Decisions, decisions

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When u purchased from A4L, did u get original box and accessories? Scratches or dents? Thx
My experience was the same as Bill's, minus the partial fingerprint, lol. I bought a couple of receivers from them and they were indistinguishable from new. I'm 2 years into my SR6011 and it still performs flawlessly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's overkill for your speakers but for that price, Go for it!

Can we all stop using the term 7.2 or 7.3 stop we don't contribute to legitimizing another incorrect term?
I’m sure this is for me but it’s habit. Just a preemptive “how many subs do you use” thing. I’ll try...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just say its a speaker setup rather than channel designation? :)

The A4L thing...I'd buy from them again, but keep the terms in mind, they are not doing the return on a whim thing.. I did get two bad refurbs on a Denon 4520 before buying a new one from them. Refurbs are done by the factory's contract facility, Panurgy I believe. They aren't in original box, they use a different box but it's sealed, and include all accessories.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m sure this is for me but it’s habit. Just a preemptive “how many subs do you use” thing. I’ll try...
I am using 5 subs in my small HT room and I never felt the need to say 7.5.4.. No I did not direct that appeal to you, but to all:D.

Dealers, professional reviewers, followed by hearsayer (surely unintentionally..) have already successfully popularized the misnomer type of terms such as RMS Output power, or even just output "power" in "watts", speaker "efficiency", when it should have been stated in VA, or Current (A, i.e. amperes) at a specified voltage and the load impedance and most often sensitivity instead of efficiency (though efficiency is a correct term if meant as such). It may seem trivial, but the realities is, that's how so much misconception, misunderstanding and confusion were originated from influential people taking shortcuts instead of educating the public in the beginning.

In comparison though (say to the "watts" and "rms power" things), the term .2, e.g. 7.2.4 is actually quite understandable and acceptable and I have never said anything against it. That's because it at least serves the purpose of letting people know there are two subwoofer outputs that are not two, but one discrete channel but are in fact two discrete outputs electronically/electrically speaking. It is when I see the use of 7.3.x that I think it may be time to saying something about it, but obviously I am saying it with due respect..

Sorry I digressed, it does not really belong to this thread.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks, $2,800 for the Denon avr x 8500h
Take a look of the Japanese and Australian sites to get more info on what you get for $2,800.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
good to know. In a 5.3.4 setup, do u think the denon X8500H would be overkill? I love the way my denon 5700 sounds. Its killing me to part ways with it but im ready for Atmos lol
The 8500 seems to be similarly spec'd as your 5700 as the amp section goes, so not sure what would be overkill unless perhaps the feature set use.....OTOH you could just get something like a 3600 and a nice power amp instead....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
The 8500 seems to be similarly spec'd as your 5700 as the amp section goes, so not sure what would be overkill unless perhaps the feature set use.....OTOH you could just get something like a 3600 and a nice power amp instead....
Even though I decided to keep my 3600 I would recommend going with the 4500 for a little more $. The 3600 does not allow using DTS neaural/x with a Dolby signal and vice verse. I would rather have that option over height virtualization.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even though I decided to keep my 3600 I would recommend going with the 4500 for a little more $. The 3600 does not allow using DTS neaural/x with a Dolby signal and vice verse. I would rather have that option over height virtualization.
I thought they got beyond that....

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
From my understanding Dolby won’t allow “ cross upmixing” on receivers that have Dolby height virtualization. Seems like this is their way around the problems they were having when they were trying to not allowing cross upmixing on any unit.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
From my understanding Dolby won’t allow “ cross upmixing” on receivers that have Dolby height virtualization. Seems like this is their way around the problems they were having when they were trying to not allowing cross upmixing on any unit.
I know Yamaha allows it but there were some rumors for a while that 2018 models might have that issue but it never happened. Gene said Dolby backed down. Maybe your Denon needs a firmware update or something?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
It’s because of the new Dolby up mixer called height virtualization. It’s supposed to mimic Atmos if you don’t have height speakers. I believe they came up with this to have another excuse not to allow cross upmixing. I hope in a future firmware update it will allow it but not able to now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s because of the new Dolby up mixer called height virtualization. It’s supposed to mimic Atmos if you don’t have height speakers. I believe they came up with this to have another excuse not to allow cross upmixing. I hope in a future firmware update it will allow it but not able to now.
Do you have a link to any article or forum thread discussion on that? Just curious because I haven’t seen this discussed here.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Someone posted a link in the thread I started called New Denon avr x3600h owner with questions. I don’t know how to post links but that’s where I began and ended up talking to Denon customer service. It’s not Denon it’s Dolby that’s trying to find a new way to not to allow “cross upmixing “. At least that’s my understanding.
Please prove me wrong because I want to have the choice to use neaural/x on a Dolby signal.lol

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Someone posted a link in the thread I started called New Denon avr x3600h owner with questions. I don’t know how to post links but that’s where I began and ended up talking to Denon customer service. It’s not Denon it’s Dolby that’s trying to find a new way to not to allow “cross upmixing “. At least that’s my understanding.
Please prove me wrong because I want to have the choice to use neaural/x on a Dolby signal.lol
I believe Gene had Mentioned something on Dolby about that. Dolby has been very Protective of their Technology use.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I believe Gene had Mentioned something on Dolby about that. Dolby has been very Protective of their Technology use.
I’m really hoping that I am wrong because that would mean I can choose which up mixer to use instead of Dolby dictating it for me..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Post 346. &. 349 are about upmixer restrictions for Denon 3600.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Higher quality chipsets in the 8500h

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Not likely to be an audible issue, altho I can understand liking having superior gear/spec.....but depends on price for me :)
Its part of the home theater addiction! Lol Once u try great gear its tough to go backwards lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis