Decisions, decisions

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Hey guys/gals. New to the forum. Been watching Audiohaulics YouTube vids for quite some time. Currently looking to replace my much beloved but outdated Denon 5700 Thx Ultra certified receiver. I’ve been looking at quite a few options but I’m terrible when it come to pulling the plug lol. The yammie CX-a5200 and matching amp, the marantz 7705 paired with monoprice 9 ch amp, anthem mrx 1120 or the marantz 8012. Trying to keep the budget as close to 3k-4K as possible. My current setup is Samsung (2018) Q8, Oppo udp 203, Apple 4K tv, Panamax pm 5400, paradigm monitor 7s and matching center channel, def tech bipolar surrounds, paradigm pdr12 sub and 2 def tech super cube subs. I’m looking to go 5.2.4 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thx

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ask your dealers about the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro also. It has State of the Art measurements from Audioholics (Gene, president of AH). The CX-A5200 is newer and sounds just as good, but doesn't have the same SOTA measurements as the CX-A5100, specifically from the front L/R XLR outputs.

In terms of pure power output, I think the ATI-made Monolith 11Ch amp is better than the Yamaha 11Ch amp (MX-A5200, MX-A5000). But the Yamaha 11Ch amp is also a beast for most people. Personally I would still go with the Yamaha (aesthetics, price) since it has enough power for my needs.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey guys/gals. New to the forum. Been watching Audiohaulics YouTube vids for quite some time. Currently looking to replace my much beloved but outdated Denon 5700 Thx Ultra certified receiver. I’ve been looking at quite a few options but I’m terrible when it come to pulling the plug lol. The yammie CX-a5200 and matching amp, the marantz 7705 paired with monoprice 9 ch amp, anthem mrx 1120 or the marantz 8012. Trying to keep the budget as close to 3k-4K as possible. My current setup is Samsung (2018) Q8, Oppo udp 203, Apple 4K tv, Panamax pm 5400, paradigm monitor 7s and matching center channel, def tech bipolar surrounds, paradigm pdr12 sub and 2 def tech super cube subs. I’m looking to go 5.2.4 Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thx
As ADTG mentioned, the CX-A5100 may be a better choice. If you end up going with another receiver, why spend so much on the likes of the SR8012 and MRX 1120? If you can wait until the 2020 models arrival, you will likely be able to take advantage of some deep discounts on the SR7013 or AVR-X4500H. If you can't wait, you can still get a SR6013 for $899, or the AVR-X3600H for a little more. Either one should be a good match for your speakers in terms of power output.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Welcome. Are you from the Burgh?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I get lots of bass outta 3 subs!
Save a little on the receiver and upgrade those subwoofers!

It's not about the amount of bass so much as the quality! I had no idea how much dirty noise my subwoofers were adding (bass frequencies mask distortion better than higher frequencies) until I upgraded to better subwoofers. It was like getting glasses for my ears! I was hearing things in my music I'd not noticed before. Good, clean bass is a different experience and once you hear it you get it.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
As ADTG mentioned, the CX-A5100 may be a better choice. If you end up going with another receiver, why spend so much on the likes of the SR8012 and MRX 1120? If you can wait until the 2020 models arrival, you will likely be able to take advantage of some deep discounts on the SR7013 or AVR-X4500H. If you can't wait, you can still get a SR6013 for $899, or the AVR-X3600H for a little more. Either one should be a good match for your speakers in terms of power output.
I’m just researching every aspect of these receivers. Anthem has ARC room correction but it’s not what I’m basing my decision on solely. I hear the sound is a step above with their chipsets. My room is 14x30 cathedral ceilings. Have a big space to fill. I don’t wanna buy something thats gonna struggle. My biggest fear with not buying a flagship model is I’m gonna be somewhat disappointed in build and sound quality. My Denon 5700 may be old but it sounds amazing with great build quality, loaded with features. I just helped my cousin setup the marantz 8012, it’s a nice piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Ask your dealers about the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro also. It has State of the Art measurements from Audioholics (Gene, president of AH). The CX-A5200 is newer and sounds just as good, but doesn't have the same SOTA measurements as the CX-A5100, specifically from the front L/R XLR outputs.

In terms of pure power output, I think the ATI-made Monolith 11Ch amp is better than the Yamaha 11Ch amp (MX-A5200, MX-A5000). But the Yamaha 11Ch amp is also a beast for most people. Personally I would still go with the Yamaha (aesthetics, price) since it has enough power for my needs.
I do like the Yamaha aesthetics over the marantz. So the issues are with the yamaha pre pro only. The Mx 5200 is ok?

Last edited:
Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Save a little on the receiver and upgrade those subwoofers!

It's not about the amount of bass so much as the quality! I had no idea how much dirty noise my subwoofers were adding (bass frequencies mask distortion better than higher frequencies) until I upgraded to better subwoofers. It was like getting glasses for my ears! I was hearing things in my music I'd not noticed before. Good, clean bass is a different experience and once you hear it you get it.
I’m more of a movie watcher, not big on music in my theater

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m just researching every aspect of these receivers. Anthem has ARC room correction but it’s not what I’m basing my decision on solely. I hear the sound is a step above with their chipsets. My room is 14x30 cathedral ceilings. Have a big space to fill. I don’t wanna buy something thats gonna struggle. My biggest fear with not buying a flagship model is I’m gonna be somewhat disappointed in build and sound quality. My Denon 5700 may be old but it sounds amazing with great build quality, loaded with features. I just helped my cousin setup the marantz 8012, it’s a nice piece of equipment.
Anthem's sound is not a step above, certainly not with their chipsets, those are hearsay!! People paid more for them, and reviewers knew that were sold for more money, so they had to say they convinced themselves....:D

I have read reviews that talked about their chipsets, and schematics of some Yamaha, D&M's, that's what my comments are based on. Actually, Anthem even tell you which DAC chip they used, and for their current models, including the 1120, are the same as D&M's, but are one step below the Denon flagship's X8500H. That is a fact.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
But there's so much better than DT (missed the Paradigm the first read, that one is better). Especially if spending that much on an avr.....
Anthem's sound is not a step above, certainly not with their chipsets, those are hearsay!! People paid more for them, and reviewers knew that were sold for more money, so they had to say they convinced themselves....:D

I have read reviews that talked about their chipsets, and schematics of some Yamaha, D&M's, that's what my comments are based on. Actually, Anthem even tell you which DAC chip they used, and for their current models, including the 1120, are the same as D&M's, but are one step below the Denon flagship's X8500H. That is a fact.
good to know. In a 5.3.4 setup, do u think the denon X8500H would be overkill? I love the way my denon 5700 sounds. Its killing me to part ways with it but im ready for Atmos lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Atmos imo is a absolutely a worthy inclusion. I have 7.3.4 and love it. Not every track is super over the top amazing, but some are. In fact it’s the subtleties I sometimes appreciate more. Also, soundtracks have been hit or miss all through time.
A4L is a good place to buy. Highly recommended. I bought my 6012 there. Love it.
Also, that’s a big space and I’m gonna put on the broken record and nod for some new subwoofage. You may have “plenty of bass” but there is definitely deeper, smoother more linear controlled bass to be had.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Atmos imo is a absolutely a worthy inclusion. I have 7.3.4 and love it. Not every track is super over the top amazing, but some are. In fact it’s the subtleties I sometimes appreciate more. Also, soundtracks have been hit or miss all through time.
A4L is a good place to buy. Highly recommended. I bought my 6012 there. Love it.
Also, that’s a big space and I’m gonna put on the broken record and nod for some new subwoofage. You may have “plenty of bass” but there is definitely deeper, smoother more linear controlled bass to be had.
When u purchased from A4L, did u get original box and accessories? Scratches or dents? Thx

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When u purchased from A4L, did u get original box and accessories? Scratches or dents? Thx
Nope. Looked brand new with literature etc. the ONLY small thing I found was a little part of a finger print.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, $2,800 for the Denon avr x 8500h
That's overkill for your speakers but for that price, Go for it!

Can we all stop using the term 7.2 or 7.3 stop we don't contribute to legitimizing another incorrect term?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis