Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I had known def tech had made a center with no sub and 6.5" mids, I would have gotten that instead of the CLR2002 I have now. I don't really need the sub, but I did like the sound that I got from having 6.5" drivers in my center channel. Looks like they aren't real easy to find anymore either, maybe I'll get lucky and find a good deal on one on ebay or audiogon.
Well, if you can't find the CLR2000, maybe you can save up for Christmas and get yourself the CLR3000 for $700!:D

Maybe DefTech needs to make a new CLR4000, which would have FOUR 6.5" midrange woofers, TWO 1" tweeters, and One 1,000-watts 12" Subwoofer! Then I'll sell you my CLR3000 for $300 and buy the new one.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't have enough clearance in my tv stand to accomodate the sub. The speaker would fit, but there would only be about 1/2" of clearance between the top of the speaker, and the next shelf on the stand, so I don't think that it would sound too good like that.

Hbcueducated

Hbcueducated

Audioholic Intern
Originally, I thought I was going to go with either Boston Acoustics or Energy speakers, and I was intrigued by Mirage. However, aesthetics became the heaviest weighted factor, all other things being equal, and I went with Def Tech. I haven't looked back.

I LOVE the built in powered subs on my BP2006TLs! I was only going to do the Pro Cinema 100 package originally, but then I decided to "man up" switched to the BPs for my front speakers. I have a medium size living room with limited options for speaker placement.

BTW, one of the BPs crapped out on me near the end of the warranty period, actually, a little past it but Def Tech repaired the speaker as in warranty.

Whenever I have guests over for movie night, they are totally impressed with the sound from my set up.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
LOL. I can't believe people are still posting in this thread. Khellandros was banned in like 1956; he would be very proud that this thing hasn't died the death it deserves ;).
And yes, I am a DT whore so I have every right to post here; nyah nyah.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
BTW, one of the BPs crapped out on me near the end of the warranty period, actually, a little past it but Def Tech repaired the speaker as in warranty.
You mean the built-in amplifier section broke after 5 years?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I can't believe people are still posting in this thread. Khellandros was banned in like 1956; he would be very proud that this thing hasn't died the death it deserves ;).
And yes, I am a DT whore so I have every right to post here; nyah nyah.
What is a DT whore?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ummmmm..., I can't remember the definitive (snort:D) criteria for being a DT whore, but if you ask Sheep he'll tell you that I fit the bill ;).
Oh, Lord.
Sheep would call me a DT whore as well!:rolleyes:

D

Darins10

Enthusiast
Packin' heat!

Here is my setup:

Panasonic PT-AE900U (Projector)
Yamaha RX-V1500 (Receiver)
Def Tech Pro Center 2 (center channel)
Def Tech BP10 (mains)
Def Tech BP 2x (surrounds)
Def Tech Pro Sub 80
Nintendo Wii
XBOX 360
Compaq Presario (Windows Media Center)

Mark L

Mark L

Enthusiast
Hello guys I'm new here and have been reading for a while and decided that this was a good enough thread for me to start posting in. I am learning a lot just reading but I now have several questions so don't hammer me to bad if some of them are stupid. I don't actually have Def Tech speakers right now but I am shopping them hard and plan to add some to my system.

1st Question are all of you running 5.1 systems or am I just not seeing the front effect speakers? The reason I ask is that I have mine set up for 7.1 now but have been told that it is not necessary.

Sorry for the long post and I will hold off on the other questions for another post.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hello guys I'm new here and have been reading for a while and decided that this was a good enough thread for me to start posting in. I am learning a lot just reading but I now have several questions so don't hammer me to bad if some of them are stupid. I don't actually have Def Tech speakers right now but I am shopping them hard and plan to add some to my system.

1st Question are all of you running 5.1 systems or am I just not seeing the front effect speakers? The reason I ask is that I have mine set up for 7.1 now but have been told that it is not necessary.

Sorry for the long post and I will hold off on the other questions for another post.:D
If you have 7.1, then it's great.

If you have 5.1, then it's great too.

I've gone back and forth with 5.1 and 7.1. I've actually seen a movie in 7.1 PCM uncompressed audio on blu-ray. Personally, I don't see a lot of difference between 7.1 and 5.1.

If what they say is correct -- that the Center channel gets 50-60% of all the movie soundtrack -- then I guess 30-40% goes to the front L+R, and only 10% goes to the surrounds. So for this 10% to go to 4 surround speakers doesn't seem neccessary.

But hey, if you have 5.1, 7.1, 9.1, 11.1, it's all great.

All I know is that the majority of the soundtrack goes to the front 3 speakers, so I would put most my money on the front 3 speakers.

Another view -- quality over quantity if you have to.
Of course, if you have both quality and quantity, then more power to you.:D

As for me, I'm back to 5.1. (Front L+R is BP7000SC, Center is CLR3000, and Surround L+R is BP7001SC).

I'm about to get another CLR3000 so that I can do TWO CENTER SPEAKERS. That's right -- two center speakers.

I mean if the center channel gets MOST of the movie soundtrack, shouldn't it get more attention?:D

So I want my center channel to get 4 midrange/upper bass drivers, 2 tweeters, 2 subwoofers, and 6 amps.:D

Mark L

Mark L

Enthusiast
Thank you very much for your response, I was beginning to think no one was reading my post. The amp that I have is a Yamaha RX-V1, my front mains are Dahlquist DQ-20s and my sub for now is an M&K mx80. I have an old set of Yamaha surround speakers with with a matching center, so I am in the market for new surround speakers and from what I am reading into what you and everybody else is saying I think I will either get the 2500 or 3000 center, and probably either the Def tech BPX or the BP2Xs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much for your response, I was beginning to think no one was reading my post. The amp that I have is a Yamaha RX-V1, my front mains are Dahlquist DQ-20s and my sub for now is an M&K mx80. I have an old set of Yamaha surround speakers with with a matching center, so I am in the market for new surround speakers and from what I am reading into what you and everybody else is saying I think I will either get the 2500 or 3000 center, and probably either the Def tech BPX or the BP2Xs.
What driver size (midrange/upper bass) do the Dahlquist DQ-20s have?
The CLR2500 has the 5.25" and the CLR3000 has the 6.5" midrange/upper bass.

P

power4u

Audiophyte
Just Bought ProCinema 600 set

I am psyched. I can't wait to install these badboys....

Does anyone have a suggestion (of course you do...) on what gauge wire I ought to use. Does it matter if it is Monster cable or some other big brand?

Also, should I use the connectors on the back or just do an oldschool twist the wire and tighten method?

I found some adequate mounts in a 5 pack for 20 bucks that I will try.

I will power the speakers with a Denon AVR-1908 (BB open box $419.99).

The sales guy wanted me to get the 1000 series. It was twice the price, and I only noticed a big difference in sound when he played stereo music, as apposed to a surround sound movie.

What do you think?:cool:

P

power4u

Audiophyte
Been a Def Tech lover for years.
I will be getting a clr2300 for my center and some bp2x for 7.1 sides.
I love my Magnolia discount!!!
Hey, how much of a discount do you get through BB Magnolia?:confused:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anyone have a suggestion (of course you do...) on what gauge wire I ought to use. Does it matter if it is Monster cable or some other big brand?
I would get the 10 gauge wires from Blue Jeans Cable along with their locking banana plugs. Then I would get the grey 3/4" diameter heat shrink jackets/covers and to finish off. Looks very professional afterwards.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, how much of a discount do you get through BB Magnolia?:confused:
BB Magnolia sells at full retail price. Even with a 12% discount, it's still a rip off IMO.

Where do you buy yours from?

P

power4u

Audiophyte
BB Magnolia sells at full retail price. Even with a 12% discount, it's still a rip off IMO.

Where do you buy yours from?
I was curious about Manolia, because I did purchase my ProCinema 600's from there. I got a quote form a local competitor for 700 bucks and Magnolia matched the price. I was happy because 100 bucks is about 12% off. Could I get them cheaper? I did not open them as yet....

I have another question. When the sales guy played music in stereo with the 600's compared to the 1000's I heard a huge difference. Is this due to the two bookshelf style speakers, that are a bit larger in the 1000 series. I am thinking, that down the road I could simply add these to my set of 600's and have something that comes pretty close to the set of ProCinema 1000's. Am I a bit far off in my thoughts on this?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis