Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
Thanks...

Thanks AcuDefTechGuy for the additional settings. I will get back to you another time for further help in setting up my Supercube I properly.

V

vgmbpty

Enthusiast
In case anybody wants a Def Tech 5.1 set

In case you know anyone who wants a complete 5.1 set of Def Techs, there is one at ebay, link here

B

bnewt

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone had any experience with replacing the "sock" on Def Tech speakers? Is it difficult?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Has anyone had any experience with replacing the "sock" on Def Tech speakers? Is it difficult?
Never completely taken one off, but as long as your speaker doesn't have a built in amp it should be really easy. Not that it would be much more difficult if you had an amp on your speaker, but it would be more involved.

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
XPA-3 or XPA-5?

I bought an Emotiva XPA-3 for their Holloween sale a few weeks ago(the XPA-5 wasn't on sale yet). I really like how it enhances my BP2000 fronts and my LCR 2000 center channel. Even my BPX rears sound better now that they have my Denon 3808ci all to themselves. Since the center channel blue led light is broken on the XPA-3, Emotiva will allow me to return it on their dime. My question is would I be better off to exchange it for an XPA-5 which is now on sale also or should I stay with another XPA-3? I'm not interested in also getting an XPA-2 at a later date since it won't work in my equipment rack.

V

vgmbpty

Enthusiast
I would get the XPA-5 if possible. Even if you don't use them now, its nice to have them in case you want to expand your system in the future.

C

Cobra5wood

Audiophyte
Upgrade Center or Surrounds?

I'm currently running my Def Tech BP2000's, CLR 2000, BPX's, and Supercube I with a Denon 3808ci/Emotiva XPA-5 setup. Would I benefit by upgrading either the CLR 2000 to a CLR 3000 or the BPX's to BPVX's? I know the drivers in the BP2000's and the CLR 2000 match at 6 1/2" but the BPX's are probably only 5 1/4". Will I notice much of a difference sonically speaking to upgrade either(center or surrounds)? My theater room is quite large at 20' by 26' with a cathedral ceiling from 8' on one side to 16' on the other.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I would consider upgrading to the CLR 3000 just becuase of the built in sub, but I would probably just keep the BPX unless you find a really good deal on some BPVX, since it wouldn't be worth the cost.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Glocks I respect you man (especially in all things DefTech) but have to disagree with you on the upgrade to the LCR3000. First off he already has the awesome LCR2000 which can easily handle bass down to 60hz, the only benefit of adding the LCR3000 is getting that last 20hz so he can cross down to 40hz. Anything below 40hz and the reciever will set the speaker to Large and I would never recommend any speaker (inlcuding one with a built in sub be set to large) the only exception may be the very large BP7000. Heck I even have my 7001 crossed at 40hz because any lower and the bass gets very bloated sounding.

Now what i would recommend Cobra do is buy a simple Prosub 800 or Prosub 1000 and attach that to his center speaker only and via speaker wire from the reciever to the sub and then to his LCR2000 he gets far better sound than the LCR3000. Here's my logic. The LCR3000 has a smaller enlclosure for it's mid range drivers and tweeter and the built in sub takes up the rest of the speaker cabinet that it also shares with a simple 150 watt amp. Now by adding a Prosub to his speaker he gets the benefit of his LCR2000 having it's own larger enclosure for just the mid range drivers and tweeter and then the Prosub which has a far larger enclosure than the LCR3000 sub section, it also benefits by having a built in 300 watt amp and the added bennie of a passive radiator for tighter bass response. Since both options could be crossed at 40hz he will get far better and tighter bass results (as well as being louder) than the all in one combo.

The other great bennie is the cost of a Prosub can be found for about 300.00 brand new, as compared to a LCR3000 at 2-3X the cost. Since he already has the great center, no need to have to bother with selling it either. Granted the LCR3000 is cleaner looking than the LCR2000 and Prosub combo, but the combo will be cheaper and sound better.

Here's how mine looks.

The reason I did this, was my LCR2002 bass response couldn't keep up with my powerful BP7001s, so I tried my buddies LCR3000 and found I had to crank the sub gain to max to keep up and I started to research the cost, then while shopping at Ultimate they had a brand new prosub 1000 on sale for 399.00 I showed them internet pricing and they knocked off another 100.00 so I took it home hooked it up and gave it a spin, the bass out of that prosub was so powerful that I had to set the gain to the 1:00 position so that it didn't overpower my mains. I know have fluid bass acroos the front and all it cost was a 300.00 sub.

By having it hooked up via speaker wire the sub has a non adjustable crossover set at 80hz, so when my reciever is set to 40hz, everything above 80hz gets sent to the LCR2002, everything from 40-80Hz goes to the Prosub and everything below 40hz gets sent to my SVS NSD 12/2 so I get the benefit of tight well controlled mid bass from the Left main, Center and Right main and my SVS handles everything below 40hz for tight well controlled low bass. JMO.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would just keep the present center speaker and set it to small.

All you need the center speaker for is dialogue anyway. Let the subwoofer handle all the bass.

I mean if you have a large Center like the CLR3000, then great.

Otherwise, don't worry too much about it.

J

jkunedo

Audiophyte
Have CLR 3000, 2x 3000TL, 4x BPVX and Trinity. And they are all for sale

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
DefTech 'High Definition'?

I thought i had read somewhere on this forum that if a speaker claimed it was 'High Definition' to avoid it. I'm looking for a pair of Studio Monitor 450's. And guess what it says on the box. 'High Definition'. I saw a picture of the box online...:eek:

...I'm so confused....:confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought i had read somewhere on this forum that if a speaker claimed it was 'High Definition' to avoid it. I'm looking for a pair of Studio Monitor 450's. And guess what it says on the box. 'High Definition'. I saw a picture of the box online...:eek:

...I'm so confused....:confused:
The Audio Critic reviewed the SM450 and gave great blessings upon it. They compared the SM450 to the older B&W 800 Matrix towers. The only thing lacking on the SM450 compared to the 800 Matrix was the bass output, which is understandable since the SM450 is a bookshelf speaker, which I recall goes down to ~ 60Hz @ -3dB.

But there is a reason why there are DefTech-bashers out there - some people hate the marketing hype put out by DefTech. Their speakers may sound great, but many of us wish they would just change their marketing scheme.:D

I've owned the SM450 for a few months. I thought they were great. I used them as Center speaker, and Surround speakers.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
The Audio Critic reviewed the SM450 and gave great blessings upon it. They compared the SM450 to the older B&W 800 Matrix towers. The only thing lacking on the SM450 compared to the 800 Matrix was the bass output, which is understandable since the SM450 is a bookshelf speaker, which I recall goes down to ~ 60Hz @ -3dB.

But there is a reason why there are DefTech-bashers out there - some people hate the marketing hype put out by DefTech. Their speakers may sound great, but many of us wish they would just change their marketing scheme.:D

I've owned the SM450 for a few months. I thought they were great. I used them as Center speaker, and Surround speakers.
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I get that. I found a pair on Audigon for $350.00. I emailed and the guy said he had a deposit on them. So close....
My my BP1.2X's will be here tomorrow so i'm looking forward to that.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I get that. I found a pair on Audigon for $350.00. I emailed and the guy said he had a deposit on them. So close....
My my BP1.2X's will be here tomorrow so i'm looking forward to that.
A year ago I recall seeing some brand new SM450s from 6th AVE for $350/pr total.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Damaged box

Well, my new DefTech speakers arrived about 45 minutes ago. I'm letting them come to room temperature then I'll hook them up and see if I can hear anything.

The UPS guy said "The box is damaged, it's noted on the manifest" as he walking away. No apology just turned his back to me and headed for the truck. I called Vann's not to complain, just to mention the box was ripped. They said "The warranty is for the speakers, not the box" Really? Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.... I took some pics. but can't figure out to upload them into the post.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis