Demand Honest Power Ratings in AV Receivers. Join our TiP Movement!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
For far too long manufacturers have been inflating power ratings in their AV receivers and HTiB products. The FTC has failed consumers in keeping this problem in check!

Audioholics is here to challenge BOTH manufacturers and consumers to demand more honest power ratings.

Sign our Truth in Power (TiP) Petition Today! (Let's keep them honest!)

The 1CH Driven, 6 ohm, 10% THD 1kHz Power spec needs to be terminated. Summing this inflated power figure by the # of channels needs to die a quick death. Help us end this madness!

In our opinion, ALL manufacturers should rate their AVRs as follows:
  1. 2CH Driven, Full Bandwidth , 8 ohms @ a specified % THD+N (recommended < 0.1%).
  2. 3CH driven @ 8 ohms @ a specified % THD+N with remaining channels driven at 1/8th power rating. (3CH driven should be > 70% 2CH driven power rating.)
  3. Specify maximum power consumption either in amps (ie. 10A) or actual power (ie. 1,200 watts).
We give more specifics in our article/proposal and hope that you take the time to read it and sign our Petition. Sound United is the largest entity of AV receiver manufacturing today and can lead the industry in change for the good. This article is a call to action to them and to you to voice your opinion on this topic.

power-main.jpg

Read: Can Sound United Bring Honesty Back in AV Receiver Power Ratings?

TIP-power.jpg

Sign our Truth in Power (TiP) Petition Today!

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I find a certain comfort in thinking I'm getting 200 watts of power to all 11 of my channels from the AVR from an overcrowded 15 amp outlet!

C

carlsonjw

Audiophyte
Gene,St

Great opinion piece. I think you hit the nail on the head. Straight from their own webpage "The Bureau of Consumer Protection's mandate is to protect consumers against unfair or deceptive acts or practices in commerce. With the written consent of the Commission, Bureau attorneys enforce federal laws related to consumer affairs and rules promulgated by the FTC."

I'm sure there has been some lobbying from the industry to allow them to present the specifications in this way. Either that or the FTC just doesn't think it is a big enough issue to want to step in and do something about it. Either way, they are failing the consumers. However, I will say that it is the consumer's responsibility to educate themselves on the specifications and performance of the amp or receiver as well. You wouldn't go and buy a Ford Grenada expecting it to perform like a Ferrari would you? Entities like the FTC should work to reign in false or misleading claims and press companies to advertise specifications that are more true to real world performance, but buyer beware! Don't be an idiot, learn about what you are purchasing, and know that if it sounds too good to be true, it is. And people like you with the information, knowledge, and ability to present it in a clear and understandable manner make that easier to do.

Keep up the good work. Really liked your conversation recently about the Denon AVR-X8500H. Have one coming this week! Can't wait.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,St

Great opinion piece. I think you hit the nail on the head. Straight from their own webpage "The Bureau of Consumer Protection's mandate is to protect consumers against unfair or deceptive acts or practices in commerce. With the written consent of the Commission, Bureau attorneys enforce federal laws related to consumer affairs and rules promulgated by the FTC."

I'm sure there has been some lobbying from the industry to allow them to present the specifications in this way. Either that or the FTC just doesn't think it is a big enough issue to want to step in and do something about it. Either way, they are failing the consumers. However, I will say that it is the consumer's responsibility to educate themselves on the specifications and performance of the amp or receiver as well. You wouldn't go and buy a Ford Grenada expecting it to perform like a Ferrari would you? Entities like the FTC should work to reign in false or misleading claims and press companies to advertise specifications that are more true to real world performance, but buyer beware! Don't be an idiot, learn about what you are purchasing, and know that if it sounds too good to be true, it is. And people like you with the information, knowledge, and ability to present it in a clear and understandable manner make that easier to do.

Keep up the good work. Really liked your conversation recently about the Denon AVR-X8500H. Have one coming this week! Can't wait.
Agreed. That's why this is ALSO a call to action to consumers. Knowledge is power (no pun intended).

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Glad you enjoyed the video and enjoy the X8500H! Thanks for supporting the Truth In Power initiative!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Greetings Gene!

Excellent text right to the point! I signed too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Signed!!!
I hope this doesn’t mean I don’t get to see HTIB’s and soundbars advertising 10,000 watts anymore! I always loved that...NOT.
@gene, great idea.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Signed!!!
I hope this doesn’t mean I don’t get to see HTIB’s and soundbars advertising 10,000 watts anymore! I always loved that...NOT.
@gene, great idea.
Hey if you need 10,000 watt speakers, check with me when you're done shopping! I have a GREAT deal for you! I'm in the white van parked outside...

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed. That's why this is ALSO a call to action to consumers. Knowledge is power (no pun intended).
Who will teach the masses what they need in order to understand what this means and why it's important? Not everyone is a member here or knows about this site.

Let's start by telling Beast Buy to stop adding the power from all channels and posting it on their item description card as a way to sell a 1350W AV receiver.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Who will teach the masses what they need in order to understand what this means and why it's important? Not everyone is a member here or knows about this site.

Let's start by telling Beast Buy to stop adding the power from all channels and posting it on their item description card as a way to sell a 1350W AV receiver.
First, the FTC must be educated! I suspect that is a large part of the problem.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am not sure how much the maximum power usage specification matters.
I'd like to see THD+N at 1 watt (and less) and minimum power usage which matters when you are worried about heat in the equipment rack.

Also, signed :)

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not sure how much the maximum power usage specification matters.
I'd like to see THD+N at 1 watt (and less) and minimum power usage which matters when you are worried about heat in the equipment rack.

Also, signed :)

- Rich
I listen to average of much less than 1 watt (often less than 0.25W),so I would like to see THD+N down to 0.05W.:D I think Gene wants to know the maximum power consumption so one can estimate the real maximum power output. If that's really what he is after, then we need that "maximum" power consumption figure to be qualified, by a stated realistic/reasonable THD, duration, and current. That is, something like:

Maximum power consumption: 1000 W, <1% THD, up to 1 second, into 4 ohms (or better still, something like current < 8 A per channel, at <50 A, all channels driven).

Yamaha's (RX-A2070/A3070)
Power Consumption.................................490 W
Maximum Power consumption...............1210 W

That's marginally better than just ...........490 W

S

Scars

Audiophyte
Signed.
I would also like to see 1W performance versus maximum W performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First, the FTC must be educated! I suspect that is a large part of the problem.
In the current environment, there isn't a good chance of the FTC passing a regulatory anything. It's not a matter of education, it is a matter of will.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis