Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

W

wave

Audiophyte
help. Please

:confused:I have def tech 7006 front speakers, a klipsch c2 center speaker, klipsch ksw 10 sub woofer. My question is my denon 1707 reciever enough to get all the potential out of my speakers. When i crank it up it is ok but not as booming as I thought. If i upgrade my reciever to a pioneer vsx 1019ah-k reciever will that make a difference? I only have 3.1 system could I route more power to my speakers with the extra watts left over?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
How do you connect the BP7004 to my receiver (My receiver is 7.2 denon 2311)? Theres only 2 cable LFE connections on my receiver.
How can I hook up my pro sub 1000 to to center speaker CLR2002?
Can someone provide me a detailed step by step connection procedure for this kind of set up.

Sorry so long to answer this, don't visit as much as I'd like. To hook up a prosub 1000 to your LCR2002 only. Get some speaker wire and run the wire from your recievers center out to the prosub 1000 speaker wire input, then another set of speaker wire from the prosub 1000 speaker wire output to the LCR2002 (red to red, black to black) go into your recievers setup menu and sset the center channel to Small and crossover at 40hz. What this does is send a the center signal from 40Hz - 20kHz through the sub, the sub will extract only 40-80hz and send that great mid bass out of the prosub via the subs internal crossover and then automatically send everything above 80 Hz to the center speaker.

By doing this, if you have great mains that are crossed at 40hz your center with the attached prosub will now be able to keep up and also get down to 40hz. I do this with my LCR2002 and have a Prosub 1000 and they easily keep up with m,y BP7001s also crossed at 40hz to my outboard sub. so you get the benefit of having great tight well controlled mid bass out of your fronts and center and if you have a great outboard sub (not counting the Prosub 1000 which is just hooked up to the center) than your outboard sub will handle just the real low end below 40hz and since the outboard sub doesnt have to recreate the mid bass it has more power to handle the bass below 40hz. It is more room filling and you get the best of both mid bass and deep bass. Enjoy.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
:confused:I have def tech 7006 front speakers, a klipsch c2 center speaker, klipsch ksw 10 sub woofer. My question is my denon 1707 reciever enough to get all the potential out of my speakers. When i crank it up it is ok but not as booming as I thought. If i upgrade my reciever to a pioneer vsx 1019ah-k reciever will that make a difference? I only have 3.1 system could I route more power to my speakers with the extra watts left over?
How big is your room?

I was powering my BP7000s + CLR3000 + BP7001 with a HK 50WPC AVR in a 15' x 16' x 15' room, and they sounded great.

If your room is similar, then I think your AVR will do just fine.

How far do you have the BP7006s from the front and side walls?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
AcuDefTech, was gonna say congrats to getting Sandy Gross to finally respond to you personally over at AVS, way to get him out of the shadows.

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
For any Def Tech owners..............how far away from the walls do you have your speakers? I want to replace my Paradigm's with 7004's but am concerned that there will not be any improvement because I only have approximately 4" from the wall.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
For any Def Tech owners..............how far away from the walls do you have your speakers? I want to replace my Paradigm's with 7004's but am concerned that there will not be any improvement because I only have approximately 4" from the wall.
I have my 7002's about 6"-8" away from my wall and it sounds great in my room but my room is a little complicated do to haveing a vaulted ceiling and on the left of the room there is no wall it is open to the downstaris and my system sounds great. I could only imagime what it would sound like in a normal room with 4 walls and a 9' ceiling.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sandy Gross's Response to my post

AcuDefTech, was gonna say congrats to getting Sandy Gross to finally respond to you personally over at AVS, way to get him out of the shadows.
Originally Posted by Sandy Gross on AVS Forum:

Hi, I normally don't get involved in these forums, although I enjoy reading them. However, when someone says that I am out of my mind, I think that it is time to step in. I assume that, based on your screen name, you must like the previous speakers that I have created, which is gratifying and appreciated. When I read some of your statements I suppose that I can understand them, to some degree, because you have not seen or heard the new speakers. Let me assure you that the Triton Two Tower is absolutely nothing like a "rebadged Mythos" and believe me, I should know as I designed both. The Triton Tower is a different size and shape and ID, different cosmetics, constructed of different materials and a totally different construction, different finish, different drivers (wait until you hear the new tweeter, you will flip out, as listeners did yesterday, see Darryl's Wilkinson's blog post on Home Theater entitled" Are Domes Done?), different and much, much more powerful sub amp, different sonic signature etc. etc. I could go on and on. The Mythos ST and STS are great speakers. The Triton Two is much better. This was absolutely the response of the dealers and press who came by yesterday at the show and I hope and expect that it will be your reaction too when you have an opportunity to hear the Triton. Most people continue to get better and better at what they do as they continue to learn and get more experience and you can see and hear this as you follow my speakers over the last 38 years. I think that I can confidently say that the Triton Tower is the best yet. And yes, the tweeter is a new and updated version of the Heil. It is fantastic and we are seeing similar designs showing up in some very high-end speakers including the mega-buck Lyngdorf-Steinway. Wait until you hear it. Sandy Gross

I posted this after Sandy Gross's reply:

The so-called "16Hz" response tranlates in the real world to about "36Hz @ 90dB from 1 meter distance".

I mean SERIOUSLY.

This is the one of the areas that have given DefTech a BAD NAME!!!

And GoldenEar Tech is doing the same thing!

They need to specify the TOLERANCE +/-3dB; otherwise it is 100% WORTHLESS!!!!

To say that the Triton2's response is 36Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB @ 90dB 1w/m means 100% MORE than saying it is "16Hz-20kHz" or whatever.

I would hope that Sandy Gross would put an END to this ridiculous marketing tactic!

Otherwise, I will stand my statement that "Sandy Gross has lost his mind!"

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have my 7002's about 6"-8" away from my wall and it sounds great in my room but my room is a little complicated do to haveing a vaulted ceiling and on the left of the room there is no wall it is open to the downstaris and my system sounds great. I could only imagime what it would sound like in a normal room with 4 walls and a 9' ceiling.
If you could pull them out to 18" from the walls, they may sound even better.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Originally Posted by Sandy Gross on AVS Forum:

Hi, I normally don't get involved in these forums, although I enjoy reading them. However, when someone says that I am out of my mind, I think that it is time to step in. I assume that, based on your screen name, you must like the previous speakers that I have created, which is gratifying and appreciated. When I read some of your statements I suppose that I can understand them, to some degree, because you have not seen or heard the new speakers. Let me assure you that the Triton Two Tower is absolutely nothing like a "rebadged Mythos" and believe me, I should know as I designed both. The Triton Tower is a different size and shape and ID, different cosmetics, constructed of different materials and a totally different construction, different finish, different drivers (wait until you hear the new tweeter, you will flip out, as listeners did yesterday, see Darryl's Wilkinson's blog post on Home Theater entitled" Are Domes Done?), different and much, much more powerful sub amp, different sonic signature etc. etc. I could go on and on. The Mythos ST and STS are great speakers. The Triton Two is much better. This was absolutely the response of the dealers and press who came by yesterday at the show and I hope and expect that it will be your reaction too when you have an opportunity to hear the Triton. Most people continue to get better and better at what they do as they continue to learn and get more experience and you can see and hear this as you follow my speakers over the last 38 years. I think that I can confidently say that the Triton Tower is the best yet. And yes, the tweeter is a new and updated version of the Heil. It is fantastic and we are seeing similar designs showing up in some very high-end speakers including the mega-buck Lyngdorf-Steinway. Wait until you hear it. Sandy Gross

Wow!

I am a GENIUS for getting Sandy Gross to PERSONALLY respond to my post!!!
Sounds like you either pissed him off or he was happy that he has a follower the represents his original line and loves them so much. Im for one that likes the DefTech stuff and am a big fan of it too.

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic

Is that the suggested distance from the walls? I simply do not have that kind of space & wonder how they would sound at a distance of only 4" or so and angled in toward the center of the room

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
Ok Ill have to try that tonight and see how they sound. Do you think that will make a dif at all tho? Whouldnt I loose sound do tho the fact that the sound would have to travel farther away tho?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok Ill have to try that tonight and see how they sound. Do you think that will make a dif at all tho? Whouldnt I loose sound do tho the fact that the sound would have to travel farther away tho?
I can only speak from my personal experience, but it made an extraordinary difference going from 6" to 18" away from the front walls.

Same thing with the side walls - keep them away from the side walls as possible.

And aim the active subs towards each other - away from the side walls.

My BP7000SCs are set 3' from the front wall and side walls.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that the suggested distance from the walls? I simply do not have that kind of space & wonder how they would sound at a distance of only 4" or so and angled in toward the center of the room
You have to play with the placement, but the general rule of thumb is to place your speakers AWAY from the front and side walls.

I think it makes a bigger difference with dipole/bipole speakers than mono-pole direct-radiating speakers.

However, even Revel recommends placing their mono-pole Ultima2 speakers 3' from the front & side walls.

But if you are space-limited, then you just have to do the best you can and compromise. It may sound just fine to you with minimal wall distance.

B

bmurphy2121

Audioholic
I can only speak from my personal experience, but it made an extraordinary difference going from 6" to 18" away from the front walls.

Same thing with the side walls - keep them away from the side walls as possible.

And aim the active subs towards each other - away from the side walls.

My BP7000SCs are set 3' from the front wall and side walls.
Yeah my speakers are set up the way u said to except the distance from the back wall. Ill def measure the distance tonight to see what the exact distance is and then rearange from there and try it in dif set ups.

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
Need advice for speaker setup...

I am currently powering my BP2000 towers(original ones from 1995?) from a Denon 3808ci as part of a 5.1 system(including a CLR2000 and BPX's). In asking for suggestions on alternative connections for the towers, someone on another forum told me to consider the following: removing the jumper plates from the towers and using the front speaker connections from the Denon for the tweeter inputs, the unused rear surround connections for the mid-range inputs, and finally running rca cables from the 3808ci's left & right front pre-outs to the subwoofer input on each tower. I had never heard anyone recommend this type of a setup before and have not tried it yet. I may have forgotten to tell the other blogger that I also use a Supercube I in my setup. Although his suggestion may enhance the Subs in the towers over my current single speaker cable setup, I am wondering if that will complement my Supercube I or conflict with it? I am also open to new suggestions to utilize the BP2000's to their fullest potential. I've been considering an outboard amp such as the Emotiva XPA-5 or a used model such as a B&K Reference 7250 Series II( I have their AVR505 and was impressed with it's quality and internal amp). My budget for the external amp would be $750 - $1,500.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am currently powering my BP2000 towers(original ones from 1995?) from a Denon 3808ci as part of a 5.1 system(including a CLR2000 and BPX's). In asking for suggestions on alternative connections for the towers, someone on another forum told me to consider the following: removing the jumper plates from the towers and using the front speaker connections from the Denon for the tweeter inputs, the unused rear surround connections for the mid-range inputs, and finally running rca cables from the 3808ci's left & right front pre-outs to the subwoofer input on each tower. I had never heard anyone recommend this type of a setup before and have not tried it yet. I may have forgotten to tell the other blogger that I also use a Supercube I in my setup. Although his suggestion may enhance the Subs in the towers over my current single speaker cable setup, I am wondering if that will complement my Supercube I or conflict with it? I am also open to new suggestions to utilize the BP2000's to their fullest potential. I've been considering an outboard amp such as the Emotiva XPA-5 or a used model such as a B&K Reference 7250 Series II( I have their AVR505 and was impressed with it's quality and internal amp). My budget for the external amp would be $750 - $1,500.
Don't do it. The reason no one else does that is because it is a total waste of time. Any passive bi-amping (which is this case) is a total waste of time.

If you question your current amp's ability (although the 3808 is a great amp & I doubt that anything is missing in quality), then the XPA-5 should do a great job, but just keep the wiring simple - do not remove those jumper plates on the speakers. You can send the sub output to the speakers. But when you set the AVR3808's speaker setting to LARGE/FULL RANGE for the BP2000s, any low refrequency will automatically to to the sub-section anyway. So there is really no need to even mess with the sub input of the BP2000.

You may just play with the speaker placement as sometimes that may enhance your listening experience.

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
A few more questions...

Thank you AcuDefTechGuy for your advice. I have a few more questions for you: Should I set my CLR and BPX speakers to Large also? If so, what should I set the crossover to - 40, 60, or 80? Should my subwoofer be set to LFE & Main or just LFE? Also, I have the Low Frequency and Equalization dials on the back of the BP2000's set to 12 o'clock. Is that OK? And finally, I have the Low Frequency Output/Gain Buttons set to High Sensitivity vs. Low Sensitivity. Is that OK? Thanks for your help.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I agree w/ DefTechGuy here. The back wall reinforces the output from the rear drivers to the degree that it can sound 'boxed in' if they're too close. Pull them out and listen as room interaction becomes less of an issue and the ambience of the recording itself dominates. Close your eyes, letting the sound create the image in your mind, and see just how well your Def Techs make your walls disappear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Should I set my CLR and BPX speakers to Large also?

If so, what should I set the crossover to - 40, 60, or 80?

Should my subwoofer be set to LFE & Main or just LFE?

Also, I have the Low Frequency and Equalization dials on the back of the BP2000's set to 12 o'clock. Is that OK?

And finally, I have the Low Frequency Output/Gain Buttons set to High Sensitivity vs. Low Sensitivity. Is that OK? Thanks for your help.
I would set the the CLR2000 & BPX to small.

Crossover @ 80 Hz.

Sub to LFE + Main.

12 o'clock on the BP2000 Sub is good.

High Sensitivity is good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis