Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, I think I'll really dig the bi-polar setup for movies.
re:ht I can't say, but for music they are so very easy to listen to for hours and hours...just remember, for the proper disappearing act to occur they need some room to breathe, as in 1.5-2' spacing to the back wall.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
How did you guys fix the binding post, my BP2000TLs have a couple broken post, but only about half way. You can still thread the nut on to hold the wire.

As for whoever is looking at the Center channels I really like the CLR 2000, you would have to find a used one on audiogon or something but I think they are pretty good.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
murl contact DefTech and they'll send you brand new posts for free.

Matt34, I actually got my BP7001's brand new from Ultimate for 800.00/ea I happened to walk in as they were placing the pair on the 'demo" shelf and they wanted 1,000/ea for em as "demo" models. So I asked the salesman how long they were used as demo's and he said, "never" they ordered a pair for the main HT room but accidently ordered the ones with the cherry wood end caps instead of piano black, they knew the cherry end were special order and didn't want to display them in their main media room. So their manager said put them on sale 1/2 off as "demo" to get rid of em quick (before shoppers saw they carried cherry end caps). I was speaker shopping and had 1,600 cash on hand. I told the salesmen if he was willing to drop 200.00 per speaker I'd buy em right now out the door for 1,600 (this included tax mind you) he talked to the manager and he said, "get rid of em" so they put em back in their boxes and loaded em for me. I was smiling like a chesire cat for days on that deal.

J

jimter

Audiophyte
How did you guys fix the binding post, my BP2000TLs have a couple broken post, but only about half way. You can still thread the nut on to hold the wire.

As for whoever is looking at the Center channels I really like the CLR 2000, you would have to find a used one on audiogon or something but I think they are pretty good.
murl,
I emailed Chet.Pelkowski at definitivetech.com he sent me a new binding post for free and explained how to change it out. I must say it was really good customer service .

N

nexus99

Enthusiast
New DT owner

Hi all,

Just thought I'd say hi. I just picked up a set of BP200os and a CLR2002.. so now I am a memeber of the club. I honestly had no idea that the 2000s would be so thunderous...

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
nexus, very nice pickup, best advice I can give you is test the 2000's as large first and then as "small" crossed over as low as the reciever will let you go before stting to "Large" this usually is either 30 or 40 Hz. Then let your ears decide what is best. I found by setting to Large the bass was way to boomy, but by setting to small crossed over at 40Hz that the bass tightened right up. It also releives the bass driver from having to push frequencies it can't handle. DefTech is notorious for overstating their low end frequency response. DT claims my BP7001's can go down to 13Hz, but they drop like a rock after 30 Hz (hence why I cross mine at 40Hz. Lowest my Onkyo will go before setting to Large ) I get a true bass reading flat to 26Hz - which keeps in mind what is happening with bass dropping like a rock after 30Hz. In my reading I have learned that what you do is take the lowest number DefTech claims the speaker can do (in my case 13Hz) then double that number and you will get the "true" frequency response that they can handle +/- 5Hz points. DT claims the lowest for the BP2000 is 15Hz, so double that and you can safely cross at 30Hz without any boominess because the speaker should be flat to that level.

For your CLR20002 (which I also own and love) I would cross over at either 60 or 70Hz (but many do so at 80hz) DT claims it can go down to 30Hz but even they recommend a crossover at 60Hz.

Something to keep in mind. As with room size and acoustics, you may find it very helpful to add an outboard sub to help with the real low bass frequency responses, In fact with DT I always recommend a sub along with the powered towers (including the BP7000sc)

Congrats and enjoy the system.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
Hey Matthew and other guys here, what receiver do you think I would be better off with Def Tech SM450? Is it Onkyo 606, HK AVR254 or HK AVR354? I'm looking for the sound quality and also features.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
No crap Matt, somebody got one hell of a deal.

GomGom, the 450's are rated at 91db at 1 watt/1 meter so pretty much any reciever will drive those speakers to awesome levels. The Onkyo 606 should be just fine.

G

GomGom

Audioholic
No crap Matt, somebody got one hell of a deal.

GomGom, the 450's are rated at 91db at 1 watt/1 meter so pretty much any reciever will drive those speakers to awesome levels. The Onkyo 606 should be just fine.
I mean, with the same amount of money, which one would you pick out of those three choices? I found Onkyo 606 is US$490 locally and taxed with 5 years warranty from the shop. While the HK AVR is selling cheap on ebay for refurbished one. Some AVR254 sold ~US$300 and 354 a little bit more.

Matt34

Matt34

I mean, with the same amount of money, which one would you pick out of those three choices? I found Onkyo 606 is US$490 locally and taxed with 5 years warranty from the shop. While the HK AVR is selling cheap on ebay for refurbished one. Some AVR254 sold ~US$300 and 354 a little bit more.
The HK 354 would be my choice as it's the only one with pre-outs and the Faroudja DCDi Cinema video processing with upscaling to 1080p. It's got a much improved GUI also, wish my AVR 330 GUI looked as nice.

M

murl

Full Audioholic
My vote would be the AVR 354 if you can get it relatively cheap, between 500-600, I would not shell out $800 at best buy for it. If I were going to do that I would get a nice Denon. If you can pick up the onkyo for around $400 online, which you usually can that would be my vote. I would also look into some of the Denon's, if preouts matter to you then you will be talking more money but if not you can get a great receiver with alot of features for much less. If you are going to shell out $800 for something like the HK AVR354 my personal preference would be the Denon 2809ci, you can usually get them for around $830.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
I know this is off topic.
But what would be a fair price to sell a set of
BP10b in good condition with box and original receipt
And a CLR2000 same condition.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Hmmm might be interested in the LCR2000. PM me with the details. I had two pair of BP10's (one pair were the 10's and the other 10b's) I bought both pairs for 400.00 (one in a pawn shop and the other on closeout from Ultimate Electronics.) I wound up selling them two years later for 800.00 for both pair to a friend so I could help pay for some BP7001's. So I would think 400.00/pair would be a great price on the BP10's

You should sell the LCR2000 for five bucks and give me first dibs. ;)

G

GomGom

Audioholic
Hey guys, I just found a deal of BP6B for $300/pair brand new. How good is the tower speaker of Def Tech BP6? Is Mythos series better than BP? Do you think it's a steal deal or I would be better off just buy another pair of Def Tech SM450?

M

murl

Full Audioholic
It is a good deal but it really depends on what you have already. If you have the 450s they have a different size driver than the 6Bs do. If you have 450s I would suggest some BP-10Bs because they have 6.5inch drivers. If you really don't care about them being matched I would say go for it, but if you use the 6Bs for mains and the 450s for surrounds you may hear a subtle difference when the sound pans from front to back. I think they are great speakers and you would enjoy them, but I won't buy anything if the drivers don't match what I have already. I am looking at at a pair of BP-10Bs right now for $325 just to give you an idea.

http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=Floor-Standing Speakers&productid=BP6B

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
The BP6B have 4.25" drivers so they will be mismatched with the 6.5" drivers in the Studio 450's. Your best bet is to buy another pair of 450's for the same price (6th ave has the 450's for 248.00 + 50.00 shipping) this way you have better timbre matched speakers and never worry that the 6b's don't match the sound quality of the 450's. If at all possible always go for the same speaker all the way around.

G

gspot

Audiophyte
deftech

hey holics,

Im new here but i do have a pair of bp7000sc which i like very much if i could only stop shattering my tweets and melting my crossovers!
Ive got a yamaha rx870 receiver and a yamaha mx1000 amp.
The speakers are bi-amped from a-speakers and the amp is set at 8 ohms.
The amp levels are set at 5 for L and R.
My tech level is somewhat limited and i hate typing but i would love some feedback (no pun intented) any suggestions would be help!full.
thanx,marc.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
hey holics,

Im new here but i do have a pair of bp7000sc which i like very much if i could only stop shattering my tweets and melting my crossovers!
Ive got a yamaha rx870 receiver and a yamaha mx1000 amp.
The speakers are bi-amped from a-speakers and the amp is set at 8 ohms.
The amp levels are set at 5 for L and R.
My tech level is somewhat limited and i hate typing but i would love some feedback (no pun intented) any suggestions would be help!full.
thanx,marc.
I would not biamp anything.

When you biamp, you are using one amp to power the tweeters and midrange and one amp to SEND signals (not Power) the subwoofer!!!

In other words, total waste of amp because the ONLY amp that can drive the internal subwoofer is the internal 1800 watts amp!!!

I set my subwoofer level to 11 o'clock, but some set it to 10 o'clock.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But what would be a fair price to sell a set of
BP10b in good condition with box and original receipt
I bought a brand new pair of BP10B in the past for $800 + tax, so used would have to be less.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis