Can i get better than apple homepods for Dolby Atmos?

J

jack zz

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have ATV 4k and Sony KD-75XF9005 TV. I bought a pair of Apple Homepod (not the mini) to replace an old KEF sound bar i had so I can get Dolby Atmos. They have far more clarity but I was expecting a more submersive surround sound. Its great sound but only infront 0f me, nothing really gets to me or over and to the sides of me. Can I get better or am i expecting too much without building a true home theater?

To keep compliant with the missus if i upgrade again i need to get another soundbar so it visually looks like how it used to and could sneak in some rear speakers if wireless from the soundbar. But no big receivers and floor speakers and cables everywhere etc.

As my TV isnt eARC i understand i need to connect the ATV 4K into the soundbar and then make sure the soundbar is compatible to pass through the dolby vision 4k to the TV. Then set the ATV to use the soundbar as default sound output.

I want it this way as well as my missus hates loud noises so when she watches terestrial TV or a DVD she will want it just playing on the TV speakers so i will connect the DVD directly into the TV and set the TV to use internal speakers.

My room is large open plan L shaped with high ceiling (see below attached). Can the Ambeo handle this, will it fill the area where we sit with sound for movies. Or is there a better solution? I was looking at Bluesound setup as it has rear speakers but their sub doesnt have multiple HDMI and my TV doesnt have eARC for supporting Dolby Atmos.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi,

I have ATV 4k and Sony KD-75XF9005 TV. I bought a pair of Apple Homepod (not the mini) to replace an old KEF sound bar i had so I can get Dolby Atmos. They have far more clarity but I was expecting a more submersive surround sound. Its great sound but only infront 0f me, nothing really gets to me or over and to the sides of me. Can I get better or am i expecting too much without building a true home theater?

To keep compliant with the missus if i upgrade again i need to get another soundbar so it visually looks like how it used to and could sneak in some rear speakers if wireless from the soundbar. But no big receivers and floor speakers and cables everywhere etc.

As my TV isnt eARC i understand i need to connect the ATV 4K into the soundbar and then make sure the soundbar is compatible to pass through the dolby vision 4k to the TV. Then set the ATV to use the soundbar as default sound output.

I want it this way as well as my missus hates loud noises so when she watches terestrial TV or a DVD she will want it just playing on the TV speakers so i will connect the DVD directly into the TV and set the TV to use internal speakers.

My room is large open plan L shaped with high ceiling (see below attached). Can the Ambeo handle this, will it fill the area where we sit with sound for movies. Or is there a better solution? I was looking at Bluesound setup as it has rear speakers but their sub doesnt have multiple HDMI and my TV doesnt have eARC for supporting Dolby Atmos.
That Apple Homepod violates around a trillion laws of physics. The is no way to make sounds come from front sides rear and above unless they do!

With your constraints, it is a hopeless case. In addition open plan rooms are not really suitable for convincing HT system installations. Speaker placement for Atmos theaters is actually critical. To do a really convincing job, takes a dedicated room, and significant dollars. In your situation you need a theater/mancave.

Actually of you ever get round do doing it right, your wife may well enjoy it. I find that women are highly adverse to poor high power systems. They are far more intolerant of frequency response errors and distortion than men are, I find.

J

jack zz

Audiophyte
oh. i dont want to be that serious.Just enhance what i have. i read about these new Sony HT-A9 that are supposed to work in open spaces. or my local shop is trying to sell me Bluesound pulse soundbar + sub + 2 rears. All around the same price. What do you think? thanks

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome! You'll find few here who will spare your feelings or any change. They are more concerned with spare ribs and big speakers and subs. They can be ornery, but they aren't wrong.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
oh. i dont want to be that serious.Just enhance what i have. i read about these new Sony HT-A9 that are supposed to work in open spaces. or my local shop is trying to sell me Bluesound pulse soundbar + sub + 2 rears. All around the same price. What do you think? thanks
My advice is to run fast in the opposite direction from nonsense like that. That has as much just of being any good as you jumping to the moon.

I would bet that is a really expensive piece of junk, that will be a five minute wonder. I would point out that the sub is extra.

For you I would recommend this small receiver, and a pair of good bookshelf speakers. That will be far superior to trying to bounce sound waves of the walls and ceiling, which you can't do effectively.

I have heard these speakers and they are superb.

If you buy that Sony contraption, I would bet heavily on it being in the recycling center within 18 months, contributing to the scandalous glut of electronic pollution.

That approach will be far superior and more satisfying, and give you are much more rewarding experience. In your situation that is the best way to proceed. You can easily add a small sub if you wish.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Normally I would stay out of a conversation like this one because as TLS Guy points out it will most likely not turn out too well. Here's the issue from someone that has completely disassembled a 5.1 HT system and now just uses a 2.1 Stereo system like @TLS Guy recommended. Doing something half-ass rarely pleases anyone. in a HT system its particularly true. But doing something simpler and doing it well has a very good chance of succeeding.
That's what stepping back to a 2.1 or stereo setup can let you do. Do something simpler, but do it extremely well.
You have a shot that way. I love the way my setup sounds and it just works.

YMMV. no opinions were injured in the formation of this reply.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis