0.7% THD) on their Japan website. Claimed "All stage balance amplifier", your favorite feature..

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hificomponents/amplifiers/pmasx&prev=search

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The reason is that Integrated amplifiers are sold largely outside of the USA....
And rating power @ 4 Ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, this type of amplifier power output disclosure is common for Euro, Asia & Oceania component products. Also note that these markets consume 90% of the integrated amplifiers sold by Denon and other primary audio brands.

For example, check out the Yamaha website for their specs for power output for integrated amplifiers.
Using the A-S2100 integrated amplifier as an example..
"Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe) 160W + 160W
High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)105/135/190/220W"

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s2100/specs.html#product-tabs

Just my $0.02... ;)

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve heard a good amp will nearly double power when ohms go from 8 to 4. Then why do some have the same rated power output at 4/6/8 ohms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The reason is that Integrated amplifiers are sold largely outside of the USA....
And rating power @ 4 Ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, this type of amplifier power output disclosure is common for Euro, Asia & Oceania component products. Also note that these markets consume 90% of the integrated amplifiers sold by Denon and other primary audio brands.

For example, check out the Yamaha website for their specs for power output for integrated amplifiers.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s2100/specs.html#product-tabs

Just my $0.02... ;)
If they want to accept that kind of misleading bullshit in other continents, in North America we don't necessarily have to. I am entirely in favor of obtaining published real honest output power and distortion ratings for power amplifiers and AV receivers as well.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Signed. I've had amps that had what I thought were "optimistic" power output ratings over the years since I started buying receivers, etc, back in 1971, but my latest one, a Yamaha, the last (for now) going back almost 40 years of having at least one receiver or AVR from them a TSR-7810 is just a joke. I had the same set up when I bought it, 6 SVS BK1 bookshelf speakers, an SVS center, and an old Sony sub. Before I got it, I was running it fine from my aging Yamaha RX-V659, which was outdated on video, but I got by with it, and it sounded fine. I jumped on a deal for the 7810, thinking the power output should be close enough to the 659's underrated output to run my speakers in the smallish room I had my theater in, and it would take care of my video needs for a few years. The first day, I was running YPAO, and was as disappointed as I was the first time I ran it however many years ago, IMHO, it just sounds bad. I was playing a movie, I think it was "Predator", and I cranked it up to my normal listening level, which isn't all that loud. I reached over it to move some cables and could feel the heat pouring out of it. A LOT of heat. I had the 659 for like 10+ years and it wasn't even working that hard and wasn't cooking itself to death. I knew someone with a 7810 and his ran insanely hot too. He had fans blowing on it and even took it out of the stand he had it in to let it get maximum room to vent the heat it generated. I bought an InfinityAir T8 to put on it and while it cooled it down, it didn't keep the transformer from getting insanely hot. I added an external old recapped Onkyo M508 amp to run the fronts and see those pretty green meters, and it enabled the 7810 to have a decent lifespan running just the center and surrounds. Then I moved and bought my present Polk LSiM 703 front L+R and Side surrounds, and a 706 center. It's barely making it, and I can make it shut down fairly easily in my apartment! And a scope on the outputs shows it's right on the edge of clipping if I watch a movie at even on increment up from my normal listening level (-25). The 7810 is being relegated to backup status, even though my 659 is still 100% functional and doesn't seem to strain running the polk center and surrounds,, and a Denon X4500 is replacing it. I'm looking for another amp to run the surrounds and center to keep the Denon happy, as I doubt the power is much more than the 7810's to be honest. Back 20 years ago, I had some old AR power sucking speakers front and rear on my old (much heavier) Yamaha AVR, and it played loud and clear, and I know the Polks I have now don't suck as much power as those larger ARs did back then.. I just remembered the model, RX-V1, a 60+ pound monster I bought used for about half the new price, it was supposed to be 100W a channel into 5, and I think back then, it was accurate, or close to it. It didn't cook itself to death, it died from a lightning strike and became a box that did nothing. Just for grins, I hooked up my 1972 vintage Panasonic SA-6500 receiver, which is rated at 50WPC, and in tests of it I did myself, it almost made it, it did 47WPC+, it ran the Polks fine and to be honest, sounded a lot better too, I don't know why. All it's had done to it was new PS caps and the sliding controls cleaned since it was new..

R

ricky124

Audiophyte
Wow, times have changed. Is the material to make better amps just not as accessible or are we just getting less value for our dollar? Or is it, how much can I stretch this AVR so I can make it look good in the outside, but it is a cheap on the inside, so I can sell it for more? Perceived value is key I guess.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Signed. I've had amps that had what I thought were "optimistic" power output ratings over the years since I started buying receivers, etc, back in 1971, but my latest one, a Yamaha, the last (for now) going back almost 40 years of having at least one receiver or AVR from them a TSR-7810 is just a joke. I had the same set up when I bought it, 6 SVS BK1 bookshelf speakers, an SVS center, and an old Sony sub. Before I got it, I was running it fine from my aging Yamaha RX-V659, which was outdated on video, but I got by with it, and it sounded fine. I jumped on a deal for the 7810, thinking the power output should be close enough to the 659's underrated output to run my speakers in the smallish room I had my theater in, and it would take care of my video needs for a few years. The first day, I was running YPAO, and was as disappointed as I was the first time I ran it however many years ago, IMHO, it just sounds bad. I was playing a movie, I think it was "Predator", and I cranked it up to my normal listening level, which isn't all that loud. I reached over it to move some cables and could feel the heat pouring out of it. A LOT of heat. I had the 659 for like 10+ years and it wasn't even working that hard and wasn't cooking itself to death. I knew someone with a 7810 and his ran insanely hot too. He had fans blowing on it and even took it out of the stand he had it in to let it get maximum room to vent the heat it generated. I bought an InfinityAir T8 to put on it and while it cooled it down, it didn't keep the transformer from getting insanely hot. I added an external old recapped Onkyo M508 amp to run the fronts and see those pretty green meters, and it enabled the 7810 to have a decent lifespan running just the center and surrounds. Then I moved and bought my present Polk LSiM 703 front L+R and Side surrounds, and a 706 center. It's barely making it, and I can make it shut down fairly easily in my apartment! And a scope on the outputs shows it's right on the edge of clipping if I watch a movie at even on increment up from my normal listening level (-25). The 7810 is being relegated to backup status, even though my 659 is still 100% functional and doesn't seem to strain running the polk center and surrounds,, and a Denon X4500 is replacing it. I'm looking for another amp to run the surrounds and center to keep the Denon happy, as I doubt the power is much more than the 7810's to be honest. Back 20 years ago, I had some old AR power sucking speakers front and rear on my old (much heavier) Yamaha AVR, and it played loud and clear, and I know the Polks I have now don't suck as much power as those larger ARs did back then.. I just remembered the model, RX-V1, a 60+ pound monster I bought used for about half the new price, it was supposed to be 100W a channel into 5, and I think back then, it was accurate, or close to it. It didn't cook itself to death, it died from a lightning strike and became a box that did nothing. Just for grins, I hooked up my 1972 vintage Panasonic SA-6500 receiver, which is rated at 50WPC, and in tests of it I did myself, it almost made it, it did 47WPC+, it ran the Polks fine and to be honest, sounded a lot better too, I don't know why. All it's had done to it was new PS caps and the sliding controls cleaned since it was new..
2507 characters without a single newline/paragraph. This may be a record :p
A lot of work goes into a post, if you break it up, folks may read it.

- Rich

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Maybe more integrated amps would be sold in the US if people weren't so effing interested in instant gratification and would have let B&M retailers survive, getting the info they need to make their decision. In far too few online sources, I see absolute BS being troweled around as fact, from people who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat as far as their knowledge and experience are concerned. These people then go online to complain that what they bought didn't meet their expectations and that's not only bad for other consumers, it's bad for the manufacturers.

That said, any manufacturer that hides details or makes false claims needs to have their noses rubbed in it, good and hard.

People who don't understand specs don't bother to read them, IMO and that leads to a lot of disappointed customers.

Tom Waits has a line in 'Step Right Up'- "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away".

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ve heard a good amp will nearly double power when ohms go from 8 to 4. Then why do some have the same rated power output at 4/6/8 ohms?

Because they don't want to pay to ship AVRs with a power supply that can handle low impedance loads. Until they start using ClassD power amps, that won't change.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, times have changed. Is the material to make better amps just not as accessible or are we just getting less value for our dollar? Or is it, how much can I stretch this AVR so I can make it look good in the outside, but it is a cheap on the inside, so I can sell it for more? Perceived value is key I guess.
RXV1 was like over $2000 new though.

I paid $900 for a $1400 RXV3300 that was a demo unit at one of the original Magnolia stores in Seattle (not a Best Buy). I just recently in 2016 replaced with a RXA2060. I needed lip sync for my 4K TV to have the sound match the video. I have it set at 43ms on the 2060.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

The amplifiers showing the same power output for various speaker impedances usually are tube amps that use a transformer in the output stage.

Normally, solid state amps will output more power at lower impedance loads. Theorically, the output power should double when halving the impedance load. But most power amps won't double their output power when switching speaker loads from 8 to 4 ohms. The performance depends on the power supply and a linear power supply is more expensive to produce.
If a SS amplifier cannot output more power at 4 ohms than at 8 ohms, it definitely has an inadequate power supply and I would stay away from it.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I demand they put power meters back on the front display. Umm sorry couldn't help myself.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis