Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

itschris

itschris

That blows about the boxes.. let us know how it all turns out.

I dug through several pages, but didn't see anything... but I know this has been beat to death, but after my call to DefTech and them mentioning this just in passing during our convo, I thought I'd quickly ask. They're saying for the powered towers, not to use the LFE. I have mine setup with a Y connnector. What are you guys doing?

I'm pulling my system apart to put in my new BD player and I figured while I'm back there I might consider pulling the LFE cable out and doing what they suggest.

itschris

itschris

SEARCH is my friend. I think I'm going to go LFE-less and see what happens.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That blows about the boxes.. let us know how it all turns out.

I dug through several pages, but didn't see anything... but I know this has been beat to death, but after my call to DefTech and them mentioning this just in passing during our convo, I thought I'd quickly ask. They're saying for the powered towers, not to use the LFE. I have mine setup with a Y connnector. What are you guys doing?

I'm pulling my system apart to put in my new BD player and I figured while I'm back there I might consider pulling the LFE cable out and doing what they suggest.
I'm just using simple speaker wires to my BP7000 & & 7001, no LFE inputs. I've tried the LFE inputs in the past, but I could not even tell a difference, so I think simple is best.

itschris

itschris

I'm just using simple speaker wires to my BP7000 & & 7001, no LFE inputs. I've tried the LFE inputs in the past, but I could not even tell a difference, so I think simple is best.
I had the most well conceived intentions last night but.. I ended up drinking too much wine last night. I plopped myself on the floor, pushed the big BDI cabinet from the wall... took one look at the mess of wires, and just sat there... and finished another glass of wine until my daughter came over with that "you're retarded" look perfected by every teenager, and asked, "Why are you sitting behind the TV?" At that point I just got up and transitioned to the hot tub outside.

I'm shooting for a more productive Thursday.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Disappointed

One of the speakers was damaged. I was too disappointed to hook them up. The cover is torn and there are some scratches on the center post.

This has nothing to do with Definitive or their products. Not sure what happened or who's responsible, Vann's or UPS.
Called Vann's and I'm returning them.

View attachment 9174

View attachment 9173

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
At that point I just got up and transitioned to the hot tub outside.
OUTSIDE ???

It's MINUS 2 degrees outside where I live.:eek:

But yeah, I know what you mean about those cables. They can be very overwhelming.:D

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
I don't see a stand-alone sub in your setup, if not then leave the LFE hooked up to the towers to receive that full discrete signal.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see a stand-alone sub in your setup, if not then leave the LFE hooked up to the towers to receive that full discrete signal.
I would just set the front L/R speakers to Full Range/Large on the AVR, and have the AVR send all LFE to the BP7002s.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One of the speakers was damaged. I was too disappointed to hook them up. The cover is torn and there are some scratches on the center post.

This has nothing to do with Definitive or their products. Not sure what happened or who's responsible, Vann's or UPS.
Called Vann's and I'm returning them.
Sad, but UPS is known for this all the time.

I would keep the positive attitude and view this as a blessing in disguise.:D

I had to send a Pioneer SACD player back to Vanns once because it would not play one of my SACDs right - lack of firmware from Pioneer. Customer service was nice.

itschris

itschris

Even without a dedicated sub, they suggest just hooking up with speaker wire and let the speakers route the base. They even mention how now believes them when they suggest it, but I figure they ought to know.

itschris

itschris

OUTSIDE ???

It's MINUS 2 degrees outside where I live.:eek:

But yeah, I know what you mean about those cables. They can be very overwhelming.:D
HA! It was about 60 last night. Perfect for sitting out.

At one point, I had everything so perfect, but I've moved stuff and added stuff and now the cables seem to be in complete chaos for some reason. I'm just going to yank everything and start from scratch. It's a good exercise now and then to do that anyway. Also, it will be a couple of cables cleaner without the LFE lines there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
At one point, I had everything so perfect, but I've moved stuff and added stuff and now the cables seem to be in complete chaos for some reason. I'm just going to yank everything and start from scratch. It's a good exercise now and then to do that anyway. Also, it will be a couple of cables cleaner without the LFE lines there.
I think cables have little feet and they move around whenever you're not looking.:eek:

I twist/wrap the cables around one another. I basically have one large spiral cable down the middle of my rack - looks kind of like a big braided cable.:D

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
Cable compromise...

I have saved alot of $$$ on obtaining better quality speaker cables. My wife won't allow any cables in plain sight between my towers and my stereo rack so I had to go with 12 ga. wire and push it under the end of the carpet where it edges up to the wall boards(trim).

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

I think cables have little feet and they move around whenever you're not looking.:eek:

I twist/wrap the cables around one another. I basically have one large spiral cable down the middle of my rack - looks kind of like a big braided cable.:D
Well... I took everything apart... litterally unhooked everything and laid it all out. I can't get mine quite the neat because my stuff sits in that BDI cabinet so I got stuff vertical and horizontal, plus my network stuff comes in the same spot. I got thing cleaned up. More than anything I just cleaned. Lots of dust. I'm trying to figure out how dust get under my tv.. it's just bizarre. Anyway... I was doing pretty good but got a little sloppy at the end. It's a lot better than it was. I got a lot bundled, but it could use another run through... some other day. I got the new LG player installed. It's awesome. I love the streaming capabilities. It's great.

Now... I did drop the LFE cables. I got to listen to a little bit of Diana Krall's live DVD in 5.1. I have to say music sounded a little more balanced just using the speaker wire and letting the speakers route the bass.

I'm anxious to try out movies though. for some reason I can't get it through my head... if the LFE channel is supposed to receive directed signal from the disc, I'm assuming if the LFE is absent, it just combines it with the left and right channels. So I guess when it does that, the crossover do their job and route the bass to the subs... so nothing's lost or not heard as intended correct?

I don't I'll have to hear to believe it i guess. I'm tired. I'm hittin the hay.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now... I did drop the LFE cables. I got to listen to a little bit of Diana Krall's live DVD in 5.1. I have to say music sounded a little more balanced just using the speaker wire and letting the speakers route the bass.

I'm anxious to try out movies though. for some reason I can't get it through my head... if the LFE channel is supposed to receive directed signal from the disc, I'm assuming if the LFE is absent, it just combines it with the left and right channels. So I guess when it does that, the crossover do their job and route the bass to the subs... so nothing's lost or not heard as intended correct?
As long as you set the receiver to NO SUB & Front Left/Right to LARGE, the receiver will have no choice but send 100% of the LFE to the Front Left/Right.

I also believe that these speakers' crossovers ability to manage the bass is better and smoother than most receiver out there for both music and movies.

itschris

itschris

As long as you set the receiver to NO SUB & Front Left/Right to LARGE, the receiver will have no choice but send 100% of the LFE to the Front Left/Right.

I also believe that these speakers' crossovers ability to manage the bass is better and smoother than most receiver out there for both music and movies.
Well.. I did some demos this morning. It sounds noticiably different... more blended I think. I even just plugged the LFE cables back in, reset everything just to see. It's definately different. Maybe the crossover points or different I don't know, but I yanked the cables again and it just sounds more integrated.

I'll just note that I did some listening of Pandora on the new LG and I was shocked at how good it sounds.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well.. I did some demos this morning. It sounds noticiably different... more blended I think. I even just plugged the LFE cables back in, reset everything just to see. It's definately different. Maybe the crossover points or different I don't know, but I yanked the cables again and it just sounds more integrated.

I'll just note that I did some listening of Pandora on the new LG and I was shocked at how good it sounds.
That has been my experience too. I think the speakers' crossovers just do a better and smoother more integrated job than the receivers.

Like they say, if it sounds great for music, it will sound great for movies too.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe the crossover points or different I don't know, but I yanked the cables again and it just sounds more integrated.

Admittedly, a bit off topic. But, I have been exploring my speaker options, though I've possibly settled on the SM450's, I looked at Anthony Gallo speakers, the sphere things, and they don't use crossovers in their speakers. I wonder if this something other speaker companies have played with this idea.
I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages of having a crossover would be.

Two-four inch dynamic hyperbolic carbon fiber drivers optimized to integrate seamlessly with the CDT tweeter without the need for a cross-over.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Admittedly, a bit off topic. But, I have been exploring my speaker options, though I've possibly settled on the SM450's, I looked at Anthony Gallo speakers, the sphere things, and they don't use crossovers in their speakers. I wonder if this something other speaker companies have played with this idea.
I wonder what the advantages/disadvantages of having a crossover would be.

Two-four inch dynamic hyperbolic carbon fiber drivers optimized to integrate seamlessly with the CDT tweeter without the need for a cross-over.
Here are a few reviews of Anthony Gallo speakers from Home Theater:

A'Diva Ti:

Five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses measures +1.45/–3.97 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/anthony-gallo-acoustics-adiva-ti-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

Anthony Gallo Acoustics Reference:
Five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +3.33/–4.04 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

Reference 3 speakers:

Five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +2.86/–4.54 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/anthony-gallo-acoustics-reference-3-speaker-system-and-arcam-avr300-av-receiver-and-dv79-dv-1

My opinion is that I would not guy any of these speakers.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis