Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was curious about Manolia, because I did purchase my ProCinema 600's from there. I got a quote form a local competitor for 700 bucks and Magnolia matched the price. I was happy because 100 bucks is about 12% off. Could I get them cheaper? I did not open them as yet....

I have another question. When the sales guy played music in stereo with the 600's compared to the 1000's I heard a huge difference. Is this due to the two bookshelf style speakers, that are a bit larger in the 1000 series. I am thinking, that down the road I could simply add these to my set of 600's and have something that comes pretty close to the set of ProCinema 1000's. Am I a bit far off in my thoughts on this?

I'm sure David G. on this forum can get you a better price.

Is there an Ultimate Electronics store where you live?

Also from digitalcraze.com:

ProCinema 1000 with 4 ProMonitor1000 + 1 ProSub 1000 + 1 ProCenter 2000 = $1,400 (including s/h).

ProCinema 1000 with 4 ProMonitor1000 + 1 ProSub 1000 + 1 ProCenter 1000 = $1,230 (including s/h).

Was the ProCinema 1000 @ Magnolia BB with the ProCenter 1000 or Procenter 2000?

The important thing is matching all the driver sizes: 1" tweeters and 5.25" midrange. The ProMonitor 1000 has the 5.25" midrange + 1" tweeter. The ProCenter 1000 only has the 4.5" midrange, while the ProCenter 2000 has the 5.25" midrange.

P

power4u

Audiophyte
Definitive...second hand

Since I did not open my ProCinema 600s yet....

You guys have me thinking. So I searched Craigs list in my area and found some seond and gear.

Please tell me what you think...

Ites include:

Complete surround sound speaker system from

Definitive Technology in beautiful Cherry finish.

Two BP7002 Supertower Speakers – Bi-polar with built-in powered subwoofers

Two BPXV/P Surround Speakers – Bi-polar with built-in powered subwoofers

One C/L/R 3000 – Center channel speaker with built in powered subwoofer

One Supercube Reference Subwoofer – 14” with 1800 watts of power

That is all, for 1800 bucks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I did not open my ProCinema 600s yet....

You guys have me thinking. So I searched Craigs list in my area and found some seond and gear.

Please tell me what you think...

Ites include:

Complete surround sound speaker system from

Definitive Technology in beautiful Cherry finish.

Two BP7002 Supertower Speakers – Bi-polar with built-in powered subwoofers

Two BPXV/P Surround Speakers – Bi-polar with built-in powered subwoofers

One C/L/R 3000 – Center channel speaker with built in powered subwoofer

One Supercube Reference Subwoofer – 14” with 1800 watts of power

That is all, for 1800 bucks.
I would jump on that like a fly on you-know-what.:D

What a bargain!

That's a retail of $5,300 for only $1,800?

Mark L

Mark L

Enthusiast
AcuDefTechGuy I have looked everywhere and I can't find my spec sheet on the DQ-20s these are some old speakers but still have a very good sound to them and I would put them up against a lot of the new stuff out there. From looking at them I would say they are 10" woofers and 5"mids and probably 2" tweeters just from looking at them. Sorry I know that does not help much. Also whats everyones opinion on the UIW BPZ/A inwalls for rears?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AcuDefTechGuy I have looked everywhere and I can't find my spec sheet on the DQ-20s these are some old speakers but still have a very good sound to them and I would put them up against a lot of the new stuff out there. From looking at them I would say they are 10" woofers and 5"mids and probably 2" tweeters just from looking at them. Sorry I know that does not help much. Also whats everyones opinion on the UIW BPZ/A inwalls for rears?
Rear (surrounds) are easy. You can pretty much do anything with them and still sound great. Their only purpose in life is to create an ambience effect. I think the most important thing about surround speakers is the aesthetics.:D

Well, so long-term-wise, do you think you will eventually upgrade your front L+R also?

If you want the best center speaker, then the CLR3000 is it. It has the dual 6.5" midrange/upper bass drivers, 1" tweeter, & 10" subwoofer. Then later, you could upgrade the front L+R to a tower with 6.5" midrange/upper bass (like BP10B, BP7001, BP7000) or a monitor speaker with 6.5" midrange/upper bass (like SM450) plus a subwoofer.

P

power4u

Audiophyte
ProCinema 600's what gauge wire?

I know some say I should use 10 gauge, but has anyone had success with thinner gauge?

I some some 16 gauge wire at a local store, mfr. by Phillips. It looked pretty substantial. Will this be enough for no more than a 30 ft run?

Should I go thicker for the Subwoofer?

What is the downside to going too thin on the wire gauge?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know some say I should use 10 gauge, but has anyone had success with thinner gauge?

I some some 16 gauge wire at a local store, mfr. by Phillips. It looked pretty substantial. Will this be enough for no more than a 30 ft run?

Should I go thicker for the Subwoofer?

What is the downside to going too thin on the wire gauge?
16 guage should still be okay, but I would still get the 14 gauge from Blue Jeans Cable.

Sound-wise, I don't think there will be a difference, but it's just not becoming of a full Audioholic.:D

At least 14 guage.

Order from Blue Jeans Cable right now and you will probably get it by next Tuesday.

G

Guap Oh

Enthusiast
I'm old-school, having bought my DefTechs back in 1996.

Fronts - BP10's
Center - ProCenter C1 (or was it just called a plain C1?)
Surrounds - BP1's

Still sound good to me, so I haven't felt motivated to upgrade, or change, for that matter.
I feel you on this one and my school is even older:

BP 20's (1993)
BP 2's (1993)
CLR 1000 (1993)
SuperCube 1 (2006)

I love'em and wont soon leave them. My HT Preamps and Amps have changed 4X in the time I've owned the Def Techs. Sandy Gross built some gnarly speakers back in the day. I bet Polk Audio still rues the day they let him go.

J

jgw4

Audioholic Intern
Called DefTech today for center speaker recommendations for pairing with 7006's. They recommended the 2300 and said the 2500 or 3000 may be too much. They also recommended the Mythos 3. Any thoughts?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Called DefTech today for center speaker recommendations for pairing with 7006's. They recommended the 2300 and said the 2500 or 3000 may be too much. They also recommended the Mythos 3. Any thoughts?
I don't think "over powering" is the problem.

The rule of thumb is that you match the driver sizes:

1" tweeters, 4.5" midranges of the BP7006 = 1" tweeters & 4.5" midranges of the CLR2300.

The 2500 has 5.25" midranges, and the 3000 has 6.5" midranges.

It's not so important with surrounds, but "ideally" you would match them too.

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

I have the PM700's (sweet little speaker) and I am about to purchase a CLR2300. The question is, is the CLR 2500 a better match because it has the same midrange driver as the PM700's (5.25) or does it matter?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys,

I have the PM700's (sweet little speaker) and I am about to purchase a CLR2300. The question is, is the CLR 2500 a better match because it has the same midrange driver as the PM700's (5.25) or does it matter?
Absolutely get the matching midrange driver size.
Yes, go for the CLR2500.

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
Looking for CLR 2300

The CLR 2300's are now out of stock from a place i found on the web.I know they've been discontinued but superior hi fi.com advertised that they had them until I placed my order and found that they were out of stock.

Anyone have any leads on a CLR 2300 or 2500 in cherry?

J

jgw4

Audioholic Intern
reliable online DefTech dealers

Are there any reliable online deftech dealers anyone would recommend? Is the warranty still valid on these purchases?

B

BobSD

Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy, or anyone that knows definitive speakers. I recently bought a Def sub woofer to make my 5.0 system into a 5.1. I thoght since my towers are the BP7001s, I would not need a sub. I was wrong what a great difference it makes. But now I want to get more highs and mid out of my CLR2500, so I diconnected the gold bands in the back and have then only connected to the highs and mids only, so do I really need to plug the 2500 into an AC. If I did not would it lengthen the life of the 300 watt built in amp?:confused:

Mark L

Mark L

Enthusiast
I have a CLR 3000 and my guy told me that it would work fine without plugging in the amp, that the sub be the only part that did not work. So I would say if you don't want the sub you are fine, but could you not just turn it down on the back?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
AcuDefTechGuy, or anyone that knows definitive speakers. I recently bought a Def sub woofer to make my 5.0 system into a 5.1. I thoght since my towers are the BP7001s, I would not need a sub. I was wrong what a great difference it makes. But now I want to get more highs and mid out of my CLR2500, so I diconnected the gold bands in the back and have then only connected to the highs and mids only, so do I really need to plug the 2500 into an AC. If I did not would it lengthen the life of the 300 watt built in amp?:confused:
The more relevant question would be why wouldn't you want to run your center channel full range when that speaker was clearly designed to be run full range? You don't necessarily have to use the built in sub, but then again what was your impetus behind purchasing this particular center channel as opposed to a passive design? Furthermore, having the low frequency information does not distort your highs and mids nor will you achieve "more highs and mid" as you state by turning off the sub. Is it merely that an outlet is not handy? Of course that wouldn't make sense since it's probably sitting under/over your tv. Heck, if you don't like the 2500, I'll gladly take if off your hands for 20 bucks :D.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just leave the center plugged in and adjust the sub level so that it blends in with the rest of the speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just leave the center plugged in and adjust the sub level so that it blends in with the rest of the speakers.
I agree with GlocksRock. I would leave the CLR2500 plugged in and turn the gain level to the 8 o'clock position. Then set your receiver or pre-pro's center speaker to SMALL in the Setup. I would also leave the gold bands in place.

H

hawk14

Audioholic Intern
PM700 as center channel

Hey guys, I've had difficulty finding a CLR 2300 or 2500 in Cherry, but found a pair of cherry 7004's for sale. What's your opinion of getting the towers and using one of my PM700's as a center channel? The only dilemma is that I would now have one PM700 that would not be used, unless I used both for the center channel, which, IMHO, would be overkill.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis