Dead Klipsch R-100SW 10" Subwoofer

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What was he supposed to do? You never offered to put your skills to test and build one for him. I have two of those damn things and have fun with them daily. I sleep the sleep of the just nightly. That being said, I'm not opposed to a custom build at reasonable rates. Talk to me Doc.;)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
How does it compare with these crappy 10" Klipsch's? Because they sounded good. And I am no fan of Klipsch subwoofers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
How does it compare with these crappy 10" Klipsch's? Because they sounded good. And I am no fan of Klipsch subwoofers.
I can't possible tell you that! There are no specs, always a very bad sign.

This is ALL we have for specification.

BrandDayton Audio
ModelSUB-1200
Part Number300-629
UPC844632094118
Unit of MeasureEach
Weight44.65
Product Specifications
Woofer Diameter12"

That is is it: TOTO!

I'm not a clairvoyant medium, so I can't possibly answer your question. It is reasonable to assume that if it was any good, they would let you know. So assume they are hiding how awful it really is. That is no way to make any purchase.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What was he supposed to do? You never offered to put your skills to test and build one for him. I have two of those damn things and have fun with them daily. I sleep the sleep of the just nightly. That being said, I'm not opposed to a custom build at reasonable rates. Talk to me Doc.;)
Well, at 76, I'm not in the business of building subs for others, but would be prepared to design one to your specifications. I would also consider having a C & C shop build you one, and you cold install the driver and amp. Shipping would be the difficult part as there would be no custom packaging. So not really practical

You could also have a local custom cabinet shop build it for you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Clairvoyant, maybe not. Town cryer, absolutely. How long exactly has the sky been falling and when is it supposed to hit the ground already? ;) I kid of course. He made a small investment in a sub he can return easily enough if he doesn't like it. I liked mine and kept them.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Fairly cheap and selling the good Klipsch will defray maybe 50% of that. I do not want to spend multiple hundreds for a sub in a small room. When two were working, I had the gains set pretty low. It's worth a try to me.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I can't possible tell you that! There are no specs, always a very bad sign.

This is ALL we have for specification.

BrandDayton Audio
ModelSUB-1200
Part Number300-629
UPC844632094118
Unit of MeasureEach
Weight44.65
Product Specifications
Woofer Diameter12"

That is is it: TOTO!

I'm not a clairvoyant medium, so I can't possibly answer your question. It is reasonable to assume that if it was any good, they would let you know. So assume they are hiding how awful it really is. That is no way to make any purchase.
It’s a placeholder sub almost identical to my old defunct klh 10” sub with duel cheapo ports.
Yeah it’s not a step up on Klipch probably a step down, or side step .
Op can decide if he wants to keep it or not but unless return is free it would cost a lot to return a sub.?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Fairly cheap and selling the good Klipsch will defray maybe 50% of that. I do not want to spend multiple hundreds for a sub in a small room. When two were working, I had the gains set pretty low. It's worth a try to me.
I'm telling ya....you don't need to buy anything.

Set the bad sub on top of the good one.....pull the woofers out of each one.
Get a piece of speaker wire long enough to go from one sub to the other with a little extra.
Put the positive terminal from the working subs amp to the positive terminal on its woofer...connect one end of the speaker wire to that woofers negative terminal.
Route the speaker wire out the port and into the port on the top sub. Connect the same lead of the speaker wire to that subs positive terminal.
Connect the other speaker wire lead to that subs negative terminal.
Back at the working sub, connect the unused speaker wire lead to the negative wire coming out of the amp.
Put the woofers back in.
Now you have two working subs off of one amp....stacked for an increase in output to offset any loss in power by doubling the impedance. (or you don't have to stack them...just use a longer wire..If you kept them set low anyhow, you might not even notice a slightly lower output)

If and when that subs amp goes bad, you can just put in a new one and keep the same arrangement.
I've done this...it works.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

Get a piece of speaker wire long enough to go from one sub to the other with a little extra.
Put the positive terminal from the working subs amp to the positive terminal on its woofer...connect one end of the speaker wire to that woofers negative terminal.
Route the speaker wire out the port and into the port on the top sub. Connect the same lead of the speaker wire to that subs positive terminal.
Back at the working sub, connect the unused speaker wire lead to the negative wire coming out of the amp.
Put the woofers back in.
Now you have two working subs off of one amp....stacked for an increase in output to offset any loss in power by doubling the impedance.

If and when that subs amp goes bad, you can just put in a new one and keep the same arrangement.
I will try this! Thx for your input isolar!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Put the woofers back in.
Now you have two working subs off of one amp....stacked for an increase in output to offset any loss in power by doubling the impedance. (or you don't have to stack them...just use a longer wire..If you kept them set low anyhow, you might not even notice a slightly lower output)

That is not gaining anything over using just one sub. So a series connection like that will halve the output from the amp, with 3 db. loss in output. The fact that there are two drivers one on top of the other, will restore the 3 db. loss, and get you back to the same output as one sub. So all you have done is wasted space.

If the failure is current related, you might prolong the life of the remaining amp.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
That is not gaining anything over using just one sub. So a series connection like that will halve the output from the amp, with 3 db. loss in output. The fact that there are two drivers one on top of the other, will restore the 3 db. loss, and get you back to the same output as one sub. So all you have done is wasted space.

If the failure is current related, you might prolong the life of the remaining amp.
True, which is what I stated...now, if he separates them room interactions will come into play....for better or worse.
This is just a zero cost alternative to purchasing a POS Dayton sub...He wants two running even though he states he didn't notice one had died initially.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just got off the phone with Klipsch. They are sending me a new plate, no charge. I have a 5 year warranty. I thought probably 2 years. It is back orderered. Might be 3-5 weeks.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I just got off the phone with Klipsch. They are sending me a new plate, no charge. I have a 5 year warranty. I thought probably 2 years. It is back orderered. Might be 3-5 weeks.
Well that's unexpected and fortunate !! Good for you...
You can just send me some fudge or an Arbys gift certificate for my suggestion....(i prefer fudge)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I wonder if they are sending a new subwoofer. Not just the plate.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hurray ! Long warranty wow
Same as there speakers .
My bash plate amp only came with 1 year.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I wonder if they are sending a new subwoofer. Not just the plate.
It will be the plate amp. On researching this there is significant evidence that leaving these subs on standby is what causes these failures. So turn them off when not in use.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
A plate is fine. Either is great. I will probably rig up an extension cord switch for both or a remote control if I can find one.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The amp plate arrived today. I installed it and now it works again. Both subs are plugged into the remote control TLS Guy told me about so I can turn off the power easily enough. I will throw the old amp plate in the trash unless someone wants it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis