Demand Dolby issue a new name of "ATMOS LITE" for sound bars that are 50% of true atmos at best.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Question about atmos: when 2 height speakers are used in a system with no rear surrounds just a traditional lcr front and two side surrounds…are my discs actually going to use the Atmos track? As in will the “objects” that would be placed in the rear surrounds get routed to the side surrounds? I’ve been curious about it. Building a new house and have the 5.1.2 system with in wall surrounds and height but those rear channels are likely not gonna fly. There’s an arch separating the great room from the kitchen so any speakers would need to be in wall up there 4 feet up from LP which to me feels like they’ll just get confused with the height channel.

could have probably stopped at “will 5.1.2 actually play the object based track”
Good questions. Atmos metadata is attached to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks on disc. If the processor/receiver supports Atmos, the display and/or info screen will show Atmos. No channel input info will be shown and dashes will be in the place of channel numbers when Atmos metadata is recognized. If no height or virtual height speakers are in use in a system, Atmos metadata is lost and the TrueHD 7.1 disc track is played without it and channel number information returns and usually displays as 3/4/1. Atmos output is designed to accommodate different speaker arrangements and try to achieve object placement as well as it can with a given system.

Atmos support is all over the place for sure. It can be supported well or not. I remember as a kid thinking anything with a "Turbo" badge must be fast and awesome. Then, I drove an 84 VW Rabbit Turbo Diesel.:( The 84 Renault Fuego wasn't better by much.:confused: They weren't as peppy or fun as the 84 Datsun 300ZX Turbo was, that's for sure.:)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Atmos support is all over the place for sure. It can be supported well or not. I remember as a kid thinking anything with a "Turbo" badge must be fast and awesome. Then, I drove an 84 VW Rabbit Turbo Diesel.:( The 84 Renault Fuego wasn't better by much.:confused: They weren't as peppy or fun as the 84 Datsun 300ZX Turbo was, that's for sure.:)
This is a good point. To most people, turbo means fast. To people who know anything about vehicles and engines, it's just something that makes the engine run depending on the configuration. My diesel truck has a turbo that can output more boost than a Ford GTs turbo setup, but one is CLEARLY much faster than the other.

Labels are marketing, even if they have actual meaning in the "real world".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good questions. Atmos metadata is attached to Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks on disc. If the processor/receiver supports Atmos, the display and/or info screen will show Atmos. No channel input info will be shown and dashes will be in the place of channel numbers when Atmos metadata is recognized. If no height or virtual height speakers are in use in a system, Atmos metadata is lost and the TrueHD 7.1 disc track is played without it and channel number information returns and usually displays as 3/4/1. Atmos output is designed to accommodate different speaker arrangements and try to achieve object placement as well as it can with a given system.

Just a quick addition here. The metadata isn’t lost. It’s just not decoded and used. And the sounds attached to the metadata are still in the soundtrack. They just get folded into it since those sounds have no way to be rendered to any XYZ coordinates which is what metadata is for. The core track still contains all the sounds.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Is it raining again?;) Right, it isn’t lost or discarded, it just doesn’t get used. The bed layer channels also have the sounds assigned to them but, without atmos metadata, is processed just like it would be on a non atmos system using channel assigned sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is it raining again?;) Right, it isn’t lost or discarded, it just doesn’t get used. The bed layer channels also have the sounds assigned to them but, without atmos metadata, is processed just like it would be on a non atmos system using channel assigned sound.
Haha! Right?!?! Should I get my beer glass, or umbrella? Lmao!!!!!
I believe we’re saying the same thing. Just in a different way. Is that what they call semantics?
Good news my friend. 2021 is almost Fukking over. Good riddance to this bitchh.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I think we're on the same page. I’m still puzzled by Atmos behavior when streamed over Dolby Digital Plus. Doesn’t behave like Atmos over TrueHD disc when height or virtual height speakers aren’t used. Eh, whatever. Oh, and you should get your slicker.:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I think we're on the same page. I’m still puzzled by Atmos behavior when streamed over Dolby Digital Plus. Doesn’t behave like Atmos over TrueHD disc when height or virtual height speakers aren’t used. Eh, whatever. Oh, and you should get your slicker.:D
Damnit!!! I wanted my beer glass…..
I kinda wish I could try out the virtual thing against my in ceiling. Sorry daddy war bucks, I’ll have you observe all the variations vicariously. When you say it doesn’t behave the same. How do you mean exactly?
I’ll probably understand in the morning once I read it back. Lol!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
With streaming, when turning height or virtual height speakers off, atmos is still indicated as the incoming signal and input channel info is still blank. It does not change to Dolby Digital Plus like discs change to Dolby TrueHD.

Anybody with a receiver that has Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X capabilities can compare the process to the use of real height speakers by simply setting all height speakers to NONE. Assign amps for a 5.1 or 7.1 system. Then, turn virtual speakers ON. The receiver will use all 5 or 7 speakers in the setup to create the immersive effect. Atmos won’t “sound” too different but will not feel as immersive. Things are different with DTS Virtual:X and it takes on a “sound” of it’s own.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thanks! Not to hijack this thread…but follow up question there. That room will have obviously only 1 “row” with the row being near the back. Wondering where the 4 would go? 2 fore and 2 aft? The 2 aft atmos speakers would need to go basically right up against the arch separating the rooms. The room will look similar to this (best I could find that looks like it). Wouldn’t theproximity To that boundary create more issues than anything else? Was planning to just have the 2 directly above the couch position.
View attachment 52731
Sigh. It is obvious from that picture that you did not have grandkids visiting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sigh. It’s obvious you continue to nip at the “egg nog”, what with quoting a post about a room that doesn’t exist yet, for which the poster produced a “for example” pic.That must be a good ol’ family recipe. Now, pass that s#%t over here.;)

squaleca

squaleca

Enthusiast
the problem is you hear a soundbar which isnt good and assume that all soundbars are poop try listening to a calibrated high en soundbar thats setup properly in the specific room. and your opion wont change b/c you've spent to much money on your full system but take a neutral obvserver who isnt bias one way or the other and the high end soundbars will blow them away.... now i do agree atmos on high end soundbar cant compete with high end avr's but they still sound amazing like mind boggling amazing

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
the problem is you hear a soundbar which isnt good and assume that all soundbars are poop try listening to a calibrated high en soundbar thats setup properly in the specific room. and your opion wont change b/c you've spent to much money on your full system but take a neutral obvserver who isnt bias one way or the other and the high end soundbars will blow them away.... now i do agree atmos on high end soundbar cant compete with high end avr's but they still sound amazing like mind boggling amazing
You obviously have no experience beyond a soundbar. Too bad. You seem to have nothing worth contributing. Have fun with your soundbar. You know, with its super deep extension and superb imaging and crazy dynamic range. Maybe they should install them in REAL MOVIE THEATERS!!!!!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What exactly is a high end soundbar in your opinion?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Full of hot air?

You think it's the best thing ever until you've had the real thing?
Apparently if you close you’re eyes you can’t tell!
But what’s real anyways?
According to our friend here, just sample it and send it back if you don’t like it.
I’m not sure how they’d feel about having to restock a “happy holly” doll full of man gravy!!!
I’m sure there’s some synergy in there somewhere. Reminds me of when I sampled my first Russian wife…then sent her back.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis