Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the help on the center matching - i think ill just chase down a 3000

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
Can someone PM me a place to get the CS8080 cheap - all my local places are gone

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
OK -- looking at their new designs/specs/pricing -- the respect I had for this company is diminishing quickly.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
OK -- looking at their new designs/specs/pricing -- the respect I had for this company is diminishing quickly.
Could you say more about this? I'm really liking my new StudioMonitor 450's.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Could you say more about this? I'm really liking my new StudioMonitor 450's.
I think AVRat was referring to the NEWER designs; the SM450 is the "older" design, which was highly approved by The Audio Critic.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I think AVRat was referring to the NEWER designs; the SM450 is the "older" design, which was highly approved by The Audio Critic.
That's what I thought. I wanted to know if I should be listening for something that may not sound right. These sound right. I'm very happy with them.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
That's what I meant. I don't know, maybe it's me, but the new designs are just not doing anything for me, fewer drivers, smaller drivers , etc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's what I thought. I wanted to know if I should be listening for something that may not sound right. These sound right. I'm very happy with them.
I don't like the new aesthetics either; I prefer the "older" aesthetics of the PM-series, SM-series, BP7000-series, & CLR-series.

I have not heard the newer models, but I'm sure they sound just fine.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
SM 450 Set Up ?

This (SM 450) speaker has a 10" Low Bass radiator. I have my speakers set up a little more than 5' from each other with the 10" bass radiator pointing out away from the other. Is there a particular way to set these up? Should I have the bass radiators pointing in toward each other?
Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This (SM 450) speaker has a 10" Low Bass radiator. I have my speakers set up a little more than 5' from each other with the 10" bass radiator pointing out away from the other. Is there a particular way to set these up? Should I have the bass radiators pointing in toward each other?
Is it just a matter of personal preference?

Thanks.
I believe I had the SM450s' bass radiators facing each other (inward, away from wall).

You can try both ways and see.

A

awdio

Audioholic Intern
I prefer banana plugs because they give you a minimum of eight points of contact where bare wire and pins are limited to two. I also use 12 gauge on mine, but 14 or even 16 will be just fine depending on distance. The general consesus is to just use speaker wire and have the speakers internal crossover handle the seperation between upper, mid and lows. I have tried both ways and have found that ordinary speaker wire connection is best and easiest to use.

F

FalconX

Audiophyte
Anyone have the inwall references Def Techs? Have a 7.1 in my main room all In wall reference except center channel. Center is still in wall def tech just not reference series due to studs

Looking to add the reference series but would need to cut out the studs and create a frame to house within the wall. Then sheet rock and repaint

Main reason for the attempt is to increase clarity and sound stage from center. Would this help or too much work for minimum gain??

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
Currently have a CLR2500 but it’s paired with Mirage Omni 260’s for mains, CSW Tower II’s for surrounds and Pro Cinema 600’s for top middles all being ran by a Denon X3300W. The CLR2500 is the first center channel I’ve ever owned that actually blew me away, and I’ve been trying to find a deal on a pair of 2002’s or 8020’s but it seems like a lot of people on Fleabay assume their 8-10 year old speakers are still worth 75% of the retail value which seems a little off to me. So for the time being I’ll have to be patient. I almost got a pair of the SM350’s but after hearing them I still prefer the Omni 260’s. I just snagged a Prosub 800 in the factory packaging for $92 shipped and my plan is to run it speaker level into the Omni 260’s so at least I can run all 3 main speakers in full range mode as right now the CLR is crossed over at 40hz because the X3300W won’t let me set the CC to large without setting the mains to large and they sound....not large when set that way. I think the 800 has a fixed 80hz LPF so that should be fine. Any input is welcome!

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Hey Everyone,

Just curious to see who all owns Definitve Technology speakers.

So post you rigs, Text and/ or pics.

Also any trouble shooting or general Definitive Tech questions here.

~Bob
Wow, old Thread! Didn't notice poor ole Bob got the hatchet.

Last edited:
Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
I believe I had the SM450s' bass radiators facing each other (inward, away from wall).

You can try both ways and see.
ADTG, man you went through some gear huh? Lolo. Plus you definitely a Old Old Timer up in here..:D

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Currently have a CLR2500 but it’s paired with Mirage Omni 260’s for mains, CSW Tower II’s for surrounds and Pro Cinema 600’s for top middles all being ran by a Denon X3300W. The CLR2500 is the first center channel I’ve ever owned that actually blew me away, and I’ve been trying to find a deal on a pair of 2002’s or 8020’s but it seems like a lot of people on Fleabay assume their 8-10 year old speakers are still worth 75% of the retail value which seems a little off to me. So for the time being I’ll have to be patient. I almost got a pair of the SM350’s but after hearing them I still prefer the Omni 260’s. I just snagged a Prosub 800 in the factory packaging for $92 shipped and my plan is to run it speaker level into the Omni 260’s so at least I can run all 3 main speakers in full range mode as right now the CLR is crossed over at 40hz because the X3300W won’t let me set the CC to large without setting the mains to large and they sound....not large when set that way. I think the 800 has a fixed 80hz LPF so that should be fine. Any input is welcome!
The guy your looking for on this would be PENG, he is a Jedi Master and very well respected in here.

S

sk8nerd

Audiophyte
Bumping this old thread before starting a new one...

First post here, completely overhauling our home theater and looking for some advice on an AVR. Currently I have a 3.2 system with BP2000 towers (built in 300w 15" subs) for left and right and a CLR 2000 center, no surrounds at the moment. I need an AVR with multiple HDMI 2.1 slots for a 4k Apple TV, PS5 (when I can get one) and future stuff. It seems like the Onkyo TX-RZ50 is the only thing that fits my needs as it has multiple HDMI 2.1 slots for 4k @ 120fps

My question is will it be enough to power the BP2000s? Ive read that these speakers are power hungry but I've never used anything other than an all in one AVR. Will using the pre out with an additional amp be beneficial? I bought the speakers used for a good deal over the summer and have been using a bare bones Denon AVR-S540BT (70w per channel) as a band aid receiver until the chip shortage is over and can find an AVR with multiple HDMI 2.1. Uses will be based around a brand new a Sony 4k 65" LED LCD capable of 120fps and will be used for blasting movies, video games and music in a fairly small and open family room. I would prefer to have an all in one AVR but if more power would significantly improve sound quality I might be open to that route. Thanks!

The RZ50 specs are:
250 W/Ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD, 1 channel driven) 120 W/Ch (8 ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 channels driven, FTC).

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis